Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo - Caps 3 BRUINS 0

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They just do not have enough top quality players and the true Bruins are starting to show. They sure need a top 6 centre and a top 4 D.

Frederic is good against the not so tough teams but you see nothing against the heavy teams with muscle. Not even a good hit to try and change the momentum from any of the Bruins.

Goaltending will keep you in games but you have to produce some offence.
Neither Calgary nor Washington are “heavy teams with muscle”. And the Bruins are T4 in goals for, first in the East.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Neither Calgary nor Washington are “heavy teams with muscle”. And the Bruins are T4 in goals for, first in the East.
You would never know it as they were free to roam at will. I do not see anybody give Wilson a good hit to change momentum. They are soft and the same old thing will happen in the playoffs another quick exit. They are just not good enough for the playoff hockey rigors.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You would never know it as they were free to roam at will. I do not see anybody give Wilson a good hit to change momentum. They are soft and the same old thing will happen in the playoffs another quick exit. They are just not good enough for the playoff hockey rigors.
Sure why not

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I knew a guy in college named Lenny P. Enos. :help:
There was a guy that worked at the government subcontractor that I worked for at Hanscom AFB for a dozen years of my yute, his last name was also Enos. IIRC, his name started with a "P" He used his first initial and last name on documents etc. Funny nobody said word one about it but he was up there in the "pecking" order (no pun intended).

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Don't be too positive.

Reactions: lopey

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It stinks watching the effort they give in front of Sway they should be ashamed. I moving both Jake and Matt at this point
Funnily enough, Jake was the best forward out there in this game. He wasn't a passenger. He was out there hustling. Trying to make plays. Why are we trading a guy who gives a shit?

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
It's that time of the season as well when there's extra stress in the room due to the upcoming trade deadline. It's got to be on some of these guys' minds that they may not be finishing up their careers as Bruins. It's not like we have any picks to give. If anything, some players may be traded for picks far below their perceived value, just to stock our prospect cupboard for the future. And no matter what Sweeney does, we aren't getting out of the first round. We are unable to sustain a physical playoff style for more than one game per week or two.
Play like you WANT to stay in Boston!!!

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
At least Grzelcyk brought his usual sandpaper and cup-checked Pacioretti, which seemed to keep Tom Wilson from running around. ;)

I think the B's checked out mentally; let's just hope it's temporary.

They had a big win in Philly before their break, enjoyed their time off, and are in the comforts of home for nearly the entire month of February. They did rise to the occasion against Vancouver; but even that game got off to a sluggish start.

It's believed old-school hard-nosed coaching doesn't resonate with players today; so I don't know that a bag skate is in order.

The B's have been strong character guys, so it's surprising they brought such a lackluster effort for paying fans.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Totally understand what you’re saying, and it’s as sad as it is accurate.

At 53, with my best days far in the rear view mirror, I’d love to be able to make every guy on the roster see things through my eyes.

Most of them have about a 7-8 year window as an NHL’er. That’s a scant 84 - 96 months of their lives, where they are fortunate enough to be able to be among the greatest in the world at a game most of us would play for much less than they get paid.

I couldn’t imagine sitting at home 10 or 20 years after playing in the NHL, knowing I floated through even 10 games in my career.

I hear you, and it's a good point. The counter argument starts with a question - do you give your best every day you go to work? If you do that's great, but most people don't. And while being a professional hockey player is a very special and unique and well-paid job, it's still a job. And these things are always relative - most of these guys have never known anything else. So human nature dictates they will have good days and bad days, better efforts and worse, even in a job that many of us fans consider more a dream hobby than work.

The modern player is told often how lucky they are, how privileged, how short careers can be, how much they should cherish what they do while it lasts, and I'm sure most of them genuinely buy into all that. But in the day-in, day-out of the grind (and stress), inevitably that message gets lost or obscured sometimes. The length of the season tells against it too - if any player, no matter how fit or talented, gives 100% through 80+ games, they'll be burnt out by the time the crunch stuff even starts. So right from the beginning they're having to play the long game, and that's a slippery slope.

The challenge for the coaches and staff is to keep the players up and about, motivated and engaged, as much as possible, while monitoring their minutes, energy, fitness etc. at the same time as the months tick by. Last year's Bruins had the motivation in spades, but I'm not sure their energy and fitness management were optimal. Let's see if they can do better with that on the run home here.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
We shouldn't over react though. This team is in first place and after last year it's really hard for this group to get up for regular season games I imagine. I can understand that. They are on a long at home stand and were probably all thinking about their superbowl parties and forgot to show up. It happens. I'm not going to worry until it becomes a longer trend.

I do think they have weaknesses for the playoffs though and an early exit would not surprise me either.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hear you, and it's a good point. The counter argument starts with a question - do you give your best every day you go to work? If you do that's great, but most people don't. And while being a professional hockey player is a very special and unique and well-paid job, it's still a job. And these things are always relative - most of these guys have never known anything else. So human nature dictates they will have good days and bad days, better efforts and worse, even in a job that many of us fans consider more a dream hobby than work.

The modern player is told often how lucky they are, how privileged, how short careers can be, how much they should cherish what they do while it lasts, and I'm sure most of them genuinely buy into all that. But in the day-in, day-out of the grind (and stress), inevitably that message gets lost or obscured sometimes. The length of the season tells against it too - if any player, no matter how fit or talented, gives 100% through 80+ games, they'll be burnt out by the time the crunch stuff even starts. So right from the beginning they're having to play the long game, and that's a slippery slope.

The challenge for the coaches and staff is to keep the players up and about, motivated and engaged, as much as possible, while monitoring their minutes, energy, fitness etc. at the same time as the months tick by. Last year's Bruins had the motivation in spades, but I'm not sure their energy and fitness management were optimal. Let's see if they can do better with that on the run home here.

@Aussie Bruin - The no-show against Calgary was predictable as the Flames were in game mode a day before having to fly in.

I can't explain what happened against Washington. The Bruins had a practice on Friday and the game was on national TV and it was obvious 5 minutes in they were in trouble.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Totally understand what you’re saying, and it’s as sad as it is accurate.

At 53, with my best days far in the rear view mirror, I’d love to be able to make every guy on the roster see things through my eyes.

Most of them have about a 7-8 year window as an NHL’er. That’s a scant 84 - 96 months of their lives, where they are fortunate enough to be able to be among the greatest in the world at a game most of us would play for much less than they get paid.

I couldn’t imagine sitting at home 10 or 20 years after playing in the NHL, knowing I floated through even 10 games in my career.
At 71 and with the #1 thing on my bucket list is to see the Bruins win the cup on home ice (with me and @GahdenRinkRat in our seats)...time is running out.

I saw Chicago and St Louis win in front of me.

Honestly, I have to say that the Bs are in a far better place in the standings then I thought they would be...but now I want more.

IMO...we need a center and an enforcer. Where to get these players...I do not know.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My daughter went to that game last night. She sat in a different section.

She has an early flight so I was going to drop her off at a hotel at Logan last night after the game, but she got a room with two beds so I stayed in Boston. Woke up at 3 am. I see a few others are awake also.

@Aussie Bruin - The no-show against Calgary was predictable as the Flames were in game mode a day before having to fly in.

I can't explain what happened against Washington. The Bruins had a practice on Friday and the game was on national TV and it was obvious 5 minutes in they were in trouble.
Hey @Fenway ... do you ever sleep?

Reactions: lopey and caz16

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
At least Grzelcyk brought his usual sandpaper and cup-checked Pacioretti, which seemed to keep Tom Wilson from running around. ;)

I think the B's checked out mentally; let's just hope it's temporary.

They had a big win in Philly before their break, enjoyed their time off, and are in the comforts of home for nearly the entire month of February. They did rise to the occasion against Vancouver; but even that game got off to a sluggish start.

It's believed old-school hard-nosed coaching doesn't resonate with players today; so I don't know that a bag skate is in order.

The B's have been strong character guys, so it's surprising they brought such a lackluster effort for paying fans.
You’re right. Bag skate won’t work. Try no cell phones in the locker room

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

She has an early flight so I was going to drop her off at a hotel at Logan last night after the game, but she got a room with two beds so I stayed in Boston. Woke up at 3 am. I see a few others are awake also.

I too wonder if @Fenway ever sleeps! I am an insomniac and it seems that I am not alone. Often I am up, reading the board, and there are new posts.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@Ladyfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
At 71 and with the #1 thing on my bucket list is to see the Bruins win the cup on home ice (with me and @GahdenRinkRat in our seats)...time is running out.

I saw Chicago and St Louis win in front of me.

Honestly, I have to say that the Bs are in a far better place in the standings then I thought they would be...but now I want more.

IMO...we need a center and an enforcer. Where to get these players...I do not know.
Resurrect Reg
Fleming just juice jk

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I get it but I choose not to
Last night I could see why there was booing by some fans. I don't really like it and hate it when they boo the power play, that can never help. I wouldn't do it myself either. I do feel bad for people who paid to watch that. I have only been to one game in Boston and thankfully they beat the Flyers handily, I would have been so sad if they had played like they did last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad