Game #3 : KINGS vs. RANGERS - 10/7/13 - A Loss Best to Forget

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Haven't read through the thread and probably wont but I have a few concerns.

Outside of Carter, Lewis and Nolan, we're a SLOW team. Clifford looks quicker but still not fast.

Why is no one outside of the mosquito Colin Fraser finishing their checks? Nolan and Clifford wtf guys?

Regehr looks done. Mitchell looks done.

I'm willing to give both time to get into full game shape but jeezus...

I'm really trying to like Frattin but I'm just not seeing anything that was advertised yet.

Kopitar looks healed but what happened to that shot mentality he was going to have?

Brown still looks hurt.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Some line changes in practice

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 29m So. Lines. 74-23-11-14 / 17-10-77 / 13-22-21 / 24-28-71; 44-8 / 33-26 / 27-2 / 6-5

and looks like AMart will be in tomorrow (good !)
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 47m Martinez-Greene and Muzzin-Ellerby are paired together this morning.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Some line changes in practice

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 29m So. Lines. 74-23-11-14 / 17-10-77 / 13-22-21 / 24-28-71; 44-8 / 33-26 / 27-2 / 6-5

I knew it'd only be a matter of time before Carcillo played with Richards and Carter again.

Also aside from the goal, Muzzin stunk again. Not surprised to see AMart get a chance.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I knew it'd only be a matter of time before Carcillo played with Richards and Carter again.

And maybe a postiive change on the 3rd line, maybe Frattin playing on his strong/natural side will help get things going for hiim and get some 3rd line scoring.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The Kings played poorly the first two games, but I think they really needed this stinker to wake them up. At this point they have to be embarrassed and angry, which should make them more focused, physical, etc.

The Ottawa games are usually chippy anyway for some reason, so I expect fireworks now.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I disagree with allot of what you have written.

I use one Stanley Cup and a return to the WCF's to support my argument. We are a team built for the playoffs and we start out slow every season. Other then that we do more then pick up a few wins here and there under our current regime.

What I know to be true is that there are allot of us here who still don't believe that this team is as good as the past two years have proven them to be and as such freakout when things are going well.

It is conditioned response to an extent but if you live in the past then you will miss out on the present. We presently have a great team that almost every fan of every team in the league would love to have. We should have won last night but we didn't. We play Ottawa next and we will be better and get the win.

Something I don't see being said is one of the reasons it is so hard to repeat as the champs is the drain it takes on you physically, mentally and emotionally. We were this close to back to back finals. We played longer then our opponents so far and it is going to take a little time to get everything going again.

It happens this way more often then not.

So yep, we struggle today but we wont for long and we will be right there in it for it all before everything is said and done. No doubt about it. I understand disappointment and frustration but we aren't even 8 games into the season. Give the team your support and a bit of time to get it back together. We will get there.

and i have to disagree here.....

The reason why we won the cup is how we played.
We had super aggressive fore checking, creativity and hunger.
Last season and beginning of this season looks so much different
then this playoff run.
And yes, we made it far in playoffs last year but how did we do it.
We had a lot of luck to win all of these 7 games.
Just one unlucky shot and we would be out in round 1.

And for the grinding game part, you can just grind as much as the opponent lets you.
If the other team starts to play with speed and creativity your grinding game is worth nothing.
Chicago showed us last year and Winnipegs game this year was a superb example for that.

I am simply and plain tired of playing a simple minded hockey game where its just a question of time until the teams have scouted us.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Another thing-As mentioned before the Kings don't have great season starts. Look at the last 2 seasons. It's around game 10-12 that we truly see what this team can do.

Partially rust on some injured guys. And a big thing-this type of style is not easy to get right back into to start a season. Getting back into the flow of the game and more penalties being called than as we get late into the season. And a lot of crappy bounces. Outside of the Greene goal the Kings have had absurdly bad puck luck.

... the last 2 seasons?? :laugh:

How about since 1991?! (whoops, 05-06 had a promising start, then the D left)

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Wow the sky is falling with some of the posts here.

My take on the issues primarily are defense driven. The kings play best when their gaps are minimal. For some reason out D is a step slow which throws the tempo out of whack. (It's my belief the kings system is based on rhythm )

Sutter was right about brown with his injury as he is struggling to keep up and once again isn't hitting anyone.

But still think the entire d corps needs to be a step faster.

Just my opinion

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
So, it looks like Muzzin and Fraser will be out, and Martinez and Carcillo in.

Interesting changes with Frattin skating 3RW, Lewis 3C, Carcillo 2LW and Stoll 4C.

Edit: I actually like all the moves. Should be interesting tomorrow night assuming practice lines stay intact.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well Sutter has to do something, the forwards outside of Richards/Carter....Have been terrible.

I would have sat Regehr too, that guy is done in this league.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Probably the same way that your #1 center can go 20 games without a goal (or whatever ridiculous number it was).

Exactly.

Kopitar has one PP goal in the last year and a half (that includes the playoff's).

People are worried about Stoll ? Really ?

Mike Richards (who some think is washed up) has 7 in that time frame....

In his last 69 games, Kopitar has 12 ES goals......That is a major problem.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
king/brown-kopi-Williams
carbomb-richards-carter
cliffy-lewis-frattin
fraser-stoll-nolan

only change to d is amart in with greene

Substitute Toffoli for Frattin and we might have something here. (Imagine a 3rd line with a little scoring punch....hmm, I know, I'm dreaming)

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Exactly.

Kopitar has one PP goal in the last year and a half (that includes the playoff's).

And Penner, who was a perennial 30-goal scorer with EDM, had like 2 goals in two seasons with the Kings. ;-)

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Exactly.

In his last 69 games, Kopitar has 12 ES goals......That is a major problem.

Lol.

Kopi has led the team in scoring for the past 5-6 years, has he not???

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Well, those definitely are some lineup changes, unfortunately that's about as positive as I can be on them. I didn't like going with the same lineup going into the season, and I don't think this is much better. Carcillo on the 2nd line? Moving Frattin to RW, weakening our already extremely weak LW position? The first line still being together? Moving Stoll to 4th line, yet Fraser remains in the lineup? I hope they prove me wrong, but I don't like the look of these lines either

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Fraser is useless. How does a punching bag who couldn't even play on a crappy Oilers team be a main stay in the line-up.

He is awful.

I mentioned earlier this year that I thought Frattin would struggle at LW. He is taking passes on his backhand now. Took Brown years to figure that out. Both he and Brown shoot Right.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
What does that say about the Kings when your leading scorer can go 20 games without scoring a goal?
That other players suck more when they can't challange him in scoring?
I mean the guy has outscored his teammates by 15 Pts consistanly over the last few years...

Willie Mitchell needs to get his body into game shape... The D was quite the suck....

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Luckily for me, I'm still in a "no big deal" mood because of the Dodgers. Kinda like how I felt about the Dodgers
in the spring because of the Kings' playoff run last season.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Stoll on the 4th line is about 2-3 years overdue, we will just have to stick him there and wait it out until that horrific contract is off the books. He has played well on the PK this season, but he is a 4th liner at best at even-strength and should never sniff the PP. You just can't be an offensive black hole in a 3rd line role. Will be interesting to see how Lewis does at center, atleast he has someone with some talent on his rw.

Carcillo on the LW with Carter and Richards is just stupid, they have been playing well offensively but struggled mightily defensively, don't see how Carcillo helps that, and no idea why he is on a scoring line over Toffoli or Pearson.

The Kings roster still has way way to much grit and not enough skill, I'm starting to get worried that Sutter is going back to the way he coached in Calgary when the team was filled with a bunch of plumbers and very little skill.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad