Game #3 : KINGS vs. RANGERS - 10/7/13 - A Loss Best to Forget

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Some line changes in practice

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 29m So. Lines. 74-23-11-14 / 17-10-77 / 13-22-21 / 24-28-71; 44-8 / 33-26 / 27-2 / 6-5

and looks like AMart will be in tomorrow (good !)
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 47m Martinez-Greene and Muzzin-Ellerby are paired together this morning.

These are the lines we should have started the season with.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
... the last 2 seasons?? :laugh:

How about since 1991?! (whoops, 05-06 had a promising start, then the D left)

Hey my memory of stuff like this is only going back so far:laugh: And the same core for these seasons mostly. Just with Carter in and Voynov for Jack

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Stoll's offensive game is gone. He is purely a physical face-off center who is good in the room and in the community and is making a nice chunk of change. The days of 15-20 goals and 40 points are gone.

The sad thing is Shore is too green and Vey is too small to replace him. I would keep Lewis at center and take King or Fraser out of the line-up.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
@reallisa: Sutter on Jake Muzzin: "He's struggling a lot."

I guess Sutter is unfairly criticizing Muzzin eh? Where are his relatives who can't come to his defense after I pointed out his mistakes last night?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I have somewhat of a weird idea, what if we tried Muzzin up at forward? He has a very nice shot, and some size on him. Maybe like a poverty stricken man's Brent Burns.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I remember when the Kings got annihilated by Dallas last year and we all said "that was the worst game we've seen them play in X years." Now this game happens and it's "that was the worst game we've seen them play in X years." These "worst games" are becoming more frequent.

This is my ideal lineup right now with the players we have in the org. Players who don't appear are either waived, traded, or sent down.

Pearson-Kopitar-Williams
Carcillo-Carter-Toffoli
Frattin-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
King, Nolan

Muzzin-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Regehr

Quick
Scrivens

Balanced scoring throughout with 1-2 punches on every line (Kopitar-Williams, Carter-Toffoli, Richards-Brown, Stoll-Lewis).

Defense is more mobile with 4/6 defensemen with decent wheels. Still have a SHD presence with Greene and Mitchell as well as PK. Doughty can function in any situation, as well.

This will never happen, though, because we don't like creativity.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
@reallisa: Sutter on Jake Muzzin: "He's struggling a lot."

I guess Sutter is unfairly criticizing Muzzin eh? Where are his relatives who can't come to his defense after I pointed out his mistakes last night?

I think Muzzin is a very good 3rd pairing PMD type of Dman. I also know that he has been struggling this season. You pointed out exactly what I saw last night in regards to Muzzin's poor play.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Muzzin is a very good 3rd pairing PMD type of Dman. I also know that he has been struggling this season. You pointed out exactly what I saw last night in regards to Muzzin's poor play.

You're always fair TG, but I was completely puzzled how others were questioning what I was watching and calling me unfair when I called him out on his errors, which apparently the coach was quite unhappy with as well.

I'm more miffed and confused as to why (and how) the coaches came to the decision to play Muzzin over Martinez from the start of the season. If they're fairly giving every player equal opportunity to seize a roster position, there there is no reason why Martinez should have been a healthy scratch at all. He played very well throughout camp and preseason and looked like an NHL defenseman, unlike Muzzin.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Muzzin is not a PMD

He is an offensive Dman, but he can't transition the puck at all

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
You're always fair TG, but I was completely puzzled how others were questioning what I was watching and calling me unfair when I called him out on his errors, which apparently the coach was quite unhappy with as well.

I'm more miffed and confused as to why (and how) the coaches came to the decision to play Muzzin over Martinez from the start of the season. If they're fairly giving every player equal opportunity to seize a roster position, there there is no reason why Martinez should have been a healthy scratch at all. He played very well throughout camp and preseason and looked like an NHL defenseman, unlike Muzzin.

Yep, I can only add that Marty is as puzzled as you me and several other people. The only guess I can make and this is just a guess is that they are doing everything they can to bring Muzzin along so that they can move him or, if he can keep putting his game together and turn the big corner then move Marty instead.

Since I was an early champion of both of these kids (AMart and Muzz) I have to say of the two A Mart is hands down the better Dman in every aspect except physicality.

Captain Mittens*

Yep, I can only add that Marty is as puzzled as you me and several other people. The only guess I can make and this is just a guess is that they are doing everything they can to bring Muzzin along so that they can move him or, if he can keep putting his game together and turn the big corner then move Marty instead.

Since I was an early champion of both of these kids (AMart and Muzz) I have to say of the two A Mart is hands down the better Dman in every aspect except physicality.

I don't understand why Muzzin is playing either.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I wouldn't give up on Muzzin just yet, the problem is the Kings D is young with Muzzin, Doughty and Voynov. Martinez is older than all of them. Doughty is still only 23, same with Voynov.

Marty has the Stanley Cup experience.

Just noticed Muzzin is a -5 already. Wow.

Frattin is -4. Another shocker.

I'll say it right now...Lombardi's hard on for this guy may be his downfall. Penner was not the answer and Frattin isn't either. Kings need an established NATURAL LW Power Forward to play alongside Carter and Richards. Not a borderline 3rd line RW from Toronto.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I was surprised that Martinez was not in the lineup on opening night as well, but I still think Muzzin is going to be a solid 4-5 defenseman in the NHL. The kid has all the tools, just needs to find his way.

Martinez is the superior player when it comes to moving the puck out of the zone though, and the Kings could definitely use some of that right now.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I wouldn't give up on Muzzin just yet, the problem is the Kings D is young with Muzzin, Doughty and Voynov. Martinez is older than all of them. Doughty is still only 23, same with Voynov.

Marty has the Stanley Cup experience.

Just noticed Muzzin is a -5 already. Wow.

Frattin is -4. Another shocker.

I'll say it right now...Lombardi's hard on for this guy may be his downfall. Penner was not the answer and Frattin isn't either. Kings need an established NATURAL LW Power Forward to play alongside Carter and Richards. Not a borderline 3rd line RW from Toronto.

These type of guys are not easy to come by. Look around at teams in the NHL and how many of them have this type of player?

Hopefully, one of the prospects is going to grow into this role and do it quickly.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I only see Pearson doing it sooner rather than later. I was hoping Lombardi would have landed a UFA like Iginla or Morrow to shore up the position temporarily rather than give Bernier away from spare parts.

I would have traded Bernier for a 1st and then just signed a UFA to replace Penner.

Now we are stuck with Frattin, Scrivens and some cash...and Bernier is lights out.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
What we actually lack is talent. All bottom 6 including Frattin are grinders with no skill. Only Carter is a finisher and I'm willing to bet we will have trouble scoring this year. And no our young guys in Manchester are not ready yet. Kopitar is regressing all of a sudden. And Richards is all heart but just not big enough at times. I'm not even sure what to do except play it out and see. But just my observations.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Doesn't matter how well Bernier plays, he was not in the Kings future plans, this is Quick's team and it was time for Bernier to move on. Not only did it do no good to keep the asset opening the bench door, it wasn't fair to JB, he deserved a starting job.

The Kings didn't have the cap space to sign an UFA like Iginla or Morrow because of some awful decisions when it comes to giving extensions to veteran players who are contributing very little.

If the Kings are going to bring in re-enforcement's, it's going to have to be from within, they are to far up against the cap.

KingKopitar11*

Our line up is only effective if the cycle is effective, if they can't play the boards they are mostly useless. We got to get like the Hawks and have four fast scoring lines. Not some ******** bogus fourth "energy" line. And some random third line that has no role really, but they are ineffective. So either Sutter gets with the program and drops the whole grinder mentality or we can keep sucking.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I liked Bernier when he was here and yeah he's doing well in Toronto in a few games. He will eventual take the starting job from Reimer but if anyone's seen the maple leafs games this year their Defense is atrocious and that will wear him down.

KingKopitar11*

I liked Bernier when he was here and yeah he's doing well in Toronto in a few games. He will eventual take the starting job from Reimer but if anyone's seen the maple leafs games this year their Defense is atrocious and that will wear him down.

Wear him down? No, he's a solid positional goalie, if anyone can start and handle tons of minutes is a goalie like him. Bernier has done it a lot before he was on the kings roster.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
What we actually lack is talent. All bottom 6 including Frattin are grinders with no skill. Only Carter is a finisher and I'm willing to bet we will have trouble scoring this year. And no our young guys in Manchester are not ready yet. Kopitar is regressing all of a sudden. And Richards is all heart but just not big enough at times. I'm not even sure what to do except play it out and see. But just my observations.

Toffoli is absolutely ready. He came in and put up 5 points in 10 regular season games and 6 points (+5) in 12 playoff games. He had a better PPG in the playoffs last year than Brown, and the same (.5) as Kopi and Williams playing half the minutes. His first game back in Manchester this year, he scores a goal. The Kings need another natural goalscorer desperately, we should be using the season to further integrate a player like Toffoli into the big club instead of another grinder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad