Post-Game Talk: GAME 52 - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo - Caps 3 BRUINS 0

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Missed the game, sounds like that was no loss. Don't think I'll watch a replay.

Monty hates to lose. Every coach does, but he really HATES it. Especially when it comes with a poor effort, which by all accounts is what we got today. Games like this are not new though, we saw some late in Cassidy's time when the whole team, St Patrice included, simply said "not today", and there was not a damn thing the coach could do about it.

It's a tough period post the all-star break. The dog days indeed. The Bruins know they're making the playoffs, if the Presidents' Trophy and its potential baggage even meant less to anybody, after last year it'll be these guys. Finding the motivation to put in something at least close to a full effort every night when there's very little on the line is going to be hard. Not excusing the performance today, to flop that bad in front of your own fans is really a slap in the face of everyone who forked out good money to show up, but nonetheless, reality is it happens. To every team.

So what does the coach do? He's angry, and fair enough, but he needs to be smart. Pretty much first thing he's done is threaten the whole team publicly with his "if they don't make changes, I will" type line. Well that's a choice. Would carry more weight if the roster had more depth and more guys pushing for spots. Might mean something if you're a guy at risk of being traded, but that short list starts with Gryz and probably doesn't go much further. There's also only so much you can validly tell off a team who's 2nd in the league with a roster that really doesn't warrant it. Bottom line is Monty does need to give these guys a serve and light some fire under them, but he needs to be tactful and realistic. Curb his enthusiasm, basically.

Last edited:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it’s the frustration of losing badly to Calgary, playing outstanding against Vancouver and then going right back into the bad habits that plagued them against calgary
i don't think they were even that great against Vancouver, the B's deserved the win, but the Nucks played one of their worst games of the season

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not wanting to win the President's Trophy is absurd. But they looked bad like... On purpose. Not passively bad, but like bad with intention.

It's as good of a theory as anything I can come up with.

They knew the Buffalo AGM was in the building back to back games and didn’t want to be traded to Buffalo.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I could have gone to Home Depot!
I was recording the game and had watched it through part of the 2d period when I paused it to take my wife out to dinner as planned. Unintentionally saw the highlights on a tv in the restaurant. No need to watch the rest now. Oshie goal was a defensive breakdown and I would have tripped pinhead Ovechkin rather then let him score in the empty net. I know they would award him the goal anyway, but I would not let him have the satisfaction of seeing the puck go in the net. Plus, he celebrated like he won the Cup in front of his bench of fellow pinheads.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I was recording the game and had watched it through part of the 2d period when I paused it to take my wife out to dinner as planned. Unintentionally saw the highlights on a tv in the restaurant. No need to watch the rest now. Oshie goal was a defensive breakdown and I would have tripped pinhead Ovechkin rather then let him score in the empty net. I know they would award him the goal anyway, but I would not let him have the satisfaction of seeing the puck go in the net. Plus, he celebrated like he won the Cup in front of his bench of fellow pinheads.
The team played like crap, they deserved to be clowned or whatever, it was just that bad!
I feel bad for Swayman, he deserves better than the last couple of games. It's shameful!

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Certainly trust your eyes and I believe you were at Flames and Caps games.

They looked flat for Flames and yeah shoulda won with just a sustained 3rd period effort.

I thought their effort was much better today than Flames, but they were dismantled at every turn, every board battle, every facet . . .Caps took it to them all game. Period. Worrisome.

Recipe seems simple. Agressive two-man forecheck and Bruins will struggle to muster 20 shots on net or even get out of D-zone with possession.

I was shocked how passive all game the Nucks were.

This is a tough team to guage right now. Tough decision on JDB too.
Really struggling to get the puck out of our end. Agree that, as Florida learned last year, a hard and aggressive forecheck is the key to beating Boston.

The team played like crap, they deserved to be clowned or whatever, it was just that bad!
At the risk of repeating myself and annoying the fine people on this list, home ice is no advantage for us. It simply isn’t.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What I don’t get, and never will, is how guys like Lauko, Boqvist, Wotherspon, Geekie, Heinen, etc. ever play a game where they don’t hustle their asses off.

They are literally a bad month of hockey away from being in the AHL or not having a job a year or two from now.

You can’t control a lot in such a fast and unpredictable game, but you can control your effort and how physical you play.

And I’m not excusing Pasta, Marchand, McAvoy, et. al.

But those guys are locked into a roster spot, and while they also should have been busting their ass today, they do most of the time and their skill and production level is generally what keeps the team afloat. So they can get a pass every once in a while, IMO.

A large part of it is that level of effort is infectious, and it usually comes from the top. Depth guys will often revert to the mean if the rest of the team's having a flat night, even if it's against their interests to do so. We saw that against Calgary - the 4th line was actually pretty good in the first period, but when they saw that no-one else was interested, they faded out too. It's also the case that many depth players will know that even if they absolutely bust their gut during a game, if the rest of the team is off, it will often still make little difference. You would say that self-preservation should mean they do it anyway, but reality is it doesn't always happen that way, especially when you're 50+ games in and everyone has tired bodies. Very easy to just drop your head in that situation when all your buddies are too. Occasionally a 4th line or whatever will come up big and drag their teammates with them, but it's rare.

Reality is too this Boston roster has little depth. You mentioned Geekie and Heinen in your list, but nobody in Providence is a serious threat to either of those guys for a spot, especially with Poitras out and other injuries basically inevitable from time to time. They don't have total immunity, but IMO they're safer than perhaps you suggested. For sure it's different for Steen, Wotherspoon, Lauko and Boqvist. They're closer to the edge, but still, competition for spots is not high. So as a motivating factor it will only take you so far.

Maybe the Bruins need a good ol' hockey trade to send a bit of a jolt through the room. But their options for making a good one are limited.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
In a game where you’re as lifeless as that you need one player to step up and do anything to change the momentum.

Frederic should be that guy.

0 hits, 1 shot on goal.

As frustrated as people get here with Debrusks streakyness at least he looks like he’s trying out there.

You can’t have your entire offense be on Pasta, Marchand and Mac’s shoulders.
Actually no no no he doesn't this was a disgrace. To paraphrase Charles barkley, the operation it was both a success and a failure but the patient died. Jake must go.

Reactions: RI.B FAN

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A large part of it is that level of effort is infectious, and it usually comes from the top. Depth guys will often revert to the mean if the rest of the team's having a flat night, even if it's against their interests to do so. We saw that against Calgary - the 4th line was actually pretty good in the first period, but when they saw that no-one else was interested, they faded out too. It's also the case that many depth players will know that even if they absolutely bust their gut during a game, if the rest of the team is off, it will often still make little difference. You would say that self-preservation should mean they do it anyway, but reality is it doesn't always happen that way, especially when you're 50+ games in and everyone has tired bodies. Very easy to just drop your head in that situation when all your buddies are too. Occasionally a 4th line or whatever will come up big and drag their teammates with them, but it's rare.

Reality is too this Boston roster has little depth. You mentioned Geekie and Heinen in your list, but nobody in Providence is a serious threat to either of those guys for a spot, especially with Poitras out and other injuries basically inevitable from time to time. They don't have total immunity, but IMO they're safer than perhaps you suggested. For sure it's different for Steen, Wotherspoon, Lauko and Boqvist. They're closer to the edge, but still, competition for spots is not high. So as a motivating factor it will only take you so far.

Maybe the Bruins need a good ol' hockey trade to send a bit of a jolt through the room. But their options for making a good one are limited."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Maybe the Bruins need a good ol' hockey trade to send a bit of a jolt through the room. But their options for making a good one are limited."
QFT but there isn't much that they can trade. Some mediocre guys that nobody wants? Honestly, does anyone want 90% of this group?
Further, I don't think Sweeney has the "want" to trade anyone. He doesn't have an ounce of Harry Sinden in his personality.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
"Maybe the Bruins need a good ol' hockey trade to send a bit of a jolt through the room. But their options for making a good one are limited."
QFT but there isn't much that they can trade. Some mediocre guys that nobody wants? Honestly, does anyone want 90% of this group?
Further, I don't think Sweeney has the "want" to trade anyone. He doesn't have an ounce of Harry Sinden in his personality.
Wish I could triple like this post.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

We'll see I guess. It's not easy for sure. But Sweeney has always made at least one move. I think he'll still want to do something. How ruthless and astute he'll be with that, hard to say. Just don't give away any more firsts, that's my main ask for now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Maybe the Bruins need a good ol' hockey trade to send a bit of a jolt through the room. But their options for making a good one are limited.

Totally understand what you’re saying, and it’s as sad as it is accurate.

At 53, with my best days far in the rear view mirror, I’d love to be able to make every guy on the roster see things through my eyes.

Most of them have about a 7-8 year window as an NHL’er. That’s a scant 84 - 96 months of their lives, where they are fortunate enough to be able to be among the greatest in the world at a game most of us would play for much less than they get paid.

I couldn’t imagine sitting at home 10 or 20 years after playing in the NHL, knowing I floated through even 10 games in my career.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The Jekyll and Hyde Bruins continue, they looked awful against the Flames, looked great against the Canucks only to follow that up with back to being horrible against the Caps. If they want to do anything for the centennial season run in the playoffs, changes need to be made, even if they are hockey deals to switch up some of the roster. Last year they did not want to trade anyone from the roster and only add, that did not end well, so don't be afraid to swap out some guys.

Reactions: BMC

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Actually, I disagree I think he's got quite a bit of Harry in him. Will you do much no he can't not with this group.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Maybe my eyes are going...saw a stat on the TV real quick I couldn't believe, something like the B's PK was 1st in the league before the holidays and now its 28th?
And yet, according to today's broadcast, [paraphrasing] 'Montgomery isn't worried about the team's PK.'

I've been worried for (at least) a few weeks now.

Reactions: Gordoff

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Holy smokes. Just got in from the game and spending a night in the city. Usually go to 2 games a year for the past 9 or so years and that's the worst performance I've seen ever.
1000003899.jpg

Attachments

• 20240210_150209.jpg
    20240210_150209.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240210_151945.jpg
    20240210_151945.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: BMC

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Can't make heads or tails of this team. Definitely have a harder time against bigger and heavier teams. Hammer 63 n 88 is all it will take come playoffs. Goalies need to be lights out and they may do ok.

Reactions: capecodder

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
They just do not have enough top quality players and the true Bruins are starting to show. They sure need a top 6 centre and a top 4 D.

Frederic is good against the not so tough teams but you see nothing against the heavy teams with muscle. Not even a good hit to try and change the momentum from any of the Bruins.

Goaltending will keep you in games but you have to produce some offence.

Reactions: capecodder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad