Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oh they need to burn in hell if that happens, hah. I mean I've used my cable providers on demand which generally just has 3 commercial breaks (way less than normal broadcast) so it isn't THAT bad.

I've read some reports that the on demand stuff on various streaming providers (like YoutubeTV, which is owned by Google) have MORE commercials, since you can't skip them. Advertisers pay a lot more for commericals you're going to watch than for those your going to skip, so streamers are falling pray to that scenario. Its a situation that pits media giants whic hare all merging with cable/sateltite providers, vs people who hate the media giants and cable/satelite providers. People, think, and I happen to agree, that if you pay the monthly service fees, you should be free to watch without commercials. Free over the air stuff, sure, commercial that shit up all they want.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I saw Zac Brown Band at Nats Park on Friday night... wow. Those guys are incredible. You don't get a sense for how talented they are at their respective instruments or how creative they are until you see them live.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I saw Zac Brown Band at Nats Park on Friday night... wow. Those guys are incredible. You don't get a sense for how talented they are at their respective instruments or how creative they are until you see them live.
Giant "meh' from me. Granted, I was merely the accompanying husband, and recognized only one of their songs. The strangest bits were that if you count all of the encore 1-2 minute snippets, they played 13 cover songs (yes, I counted), and they took an intermission an hour into their set. Maybe there's just a different standard for country bands, but it was well below what I'm used to. Low energy, low volume concert to a half-empty stadium. Your wife should not be able to maintain a conversation for most of the show!

That said, I did have a good time and can absolutely appreciate their musicianship. I also learned that if you use street parking, the parkmobile app doesn't seem to charge the special event rates shown on the signs. We paid something like $9.13 for 5 hours.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is it bro-country? Nooooo thank you. There are plenty of great musicians out there, no need to waste talent on that noise.

That said, a lot of covers wouldn't surprise me. Very easy to countrify bro anthems or bro-ify country anthems.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Giant "meh' from me. Granted, I was merely the accompanying husband, and recognized only one of their songs. The strangest bits were that if you count all of the encore 1-2 minute snippets, they played 13 cover songs (yes, I counted), and they took an intermission an hour into their set. Maybe there's just a different standard for country bands, but it was well below what I'm used to. Low energy, low volume concert to a half-empty stadium. Your wife should not be able to maintain a conversation for most of the show!

That said, I did have a good time and can absolutely appreciate their musicianship. I also learned that if you use street parking, the parkmobile app doesn't seem to charge the special event rates shown on the signs. We paid something like $9.13 for 5 hours.

See, a lot of what you hated I loved. Hearing them cover Metallica and Beastie Boys was pretty neat and their interludes with them just jamming for 20 minutes on the violin or bass guitar appealed to the music purist in me, plus I knew 90% of the songs they played. I like their sound. I am not a traditional country music fan but I can jam to bluegrass on occasion and ZBB's music sounds very "beachy" to me. The energy was lower than I expected at the beginning, for sure, but I thought it ended a lot stronger than it started. We have friends who work in the ticket office at Nats Park and they said that Zac comes to DC so often they have trouble selling out the venue but I thought by the end of the show it looked 85% full. We also had beers and no kids for the evening so they could have sat there for two hours in silence and I would have thought it was great.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Do yourself a favor and go to a Metallica show the next time you have a chance (they'll be in Phully in October, though I have no idea on the ticket situation). That'll make you feel a whole lot different about ZBB in concert.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Do yourself a favor and go to a Metallica show the next time you have a chance (they'll be in Phully in October, though I have no idea on the ticket situation). That'll make you feel a whole lot different about ZBB in concert.

I haven't seen Metallica since the late 90s. Do they still bring it live?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
For me the last time I saw Metallica in concert for the And Justice For All tour (Cap Center no less and w/backstage passes=GG working at Tower Records in Tysons Corner/Pike 7 Plaza and been working for a company for the past 16 years off of Westwood Center Dr. so can't escape my past) was the last time it was ever appropriate to see them in concert. And the concert was awesome with the statue of liberty crumbling down as the finale.

Apologies for the personal oversharing.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Had a long conversation with someone this weekend about HFStival back in the day. I'll forever remember listening to 99.1 the night HFS went dark. Felt bad, man.

Yeah I grew up with HFS and been to my share of HFStival's. Can still remember turning on HFS the day after it changed format hearing Hispanic music and being really depressed.

Last HFStival I went to was at Raven's Stadium in 2005. Saw Billy Idol live and he was awesome. Then I almost got kicked out of the stadium because, while properly lubed up, I got into a debate turned argument with a bartender in the club level about why I couldn't smoke inside at the bar while enjoying my drink even though I didn't smoke. My wife had to save my ***. She did that a lot in those days.

Want to share this because its hilarious:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Read the article. Sounds like men won't stop whipping it out by any convenient tree, so this is an improvement. It's not as if they weren't urinating in public already.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Read the article. Sounds like men won't stop whipping it out by any convenient tree, so this is an improvement. It's not as if they weren't urinating in public already.

From my experience, it's mostly drunk people who do that. They will do it anywhere, against a wall, behind a tree, in the river...

Public bathrooms aren't free in Paris, and they smell awful to say the least. They're unusable.

Toilettes-publiques-%7C-630x405-%7C-%C2%A9-OTCP.jpg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
From my experience, it's mostly drunk people who do that. They will do it anywhere, against a wall, behind a tree, in the river...

Public bathrooms aren't free in Paris, and they smell awful to say the least. They're unusable.

Toilettes-publiques-%7C-630x405-%7C-%C2%A9-OTCP.jpg
Yes. I've experienced that. The urinals of course, spare able-bodied men from the pleasure of these lovely spots and leave we ladies and folks with disabilities to suffer with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad