OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I really had no idea there was some “thing” with their fans.

I just love the subject matter...smart sci fi with crudeness. The interdimensional stuff is so well done.

Reactions: g00n

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hurricane Flo. Landfall is pointing towards inevitable from pretty far out. It may not regenerate and fo fizzle out, or bolt out to sea.

EDIT SHIFTED SOUTHWARD

Cane forecasting is nearly impossible but we are in the game right now. Remember last year a cane scrapped Cuba Rico 11th hour which killed the eye and largely spared Florida.

06L_gefs_18z.png

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Half of those plots are at or above the northernmost possibility currently forecasted by the national weather service.

upload_2018-9-8_7-0-24.png

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep - guidance shifted south after I click post reply. You can thank me later.

Flashing back - Isabel was a pretty badass storm. My friends and I took a walk at its onset and a tree feel down right next to us landing on a car. It was so loud that we didn't hear it at all. Us weather nerds are lucky to be alive I suppose.

NHC Quote from 11p last night
""Unfortunately with such a large well-defined steering current from the ridge becoming likely, the extended-range risk to the U.S. keeps rising, which is confirmed by the majority of the latest ensemble guidance."

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Different models are predicting a stall of Flo which is a disaster scenario. Some areas approaching 70+" of rain. OBX slammed for 4 days.

But its a hurricane so likely none of this happens. But the best forecast is the forecast and emergency planners use this stuff. VA has declared a state of emergency. The current runs are putting us back in the game.

Weather pron.

giphy.gif

There is no color for 20"+ inches of rain let alone 67.2 so they post the number.

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2018090818_240_480_220.thumb.png.61c151108ccf517d0b1cc5a6d92a38ce.png

Last edited:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The Athletic hired David Aldridge as sports Editor in Chief for the DC section. I know they brought in Tarik and others for Skins coverage, wonder who they will get for the caps? I haven’t pulled the trigger on a subscription until that drops, but inching closer.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Caps and/or Ticketmaster have made it a real pain in the ass to transfer tickets. I'm sure that's intentional. I bought a pair off of StubHub for the Nov 5 game against Edmonton, and I can't print them. I have to go through a Ticketmaster account to access them, and use my phone to get in the stadium.

You used to be able to just email people PDF tickets.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Caps and/or Ticketmaster have made it a real pain in the ass to transfer tickets. I'm sure that's intentional. I bought a pair off of StubHub for the Nov 5 game against Edmonton, and I can't print them. I have to go through a Ticketmaster account to access them, and use my phone to get in the stadium.

They’re trying to control the aftermarket....

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Yep. They made this change a few years ago. If you want to sell them on a service other than the Caps'/NHL's resale service (like stubhub), you have to mail or drop off the physical tickets to the stubhub office in DC (which they opened explicitly for this purpose).

Major, major reason I canceled.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Athletic hired David Aldridge as sports Editor in Chief for the DC section. I know they brought in Tarik and others for Skins coverage, wonder who they will get for the caps? I haven’t pulled the trigger on a subscription until that drops, but inching closer.

I kinda hate The Athletic and this model of having to pay for specialized content. I pay for the Post so I can read things on many topics so I can't see how paying for guys like Tariq and Grant Paulsen (whom I can't stand) is in the cards for me.

Also I think Kimberly Martin left the WaPo. Makes me really appreciate the Caps beat writers as she was pretty lackluster. I didn't even know she left until I saw a new name on a story about the Redskins.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I kinda hate The Athletic and this model of having to pay for specialized content. I pay for the Post so I can read things on many topics so I can't see how paying for guys like Tariq and Grant Paulsen (whom I can't stand) is in the cards for me.

Also I think Kimberly Martin left the WaPo. Makes me really appreciate the Caps beat writers as she was pretty lackluster. I didn't even know she left until I saw a new name on a story about the Redskins.

I’m with you....I pass on paying for specialized content....

Reactions: calicapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you live anywhere near the projected path of Hurricane Florence: stock up on essentials now. It'll be too late tomorrow (if it's not already).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That Florence stall has been forecast in multiple models for days now.

The coast could get wrecked if it sits just off shore or strolls in slowly. The wind field is f***ing humongous. This model has getting on shore taking close to a day and winds will diminish as it gets on land but still.

mYtvROO.gif

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really enjoy listening to Pardon My Take and I hate the fact that those guys took the brute force of something Dave Portnoy said. I could never get into listening to Portnoy because he is an asshole, Boston homer and has the worst sports takes of all time.

I also hate the fact that everyone makes Sam Ponder out to be some sort of saint in all of this. She and a few others at ESPN were the driving force behind getting the Barstool Van Talk show canceled after one episode and now she's posting apparent lies on her instagram stories? This was all over and done with until she poked the bear again and now Barstool is going to profit from it.

The shitty thing is that Big Cat and PFT are very good at what they do and their show would have been another outlet for them to get celebrities and athletes to open up more instead of being these boring PR robots. They have been bystanders to the whole thing and have been mostly quiet about their show being canceled besides the occasional joke and their podcast episode detailing what happened directly after the show was canceled.

I would not be surprised to one day see the Pardon My Take guys move on from Barstool so they can expand on their brand and distance themselves from these controversies. They are the number 1 sports podcast for a reason, and I'm sure other outlets would acquire them if given the chance.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I really enjoy listening to Pardon My Take and I hate the fact that those guys took the brute force of something Dave Portnoy said. I could never get into listening to Portnoy because he is an *******, Boston homer and has the worst sports takes of all time.

I also hate the fact that everyone makes Sam Ponder out to be some sort of saint in all of this. She and a few others at ESPN were the driving force behind getting the Barstool Van Talk show canceled after one episode and now she's posting apparent lies on her instagram stories? This was all over and done with until she poked the bear again and now Barstool is going to profit from it.

The ****ty thing is that Big Cat and PFT are very good at what they do and their show would have been another outlet for them to get celebrities and athletes to open up more instead of being these boring PR robots. They have been bystanders to the whole thing and have been mostly quiet about their show being canceled besides the occasional joke and their podcast episode detailing what happened directly after the show was canceled.

I would not be surprised to one day see the Pardon My Take guys move on from Barstool so they can expand on their brand and distance themselves from these controversies. They are the number 1 sports podcast for a reason, and I'm sure other outlets would acquire them if given the chance.

The PMT guys SHOULD take heat for signing on with Barstool to begin with. They knew the type of person Portnoy was and the type of organization Barstool was when they signed on. As you mentioned they have the talent and the following to leave and sign elsewhere, and yet they haven't. Until they do I can only assume it means they tacitly endorse the toxic masculinity that Barstool spews out.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Deadspin is shit and Portnoy is a terd, but loathe as am I to defend him, everything Portnoy said is right. Grind your axe against Barstool with another story that actually has some teeth and some merit.

Also, you quoting Deadspin to make a point against Barstool is bad, like [insert Dale Hunter bad gif] levels of bad. Deadspin tried to be Barstool but failed. Miserably. Now they're jaded and jealous and snip at their ankles every chance they get.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

On Sunday, according to KDFW-TV (Channel 4), her son-in-law lured the alligator with a seasoned raccoon set over the pond and called to let Cochran know the elusive beast had finally been bagged.

Being in a meeting at the time, she had to wait a bit before she could grab her Winchester .22 Magnum.

"Don't mess with Nana," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad