Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo - Caps 3 BRUINS 0

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The thing with Frederic is he shows glimpses of being so much better,then goes back to just floating around,which results in him becoming another healthy scratch in the playoffs probably again,it’s very frustrating.

Well you are pretty much describing most third line guys in the league.

Unfortunately there’s top 6 guys on this team that are put in better positions than Frederic and are performing worse than him

Reactions: Kegs

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I hear you, and it's a good point. The counter argument starts with a question - do you give your best every day you go to work? If you do that's great, but most people don't. And while being a professional hockey player is a very special and unique and well-paid job, it's still a job. And these things are always relative - most of these guys have never known anything else. So human nature dictates they will have good days and bad days, better efforts and worse, even in a job that many of us fans consider more a dream hobby than work.

The modern player is told often how lucky they are, how privileged, how short careers can be, how much they should cherish what they do while it lasts, and I'm sure most of them genuinely buy into all that. But in the day-in, day-out of the grind (and stress), inevitably that message gets lost or obscured sometimes. The length of the season tells against it too - if any player, no matter how fit or talented, gives 100% through 80+ games, they'll be burnt out by the time the crunch stuff even starts. So right from the beginning they're having to play the long game, and that's a slippery slope.

The challenge for the coaches and staff is to keep the players up and about, motivated and engaged, as much as possible, while monitoring their minutes, energy, fitness etc. at the same time as the months tick by. Last year's Bruins had the motivation in spades, but I'm not sure their energy and fitness management were optimal. Let's see if they can do better with that on the run home here.

Great points, and I’m not replying in an argumentative way. Just looking at it differently.

All I can counter with is that my job isn’t a privilege. In fact, quite the opposite, as I often lament being good at what I do because of how mentally exhausting and emotionally draining it can be.

I guess, I can say this about my effort level: while I certainly do not give it my all every day. I can say that there at least 100 days a year, where something important is going on that requires me to give my best…..my ”gamedays” so to speak. Like the players, those are the days where I can’t slack off. Sure I’ve made mistakes or wrong decisions on those days, but it wasn’t because I was being lazy or mailing it in.

Players miss the net, make a bad pass, miss a coverage, it just happens.

But, not hustling, making the same exact mistake in the same game, and not hitting or forechecking hard are different from just making a mistake, IMO.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
95% of NHL games are like watching really good players play shinny these days. There is very little emotion in the game anymore.

SWAYMAN having a nice chuckle with Tom Wilson.

Debrusk constantly talking to other teams players.

Marchand is the only Bruins who shows up every game and actually gives a lick.

I understand the team has overachieved this season but they have won nothing IMO as I expect pro's to compete. Off nights are one thing but someone beside your captain hit someone, stir up some shit..SOMETHING.

Hilarious (IMO) story about fraternizing with the enemy,

In grade school in the spring, we’d often bring our gloves and baseballs to school so we could play catch at recess.

When I tried out for the first time, I found out on a Wednesday or Thursday that I made it on the team that won the league the previous 2 years. I was on cloud nine.

We had our first practice on Saturday and Monday I brought my glove and ball in and at recess started playing catch with one of my friends (who was on a different team).

In less than 2 minutes two of my new teammates (who were a couple of grades above me) yelled over to me and told me to stop playing catch with that “Oriole” because A’s play catch with A’s!

I've never simultaneously felt amazing and awful at the same time before. It was awesome to be a meek 10 year old who got to to hang with some 12 year olds, but it sucked that I had to leave my friend hanging.

Of course that feeling went away, when the other, older Orioles, called my friend over to their group.

When we got back to class my friend and I just laughed about it and he came over my house after school to play whiffle ball with the same mixed group we always did…….but we didn’t play catch at recess again.

And that’s the way it was in 1980, and we liked it!

😂

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Was the what 630th straight sellout? That’s all that matters to the owners. They will have their 3-4 games at home minimum in the playoffs as well so win or lose it will be the same core and cast of characters in management

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
95% of NHL games are like watching really good players play shinny these days. There is very little emotion in the game anymore.

SWAYMAN having a nice chuckle with Tom Wilson.

Debrusk constantly talking to other teams players.

Marchand is the only Bruins who shows up every game and actually gives a lick.

I understand the team has overachieved this season but they have won nothing IMO as I expect pro's to compete. Off nights are one thing but someone beside your captain hit someone, stir up some shit..SOMETHING.
Unfortunately the recent trend has turned the league into a "show" with celebrities, instead of a battle against rivals.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2 hideous home ice efforts vs desperate teams who make the B`s look like cellar dwellers

I get it, can`t have it for all 82 but yesterday was far worse than the game vs the Flames, this team couldn`t complete a pass over 5 feet, rarely do I turn off or away from a Bruins tilt, 2nd time in a week

This team now faces another desperate team in the Bolts who just lost one of their best D men in Sergachev and aren`t shoe-ins for a post season spot, better wake the hell up

Reactions: Gordoff and Zillah

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Wow Gryz fined no suspension.
Ovi speared Freddy in the nuts (clearly intentional) in a different game and didn't even get two.

2 hideous home ice efforts vs desperate teams who make the B`s look like cellar dwellers

I get it, can`t have it for all 82 but yesterday was far worse than the game vs the Flames, this team couldn`t complete a pass over 5 feet, rarely do I turn off or away from a Bruins tilt, 2nd time in a week

This team now faces another desperate team in the Bolts who just lost one of their best D men in Sergachev and aren`t shoe-ins for a post season spot, better wake the hell up
Yeah...Please play hard for your captain's 1000th game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Bolts are more than just a desperate team.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Exactly.

Just do these seven things and you should beat the 1976 Montreal Canadiens.
Funny, Our last two losses are where lower-standing teams just did "These 7 things" and embarrassed us.

Florida beat the best regular season record team last summer doing that as well.

Its a team strategy, as long as you have players that can execute it and are all in on the plan shift in and out you dont need a world beater. You just need to beat the team opposite you.

Ask Toronto fans.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Bearclaw

Jul 25, 2013
California
iu
I was saying Boo-urns.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Playoffs Freddy again

I don’t get to bent out of shape over regular season games one way or the other ,after last season,but man this was really bad ,just no effort from anyone other than Swayman really and the new guy was ok.Really feel sorry for the fans at the game ,paying that kind of money for that kind of garbage.
They will be looking for these couple points at the end of the season.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If a couple of players are going through the motions could be anything health, family etc. But when the entire team looks bad you have to point to the coaches

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Well you are pretty much describing most third line guys in the league.

Unfortunately there’s top 6 guys on this team that are put in better positions than Frederic and are performing worse than him
That’s my point he shows glimpses of being much more ,a true power forward perhaps,but then back to floating around ,maybe I’m just expecting to much

Reactions: Gordoff

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wore my Bruin togue on our hike today after even last night embarrassment. Went so far back in the bush you had to come out to go hunting. Didn't want anyone to see me with it on.
Monty should have rubbed some Whites Horse Liniment in their jocks between the 1st and 2nd period to get some speed out of them. I know a guy use to tape a hot potato under his horse's tail to get an extra mile out of him. Seems to work.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Funny, Our last two losses are where lower-standing teams just did "These 7 things" and embarrassed us.

Florida beat the best regular season record team last summer doing that as well.

Its a team strategy, as long as you have players that can execute it and are all in on the plan shift in and out you dont need a world beater. You just need to beat the team opposite you.

Ask Toronto fans.
You must have missed the memo they only won because every Bruin was hurt and they didn't know how to handle adversity when Florida started coming back.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bruins need a top line center more than they need hanifin
There isn’t really a top line centre available though. Henrique? A little past his prime though. He is past his prime and the best available centre. I think the price will end up being very high. We shall see. Lindholm was the best option. Monahan was the next best option imo. Henrique is the last remaining option. I feel like the bruins aren’t trying to win that bidding war. I’d be shocked if they didn’t just add some depth pieces this year. Sweeney has shocked me before though….

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The formula to beat Boston in the postseason is not difficult.

-Clog the neutral zone, prevent passes
-Play physical man-on-man.
-Go after the goalscorers physically. Grind them down.
-Target the offensive D, rush their decisions, hit them when at all possible....HARD. Make them doubt themselves.
-Play inside the slot, get in the goaltenders way and head.
-Keep them to the outside defensively. Always keep a man on anyone hovering around the dots.
-Move pucks to the boards, slow the game down. Keep it a scrum game.

We dont have much to overcome this.

I love that the team has overcome so much and are where they are right now. I just dont think we have the team to survive and win 4 rounds this year.

Basically, this is the formula to beat most teams IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad