OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm sorry but this is way too funny plus it's local to me (live around Sterling)

:laugh:

Funniest part was that apparently it wasn’t even a foul. The racist guy who called the cops just got decked running into a screen and he got butthurt about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: G F O P

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ok, I am done with cable. We pay a stupid amount of money every month for DirecTV only because we've always had it and because I don't know a great way to get local sports without cable. Anyone local who has cut the cord and figured out a way to get local sports? I'm looking for feedback on legitimate methods (Sling TV, Apple TV, Hulu Live TV)... not sketchy internet streams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok, I am done with cable. We pay a stupid amount of money every month for DirecTV only because we've always had it and because I don't know a great way to get local sports without cable. Anyone local who has cut the cord and figured out a way to get local sports? I'm looking for feedback on legitimate methods (Sling TV, Apple TV, Hulu Live TV)... not sketchy internet streams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Same....long time DIRECTV customer. Looking at options. Just picked up a Fire Tv 4K to test. So far so good and I’m working all my home automation into Alexa. I love the voice control aspect. It’s getting better and better. Still clunky though for sure, so IMO to not tear your hair out, you probably need to be a home automation enthusiast like me.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Yeah my cox cable bill is pretty crazy when i think about it just one 6 tuner dvr and only one premium cable chanel+interwebs its like 240 and that is having my own router. Anecdotally every time I hit up the Cox Cable store for one reason or another it seems like about 30 percent of the time I see, usually younger folks, turning in cable boxes but keeping internet but of course the monopoly cable just then jacks up the price of 'internet only'.

There are some options for local sports but that topic is not allowed in open here at hfboards. But one would still need to run the numbers sports subscription wise. I'd suggest stripping down to the most leanest cable bill that had the local sports channel that you wanted to compare streaming options.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Can you subscribe to NBC Sports Washington or something?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think I'm going to do Hulu Live TV + Netflix. Hulu Live gets NBC Sports Washington + a bunch of other channels I watch. DirecTV is costing me ~$200/mo; this new solution will cost me $45-50/mo depending on the final package I choose, plus I never have to worry about not being able to watch TV when it rains or snows. Hulu Live also allows you to record and store up to 50 hours of TV which is what I was most worried about losing aside from not being able to watch local sports. All the channels I watch + local sports + no worrying about inclement weather... this kind of seems like it's too good to be true -- maybe I'm missing something? Anyone here have Hulu Live? I assume it runs through the standard Hulu app on PS4 and on smart TVs?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think I'm going to do Hulu Live TV + Netflix. Hulu Live gets NBC Sports Washington + a bunch of other channels I watch. DirecTV is costing me ~$200/mo; this new solution will cost me $45-50/mo depending on the final package I choose, plus I never have to worry about not being able to watch TV when it rains or snows. Hulu Live also allows you to record and store up to 50 hours of TV which is what I was most worried about losing aside from not being able to watch local sports. All the channels I watch + local sports + no worrying about inclement weather... this kind of seems like it's too good to be true -- maybe I'm missing something? Anyone here have Hulu Live? I assume it runs through the standard Hulu app on PS4 and on smart TVs?

Dish sucks when the weather is bad. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Have you demo'd Hulu live for sports before buying? My brothers and I chatted live during the playoffs, I had VZ Fios and one of them was watching the Caps via streams. He was well behind due to lag and said the picture quality wasn't good.

On the general topic since the ISPs control just about everything and Net Neutrality is on its last legs they can price cord cutting options so you don't really save much. Whenever I've looked at their "bundles", based on what I watch it ends up being about the same amount of money as the regular package.

We've complained to VZ so many times about their screw ups in billing they offered us Ultimate HD plus some other crap at no extra charge for 2yrs so we took it.

But yeah, the bills suck and whenever I flip on the Tivo guide and see a zillion channels full of pure bullshit that I will never, ever watch I wonder if there's a better way.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Directv has the same issue with heavy snow or rain. Doesn’t happen a ton here in VA, but it happens enough. In Cali, with limited rain, probably great.

I’ve shopped the, all against each other. Best deals are certainly when you swap to a new provider.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Directv has the same issue with heavy snow or rain. Doesn’t happen a ton here in VA, but it happens enough. In Cali, with limited rain, probably great.

I’ve shopped the, all against each other. Best deals are certainly when you swap to a new provider.
Our cable works fine, it’s just money. DirectvNow is the streaming service.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I cut the cord last summer and have had Sling ever since and I've loved it!

Only a few issues that I've had with Sling:
1) You don't get local ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox channels with them. To fix that, I purchased a mid-tier indoor antenna for $60 at Best Buy and now get all those channels for free so the antenna has already paid for itself.

2) The lag. It's roughly 10-15 seconds behind my parents connection through Fios but it really isn't that big of deal for me.

3) Final issue is the differences between the base packages and channel choices. Sling Orange has ESPN added into it without local sports, while Sling Blue has local NBC Sports and Fox Sports, NBC/ Fox Sports main networks and the NFL Network. You can get both by combining both services for $40 a month instead of $25 a month for either base package.

Positives:
1) I love the fact that it's month to month and I can change my subscription at any time. I've even changed my subscription in the middle of a month and they adjust your bill with a refund (if you get rid of certain channels) or they charge you for the extra at a prorated rate. I get NBC Sports Washington in the Sling Blue package

2) Cheap sports packages. If you get the Sling Blue package you get the NHL Network, NBA Tv, Bein Sports and NFL Red Zone for $10 extra. Redzone alone would cost you a ton more with a major carrier. Also, most of their add on packages are $5 - $10 extra a month

3) Lots of "free previews" for subscribers. We get free previews of HBO, Showtime, etc. at least once a month and sometimes more

4) Taking it anywhere. I've used it to watch tv on my phone, computer and tablet.

5) No more outages. I switched over from DirecTV after having

I'll end with this. It's definitely not for everyone. I recommend trying out as many of the trial periods that you can for each service (Sling, Hulu, DirectvNow, etc.) before making a choice of provider. I ended up with Sling because of the cheap sports packages, NBC Sports Washington being my "regional" provider so I can watch Caps games in the Harrisburg area, and the fact that they have 90% of the channels my fiancee and I watch on a regular basis.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I cut the cord last summer and have had Sling ever since and I've loved it!

Only a few issues that I've had with Sling:
1) You don't get local ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox channels with them. To fix that, I purchased a mid-tier indoor antenna for $60 at Best Buy and now get all those channels for free so the antenna has already paid for itself.

2) The lag. It's roughly 10-15 seconds behind my parents connection through Fios but it really isn't that big of deal for me.

3) Final issue is the differences between the base packages and channel choices. Sling Orange has ESPN added into it without local sports, while Sling Blue has local NBC Sports and Fox Sports, NBC/ Fox Sports main networks and the NFL Network. You can get both by combining both services for $40 a month instead of $25 a month for either base package.

Positives:
1) I love the fact that it's month to month and I can change my subscription at any time. I've even changed my subscription in the middle of a month and they adjust your bill with a refund (if you get rid of certain channels) or they charge you for the extra at a prorated rate. I get NBC Sports Washington in the Sling Blue package

2) Cheap sports packages. If you get the Sling Blue package you get the NHL Network, NBA Tv, Bein Sports and NFL Red Zone for $10 extra. Redzone alone would cost you a ton more with a major carrier. Also, most of their add on packages are $5 - $10 extra a month

3) Lots of "free previews" for subscribers. We get free previews of HBO, Showtime, etc. at least once a month and sometimes more

4) Taking it anywhere. I've used it to watch tv on my phone, computer and tablet.

5) No more outages. I switched over from DirecTV after having

I'll end with this. It's definitely not for everyone. I recommend trying out as many of the trial periods that you can for each service (Sling, Hulu, DirectvNow, etc.) before making a choice of provider. I ended up with Sling because of the cheap sports packages, NBC Sports Washington being my "regional" provider so I can watch Caps games in the Harrisburg area, and the fact that they have 90% of the channels my fiancee and I watch on a regular basis.

Great stuff, thanks!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I've had DirectTV Now and it was flakey and the DVR was non existant. So I went to Youtube.TV and its much better. I get all my local stations, so most local sports, a generally solid DVR and a good interface, no commitment either. The DVR complaints center around how content providers are forcing them (and other streaming platforms) to replace your recorded shows with on demand versions of the shows that doesn't allow you to FF through commercials. Its a major complaint, but its going to happen around all the streaming providers as the content makers force them to make you watch the commericals that make them money. The alternative is your own DVR, but that usually means a cable or satelite dish, or right back where you started. Also if you do actually watch the DVR'd shows soon enough after broadcast, you get full commercial skip functionality because they haven't posted the On Demand version yet.

Most all the streaming live TV services offer free trials... give it a shot.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've had DirectTV Now and it was flakey and the DVR was non existant. So I went to Youtube.TV and its much better. I get all my local stations, so most local sports, a generally solid DVR and a good interface, no commitment either. The DVR complaints center around how content providers are forcing them (and other streaming platforms) to replace your recorded shows with on demand versions of the shows that doesn't allow you to FF through commercials. Its a major complaint, but its going to happen around all the streaming providers as the content makers force them to make you watch the commericals that make them money. The alternative is your own DVR, but that usually means a cable or satelite dish, or right back where you started. Also if you do actually watch the DVR'd shows soon enough after broadcast, you get full commercial skip functionality because they haven't posted the On Demand version yet.

Most all the streaming live TV services offer free trials... give it a shot.

Oh they need to burn in hell if that happens, hah. I mean I've used my cable providers on demand which generally just has 3 commercial breaks (way less than normal broadcast) so it isn't THAT bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad