OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
RIP Art Bell. I spent many late nights studying for exams and typing papers listening to his show back then.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
No Winds of Winter for 2018. Actually not surprised coming into the last season as I figure this next book to be pretty different than the show adaptation so why muttle things going before the last season shows.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So here I am again, toying with the idea of finally buying the big OLED tv I so richly deserve, especially if the Caps advance and I can’t get back to DC.

But someone told me recently that some of these ultra hi def screens, while great for sports, make everything else look like a telenovella. Another person said this issue had to do with the hertz and that lower hertz didn’t have this issue.

Anyone have any advice to offer?

We definitely want a tv that’s great for movies and shows as well as hockey. Don’t need gaming support.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So here I am again, toying with the idea of finally buying the big OLED tv I so richly deserve, especially if the Caps advance and I can’t get back to DC.

But someone told me recently that some of these ultra hi def screens, while great for sports, make everything else look like a telenovella. Another person said this issue had to do with the hertz and that lower hertz didn’t have this issue.

We definitely want a tv that’s great for movies and shows as well as hockey. Don’t need gaming support.

I haven’t bought a TV in about 8 years so I don’t have any specific TV recommendation, but the “soap opera” setting you refer to (sometimes called interpolation mode or similar name) can be turned on or off on all modern TVs. It’s annoying because most default to On and I’m with you that that setting sucks for everything but sports. Fortunately you can just turn it off.

This setting has little to do with refresh rate/hertz which is just the maximum frame rate the TV can handle.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I'm probably the most nerd videophile here. /throws down gauntlet. I picked up a LG 65" Oled B series this past fall as a successor to my Pioneer Kuro Elite plasma (got it for around 2200 on black friday). Been very happy with it. Regard the 'soap opera video cam' effect one just needed to disable the video smoothing-like option. Definitely the OLED handles hockey like my plasma. Could never handle the LCD with the artificial smoothing with sports and just as much as with what it is like without it just natural. Basically using the settings from rting.com. It is fantastic for hockey and any sport I've watched.

The LG web os is pretty decent with the dedicated buttons for neflix and amazon prime apps (hulu app is pretty good). The netflix app is good the amazon prime app is meh so I end up using the latest 4k amazon fire tv. 4k streaming with HDR titles really pop.

I picked up the Oppo UDP-203 as when researching the 4k blu-ray players there was always some gremlin or not flexible enough HDR codec support. Its a little pricey at 500 bucks but been completely happy with it especially seeing how many competing HDRs we have at the moment (HDR10, Dolby Vision, and others). I will say that the Dolby Vision HDR titles totally f'ing pop and look fantastic. Also has two HDMI outs with one being audio only which is a godsend for people like myself who don't have a receiver with 4k pass through atm.

I do give the old 8 year old Kuro Elite the nod in black detail even though it can't hit the low blacks of the Oled panel but the difference is not enough to bother me and sometimes its due to the content where there is a loss of detail in the black. But he could probably get the thing callibrated just haven't at this point.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I always wonder my Kolzig's number was never retired by the Capitals. It should be and he was a stellar goaltender for the Capitals for a very long time.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Co-worker just showed me the trailer for the latest Melissa McCarthy movie. So inappropriately funny.

I'd post a link to the trailer but I think its against the site rules. Google "The Happytime Murders" trailer. Wow.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Trying to get around to seeing Deadpool 2 or Solo this weekend depending on the results of Thursday's game. If anyone's seen both which would they recommend? I'm leaning Deadpool 2 based on the limited reviews I've seen.

It's crazy how many big movies dropped over the course of the past month and half. I feel like Deadpool and Solo were overshadowed a bit by Avengers

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Trying to get around to seeing Deadpool 2 or Solo this weekend depending on the results of Thursday's game. If anyone's seen both which would they recommend? I'm leaning Deadpool 2 based on the limited reviews I've seen.

It's crazy how many big movies dropped over the course of the past month and half. I feel like Deadpool and Solo were overshadowed a bit by Avengers

I’ve seen both, wasn’t enamoured with Solo, but did a rewatch last night and enjoyed it more the 2nd time.

DP2 is a gauranteed like if you liked the first.

Reactions: hb12xchamps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad