Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo - Caps 3 BRUINS 0

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I believe the BRUINS will only go as far as their goaltending allows. I don't have as much faith in Pasta as you seem to.
Btw, you must be too young to remember Neely.
Neely was on one knee by the time I started watching.

I don’t think you can count on the goaltending to carry them any further than it did last season.

They’re both excellent, but I just don’t see the talent up front. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a team taking liberties with Pastrnak early on a series. Extra chops at his hands etc.

You take him out and what can Boston muster on offense?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Has anybody complained about how ugly these threads get after a loss? Seems like that’s always a thing. Today, I don’t think these threads could ever be ugly enough to match the level of disgust of that game

I think it’s the frustration of losing badly to Calgary, playing outstanding against Vancouver and then going right back into the bad habits that plagued them against calgary

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Watching him with Geekie is soooo sad ..

To think some were hoping Geekie had hidden potential to be a middle or top six center. He's generally invisible. Quite a few forwards who cannot impact a game generally speaking. Complementary role players.

Leaves Pastrnak/Marchand alone on offense.

Very little physicality from those players as well.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
Neely was on one knee by the time I started watching.

I don’t think you can count on the goaltending to carry them any further than it did last season.

They’re both excellent, but I just don’t see the talent up front. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a team taking liberties with Pastrnak early on a series. Extra chops at his hands etc.

You take him out and what can Boston muster on offense?
That's a rhetorical question because the answer is obvious.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
To think some were hoping Geekie had hidden potential to be a middle or top six center. He's generally invisible. Quite a few forwards who cannot impact a game generally speaking. Complementary role players.

Geekie gets his stick in there he is hard on pucks but he is way to slow to ride shotgun everyday with Pasta.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What a stinker. Saw fans in jerseys around 3 walking away from the train station likely due to some massive delay and felt bad they'd be missing the 1st no matter what. Didn't miss much.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I like Zacha and Coyle, but they are what they are.

This team has over achieved, and it’s a credit to the program they’ve built.

Poitras felt like found money, and he might yet be a difference maker for you down the road which would be huge.

Let’s see how they finish the season and who they draw in Round 1.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

His stats back that up and are OK. Goes missing and isn't a game changer but hes been as advertised. Will be judged on how he does in the postseason.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Doesn't that apply to all teams?
Of course it does apply to all, and probably because I see this team so often and up close, I agree the upcoming trade deadline might be a factor, thought so in other years for about three weeks leading up to the deadline…they are human, young men who get attached to the group and community…they are professionals, but sometimes they are really just kids who are barely grown. Bounce back coming!

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Not wanting to win the President's Trophy is absurd. But they looked bad like... On purpose. Not passively bad, but like bad with intention.

It's as good of a theory as anything I can come up with.
If they truly believe that winning the presidents trophy is the reason they lost in round 1 and not their play it would spell doom this playoffs. They’d be banking on luck vs hard uncomfortable work. Not a recipe for success. So I hope that isn’t even closely true.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I get the angst but it seems like most of the complaining (and it’s deserved today) comes from the same folks that say the regular season doesn’t mean anything

Reactions: The Murph

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Ovi was grumling at the ref after he got that penalty . Reading his lips he seemed to be saying "didn't you get the memo"
I didn’t think he deserved a penalty. I think the Ovechkin gets away with everything claim was proven wrong today.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Most of the players have been home for over a week. They looked as interested in playing it as I was having to watch it at 3:30 on a beautiful Saturday afternoon

They will up the effort next week

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Swayman must be wondering why his teammates seem to suddenly hate him with how they played in front of him against Calgary and Washington.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Yup

This was worse than Calgary

The Bruins looked like the 83 Islanders against Calgary verse today

If not for the too many men on the power play they very well steel that game

The only thing they stole today was our time, money, and faith
Certainly trust your eyes and I believe you were at Flames and Caps games.

They looked flat for Flames and yeah shoulda won with just a sustained 3rd period effort.

I thought their effort was much better today than Flames, but they were dismantled at every turn, every board battle, every facet . . .Caps took it to them all game. Period. Worrisome.

Recipe seems simple. Agressive two-man forecheck and Bruins will struggle to muster 20 shots on net or even get out of D-zone with possession.

I was shocked how passive all game the Nucks were.

This is a tough team to guage right now. Tough decision on JDB too.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary and Washington 2 big teams playing physical = 2 embarrassing lost

Not buying that line of thinking. It seems to me the problem lies with not taking the lesser teams seriously, you rarely see the Bruins mail in a game against the likes of Florida, TB, teams that are also big and physical, but far superior to Calgary and Washington. The Bruins aren't talented enough to sleep walk themselves to wins against determined teams that play with an edge. The effort against both Calgary and Washington is very concerning, especially coming at home in front of paying fans, to lose is one thing but to be so badly outcompeted is unacceptable.

1971 Best Ever

May 5, 2019
The inconsistency of this team is hard to comprehend. You come off the Allstar break play at home and lose 4-0 to Calgary, then beat the number one team in the League 4-0 then lose to Washington 3-0 at home. Hate to bring back bad memories but last year they tore up the League, bolstered their team before the playoffs with Bertuzzi, Orlov and Hathaway, go up 3 games to 1 in the opening round and lose both remaining home games. Good teams don't do that and I don't see them going very far in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad