Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo - Caps 3 BRUINS 0

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Last night I could see why there was booing by some fans. I don't really like it and hate it when they boo the power play, that can never help. I wouldn't do it myself either. I do feel bad for people who paid to watch that. I have only been to one game in Boston and thankfully they beat the Flyers handily, I would have been so sad if they had played like they did last night.
I get it...It just isn't my thing.
Two stinkers in a week.

..and then the looked so good vs the best team in the NHL.

It was the whole team ( except Sway) for the bad .I got why their timing and passing were off the first game back from vacation...but geez...last night and it was everyone.

Same for that great game vs the Nucks. Everyone was good.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin - The no-show against Calgary was predictable as the Flames were in game mode a day before having to fly in.

I can't explain what happened against Washington. The Bruins had a practice on Friday and the game was on national TV and it was obvious 5 minutes in they were in trouble.

Yeah I'd agree on that. Calgary was a shrug and easily explainable/excusable, this one was more baffling and potentially more concerning.

But you do get more of these kinds of games at this time of year, especially if a team went as hard in the first half as the Bruins did. You would have thought a couple of days ago that Vancouver would absolutely have come to play in a 1v2 clash against an opponent for whom a bit of the old rivalry still flickers, but they were pretty flat right from the start, didn't pressure the Bruins in puck battles and on the forecheck anywhere near as much as they could have, and the game was over one minute into the 2nd period. Further west the highly regarded Jets last night at last snapped a 5-game losing streak.

So you just don't know how each game is going to play out, and frankly I think some of the time the players don't know either until they're 10 mins into the game, and sometimes then it's too late. Obviously 2 really bad games in 3 is not good, and there's a difference between battling and losing and getting straight up blown out. But I wouldn't panic yet. Boston's earned the breathing space to mail it in for a bit, and there's no entrenched pattern of poor/flat play yet. Fingers crossed the rest of this long home stand turns out better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How can the Flyers rip off 3 big total team effort in a week and the Bruins 2 stinkers

This is totally unfair

I get it...It just isn't my thing.
Two stinkers in a week.

..and then the looked so good vs the best team in the NHL.

It was the whole team ( except Sway) for the bad .I got why their timing and passing were off the first game back from vacation...bot geez...last night and it was everyone.

Same for that great game vs the Nucks. Everyone was good.
bruins are notoriously weak at 3:30 & 5 games at home

They will rebound this week

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1707658874042.jpeg

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
95% of NHL games are like watching really good players play shinny these days. There is very little emotion in the game anymore.

SWAYMAN having a nice chuckle with Tom Wilson.

Debrusk constantly talking to other teams players.

Marchand is the only Bruins who shows up every game and actually gives a lick.

I understand the team has overachieved this season but they have won nothing IMO as I expect pro's to compete. Off nights are one thing but someone beside your captain hit someone, stir up some shit..SOMETHING.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Neely was on one knee by the time I started watching.

I don’t think you can count on the goaltending to carry them any further than it did last season.

They’re both excellent, but I just don’t see the talent up front. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a team taking liberties with Pastrnak early on a series. Extra chops at his hands etc.

You take him out and what can Boston muster on offense?
The formula to beat Boston in the postseason is not difficult.

-Clog the neutral zone, prevent passes
-Play physical man-on-man.
-Go after the goalscorers physically. Grind them down.
-Target the offensive D, rush their decisions, hit them when at all possible....HARD. Make them doubt themselves.
-Play inside the slot, get in the goaltenders way and head.
-Keep them to the outside defensively. Always keep a man on anyone hovering around the dots.
-Move pucks to the boards, slow the game down. Keep it a scrum game.

We dont have much to overcome this.

I love that the team has overcome so much and are where they are right now. I just dont think we have the team to survive and win 4 rounds this year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bruins were -220 fav after the 1st period, thought that was pretty wild given the performance we were watching

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah I'd agree on that. Calgary was a shrug and easily explainable/excusable, this one was more baffling and potentially more concerning.

But you do get more of these kinds of games at this time of year, especially if a team went as hard in the first half as the Bruins did. You would have thought a couple of days ago that Vancouver would absolutely have come to play in a 1v2 clash against an opponent for whom a bit of the old rivalry still flickers, but they were pretty flat right from the start, didn't pressure the Bruins in puck battles and on the forecheck anywhere near as much as they could have, and the game was over one minute into the 2nd period. Further west the highly regarded Jets last night at last snapped a 5-game losing streak.

So you just don't know how each game is going to play out, and frankly I think some of the time the players don't know either until they're 10 mins into the game, and sometimes then it's too late. Obviously 2 really bad games in 3 is not good, and there's a difference between battling and losing and getting straight up blown out. But I wouldn't panic yet. Boston's earned the breathing space to mail it in for a bit, and there's no entrenched pattern of poor/flat play yet. Fingers crossed the rest of this long home stand turns out better.

No easy games left on the homestand.

Panthers only 3 points behind in the standing and the difference in playoff opponents could be significant if not finishing first.

Yes, Calgary game no big deal but last night was disturbing.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The formula to beat Boston in the postseason is not difficult.

-Clog the neutral zone, prevent passes
-Play physical man-on-man.
-Go after the goalscorers physically. Grind them down.
-Target the offensive D, rush their decisions, hit them when at all possible....HARD. Make them doubt themselves.
-Play inside the slot, get in the goaltenders way and head.
-Keep them to the outside defensively. Always keep a man on anyone hovering around the dots.
-Move pucks to the boards, slow the game down. Keep it a scrum game.

We dont have much to overcome this.

I love that the team has overcome so much and are where they are right now. I just dont think we have the team to survive and win 4 rounds this year.
Sounds like the plan to beat any team? Bruins only weakness is the lack of physical players, they are one in done again with this group.

Frustrating watching the Coyle's Geek's Freddy's JVR's Debrusk's Zacha's get pushed around without so much as an angry look.

The Defense they are even softer., every one of then except McAvoy and Wotherspoon. The rest can go play in a girls league and still get pushed around. Carlo makes Al Petersen look like an all time Bruin great.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
95% of NHL games are like watching really good players play shinny these days. There is very little emotion in the game anymore.

SWAYMAN having a nice chuckle with Tom Wilson.

Debrusk constantly talking to other teams players.

Marchand is the only Bruins who shows up every game and actually gives a lick.

I understand the team has overachieved this season but they have won nothing IMO as I expect pro's to compete. Off nights are one thing but someone beside your captain hit someone, stir up some shit..SOMETHING.

Frederic had a good stretch of games and back to floating.

Sounds like the plan to beat any team? Bruins only weakness is the lack of physical players, they are one in done again with this group.

Frustrating watching the Coyle's Geek's Freddy's JVR's Debrusk's Zacha's get pushed around without so much as an angry look.

The Defense they are even softer., every one of then except McAvoy and Wotherspoon. The rest can go play in a girls league and still get pushed around. Carlo makes Al Petersen look like an all time Bruin great.

And then there are the Heinen/Boqvist/Steens. Even softer. At least Heinen's level of play is adding value.

Too many soft, complementary players waiting for others to create the play. The PP especially.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Frederic is a 3rd liner with 29 points idk if we should be blaming him.

Debrusk has 0 points in his last 5 games

Marchand has 2 points in his last 5 games

There’s bigger issues than frederic
The thing with Frederic is he shows glimpses of being so much better,then goes back to just floating around,which results in him becoming another healthy scratch in the playoffs probably again,it’s very frustrating.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Frederic had a good stretch of games and back to floating.

And then there are the Heinen/Boqvist/Steens. Even softer. At least Heinen's level of play is adding value.

Too many soft, complementary players waiting for others to create the play. The PP especially.
I didn't add those guys because I expect that from them. On another note,

After Brad got smoked like that Vs the Flames and his teammates just did the old let me fool everyone into thinking Im getting involved was a trade-able offense

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Frederic is a 3rd liner with 29 points idk if we should be blaming him.

Debrusk has 0 points in his last 5 games

Marchand has 2 points in his last 5 games

There’s bigger issues than frederic
When you play tougher teams you need to have third and fourth liner's capable of pushback vs the other teams best players to give Marcher's and Pasta's the room to do what they do best.

99% of the roster gets pushed around against the tougher teams in the league and it shows on the score board and effort

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Their game was as flat as I've ever seen, seriously no energy or emotion, the silver lining is it brought my expectations down to a manageable "make the playoffs and try and just win one round and I'll be happy" level...fool me once shame on you (last year)..fool me twice ...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Funnily enough, Jake was the best forward out there in this game. He wasn't a passenger. He was out there hustling. Trying to make plays. Why are we trading a guy who gives a shit?

My one issue with Debrusk is he needs to shoot more on the PP. Every PKer knows his one move is to drive to the net from the corner.

Keep them honest. The PP is extremely relaxed and thinks it still has Perfection line and Krug.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Exactly.

Just do these seven things and you should beat the 1976 Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN and lopey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The thing with Frederic is he shows glimpses of being so much better,then goes back to just floating around,which results in him becoming another healthy scratch in the playoffs probably again,it’s very frustrating.

I said in the GDT that Boston needs that tone setter in the bottom 6. That guy that night in and night out will play a heavy game from puck drop. Frederic should be one of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad