Game #3 : KINGS vs. RANGERS - 10/7/13 - A Loss Best to Forget

Bardof425*

They haven't been on the score sheet, but Clifford was fine last night and Lewis had a good game as well. Once again it comes down to Kopitar and his line. If Kopitar plays on the perimeter the Kings offense is stagnant.

Ranger fan here. I can't believe what I'm reading. There is too much size and talent on your team to not be there in May. As far as Kopitar and his line is doing, be glad as Americans that Ryan McDonagh is on our side. He does what he did last night to alot of top lines.

I don't know of too many fan bases that wouldn't swap their roster for yours right now.

Captain Mittens*

Ranger fan here. I can't believe what I'm reading. There is too much size and talent on your team to not be there in May. As far as Kopitar and his line is doing, be glad as Americans that Ryan McDonagh is on our side. He does what he did last night to alot of top lines.

I don't know of too many fan bases that wouldn't swap their roster for yours right now.
thank you for the perspective I hope a couple of our fans read and understand your post.

very classy post and good luck to the Rangers the rest of the way

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Just read some tweets from Patrick O'Neal. Really embarrassing that the fans were booing Quick.

Meh. People are treating it as if it was this great offence. The Kings have a large, die-hard and loyal, fan base, but this is LA sports. We are always going to attract a large, eclectic, group of fans on any given night. There are going to be a lot of people there who just wanted to see a hockey game and don't really care about any team in particular, or are Ranger fans. Not a whole lot you can do, and is the nature of professional sports.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Just read some tweets from Patrick O'Neal. Really embarrassing that the fans were booing Quick.

Yeah, those weren't real "fans" who participated in the booing. A good 15-20% of the peeps in attendance are "fair weather fans". They only show up because the Kings are expected to win the game. And when crap like that happens, they boo. Not much can be done about that.....

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007

Nobody boo'd Quick, he got a Bronx cheer. The guy put a puck that was going 10 feet wide into his own net in the third game of the season, he can take some ribbing from the crowd for it. He doesn't need you guys on here to pat him on the back and tell him everything is going to be okay that he's still a good goalie, he can go home and look at his Cup, Conn Smythe, and $5.8M/year contract if he needs reassurance on that front (he doesn't). Besides, he even encouraged it with his glove and got a serious cheer for the next save, he can handle it.

I would have participated had I been there and don't attempt to call me a bandwagon or fairweather fan.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Has anyone considered that it was the NYR fans that we're doing that? I'd have to think there was a vast majority of them invading Staples last night.

Jun 30, 2006
I don't know how to explain what happened last night with Quick but Kings always start out slow. No need to worry, its a long season.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
A lot of players are forgetting to take their brain medicine right now, so lots of individual mistakes are undermining a team trying to come together at the start of the season.

We looked about as bad last year for about the first 10 games, or a fifth of the season. Not worried, full stop.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
It is always such a terrible embarrassment to see any fanbase boo their own team. What a bunch of crap.

As if booing anyone is going to make them perform better or want to risk injury to push that extra little bit when things aren't going right.

It is just a shame.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think it's sad and pathetic that for all of DL's crap about "building from within" and drafting/developing your own players, our best players these days are two guys we brought in from trades.

Trade Kopitar and Brown! lol

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I don't know whats wrong with you guys......

the players are not really a problem.
Like some mentioned other teams would kill for a team like that.

It's more that all that and even the last season reminds me of Terry Murray hockey.

trailing very early..... and doing nothing to make something going on.
This team should control games, it should set the pace and the way the game is played.

Problem is same as we had before.

We don't play to win, we play not to lose.
This will fetch out a victory here and there but it doesn't bring you trophys.

of course it comes with the good old "it's a long season.... lot's of games to be played"....... from game 40 on it's "we still have 42 games left.... lot's of games to be played.
From game 60 on it's "if we win 15 out of 20 we will be fine"
From game 70 on "we are still in as long as we are not eleminated by math"

it's always the same

I wonder when we get a coach or front office who says
"our target is to win the first 15 games to get some room for experiments in mid season to create a playoff powerhouse"

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A lot of players are forgetting to take their brain medicine right now, so lots of individual mistakes are undermining a team trying to come together at the start of the season.

We looked about as bad last year for about the first 10 games, or a fifth of the season. Not worried, full stop.

Exactly what I came here to say. Just as sloppy and fluky as the beginning of last year. Or did everyone already forget the Nail slide? The Chicago home opener? We were ugly then too. Everyone was playing like a collective of mouthbreathers while the other teams were up to play us like crazy. I watched this game on dvr late last night against my better judgment after seeing some reactions and by the time Quick let in that goal-of-all-time all I could do was laugh because it was just one of those games. I think the fact taht if you scroll back through the thread you see everyone blaming different player shows just how much of a team failure this game was.

Do I think there are adjustments to be made both roster-wise and gameplan-wise? Absolutely. But that was rock bottom. It'll be fine.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I don't know whats wrong with you guys......

the players are not really a problem.
Like some mentioned other teams would kill for a team like that.

It's more that all that and even the last season reminds me of Terry Murray hockey.

trailing very early..... and doing nothing to make something going on.
This team should control games, it should set the pace and the way the game is played.

Problem is same as we had before.

We don't play to win, we play not to lose.
This will fetch out a victory here and there but it doesn't bring you trophys.

of course it comes with the good old "it's a long season.... lot's of games to be played"....... from game 40 on it's "we still have 42 games left.... lot's of games to be played.
From game 60 on it's "if we win 15 out of 20 we will be fine"
From game 70 on "we are still in as long as we are not eleminated by math"

it's always the same

I wonder when we get a coach or front office who says
"our target is to win the first 15 games to get some room for experiments in mid season to create a playoff powerhouse"

I disagree with allot of what you have written.

I use one Stanley Cup and a return to the WCF's to support my argument. We are a team built for the playoffs and we start out slow every season. Other then that we do more then pick up a few wins here and there under our current regime.

What I know to be true is that there are allot of us here who still don't believe that this team is as good as the past two years have proven them to be and as such freakout when things are going well.

It is conditioned response to an extent but if you live in the past then you will miss out on the present. We presently have a great team that almost every fan of every team in the league would love to have. We should have won last night but we didn't. We play Ottawa next and we will be better and get the win.

Something I don't see being said is one of the reasons it is so hard to repeat as the champs is the drain it takes on you physically, mentally and emotionally. We were this close to back to back finals. We played longer then our opponents so far and it is going to take a little time to get everything going again.

It happens this way more often then not.

So yep, we struggle today but we wont for long and we will be right there in it for it all before everything is said and done. No doubt about it. I understand disappointment and frustration but we aren't even 8 games into the season. Give the team your support and a bit of time to get it back together. We will get there.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Which they can't do if they're not winning faceoffs at a better clip. Kopitar, Stoll, and especially Richards have been awful in the dot so far this year. Worse at home than on the road.

Obviously it's only been 1 home game and 2 road games, but I'd say that's a main reason the Kings have looked off in the first 3 games of the season. The Kings aren't the fleetest of foot, and if they don't have the puck, chasing the game won't win them too many of them.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I disagree with allot of what you have written.

I use one Stanley Cup and a return to the WCF's to support my argument. We are a team built for the playoffs and we start out slow every season. Other then that we do more then pick up a few wins here and there under our current regime.

What I know to be true is that there are allot of us here who still don't believe that this team is as good as the past two years have proven them to be and as such freakout when things are going well.

It is conditioned response to an extent but if you live in the past then you will miss out on the present. We presently have a great team that almost every fan of every team in the league would love to have. We should have won last night but we didn't. We play Ottawa next and we will be better and get the win.

Something I don't see being said is one of the reasons it is so hard to repeat as the champs is the drain it takes on you physically, mentally and emotionally. We were this close to back to back finals. We played longer then our opponents so far and it is going to take a little time to get everything going again.

It happens this way more often then not.

So yep, we struggle today but we wont for long and we will be right there in it for it all before everything is said and done. No doubt about it. I understand disappointment and frustration but we aren't even 8 games into the season. Give the team your support and a bit of time to get it back together. We will get there.
Hear hear
This booing Quick is garbage. Bronx cheer just as bad.
Yes it was not a good game.
Three own goals off turnovers/mistakes. We wont see another like it for a while. Quick will kill the Sens all by himself tomorrow. He might get a Howe hat trick

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
If the team wants to win the Cup finishing as one of the top seeds in regular season would do wonders, I bet not having to go through St. Louis last year would help with the team staying healthy.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Me too. Works his ass off every night, arguably more so than most of the team, and then gets jeered. That pisses me off.

Remember that game, I think early 2010 or 2011, when the fans just booed the crap out of the whole team (Brown made several comments about not liking it at all)? I mean yeah, it was not a very good game by them, but you're there to support your team, not deflate their motivation.

I guess in the end it's a hard lesson given by fans, but still... I don't like it at all.

I think last nights jeering was in jest not seriously raging on him.......but with that said the new in flux of season ticket holders,aka bandwagoners, will not be as tolerant of half hearted efforts as those of us who have lived and died with this team and are now relagated to end zones and upper rows for our ticket pkgs. these new fans are here for a show and they better get it or will voice it and make everyone look bad

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Was a decent first period (other than Doughty turnover) second was brutal, and third was starting ok until well....you know...

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
People overreacting to the bronx cheer. It was just a bit of friendly ribbing. Everyone obviously knows Quick is a great goalie, and if the Kings hadn't been playing awful, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Remember this happened either last year or the year before where he got a bronx cheer

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Was at the "game" last night.
The Bronx Cheer fans should be ashamed of themselves. I shudder to think what the score would have been if Quick wasn't on his game. But honestly, the atmosphere was like "What do you do on the first save after the SH goal?" weird atmosphere. Dought played like **** all night.
Actually the atmosphere was weird the whole night. From the (what I thought) was a real strange intro, to the techno problems to the SH goal, everything just seemed really off.
I hope this game pisses the players off regarding their own play and motivates them to work harder.
BTW the Kings goal was all Richards so he wasn't completely a mess.
And Carter has crazy wheels.

Can you believe what it would have been like with Chechmonek or Cloutier in goal. Ugh.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Another thing-As mentioned before the Kings don't have great season starts. Look at the last 2 seasons. It's around game 10-12 that we truly see what this team can do.

Partially rust on some injured guys. And a big thing-this type of style is not easy to get right back into to start a season. Getting back into the flow of the game and more penalties being called than as we get late into the season. And a lot of crappy bounces. Outside of the Greene goal the Kings have had absurdly bad puck luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad