Blow this team up already!

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Star centre

1 goal

Your bag of excuses notwithstanding I’m completely unimpressed by Matthews since pretty much every single other star in the game seems to produce at their usual rate into the playoffs except him.

His goals and points tank.

You blame it on nonsense of course. Real players don’t seem to let it affect them.
Matthews is a star, if you disagree then you can't be helped.

There are major concerns in this team, blaming it on the best player is laughable.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Burke is old as shit now, I don’t think he’d be able to work as president. But he would be a good option. I’d also see if you could pry Jim Nill from Dallas
Yeah Burke would be more of an advisor role. I’d like to try and pry that innovative outside the box “you need skill skill skill no physicality” thinker out of Pittsburgh, I forget his name, rhymes with pubes, oh yeah dubes!

Reactions: hotpaws

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
THIS is indefensible.

These guys are a bunch of gutless chokers. It's no longer plausible you can build around this core. The team has continued to stagnate.

From the President to the toilets the whole thing stinks.

The question now is how to fix the damn team. "We can and we will" has been the biggest waste of money in franchise history. Yet ownership doesn't have the stomach to make change at the top where the stagnation is oozing.

Zero accountability there.

They have four star forwards. One of whom is a three times Rocket Richard winner. And they STILL haven't won a damn thing yet.

If any of them try to get away with saying anything but apologize for the state of this team today it would be disgusting.
Remember when you were pissed they didnt trade away all their assets for rentals 😂

This is why I've always been against this thought. Until the GUYS can show they can get it done themselves, theres no use to tossing premium assets every year.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

"Shoot the puck"

"Stop your crying, this isn't Jr."

Good , I hope their frustrations escalate to the point where Muskoka Mitch entitled varsity boy approves a trade.

I always thought Willie was a bit of a floater but seeing him giving the gears to Mitch ... LOOOOOVE IT!

Of course not, Boston has a 3 games to 1 lead. The round is not over yet.
It was over before it started.

The Leafs were/are plagued by structural breakdowns all year, and it continues in the playoffs. When you face a team who has details in their game and you don't, you have zero chance.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Of course not, Boston has a 3 games to 1 lead. The round is not over yet.
Please stop.

Please stop being so literal, and please stop believing that these guys have what it takes to.win 3 consecutive games against the Boston Bruins in the playoffs.

Everyone here knows the Leafs are not mathematically eliminated. Everyone also knows they aren't coming back from this.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The biggest bet we've made in this entire era was 4 Forwards + 1 Defencemen.
We pushed so much of our cap towards these 5 players and weren't left with much to build a balanced team.
We've surrounded them with all types of different supporting casts and doubled and tripled down on the belief they'd eventually figure it out.

Maybe Treliving is terrible, maybe we overcorrected with grit but the one constant remains and that's once the playoffs start, our top players cannot consistently provide the offense needed and too often get shutdown.

This core hasn't won a presidents trophy, can't win it's own division when comprised of TB/BOS/FLA and haven't even went on one long playoff run. At some point we just need to accept this build and with these specific players is not going to work.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Another year, another early exit in the PO´s. As sure as death and taxes.
If nothing BIG changes within the organization, ie coaching staff, making meaningful roster moves (even if it means letting go of a star player or 2)... History will repeat itself.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
We all know who Mitchy and daddy Mitchy are. We have played with and against many of them. Babs may have been a jerk, but Mitchy sold him out.
Keefe will be fired after this season, looks to be deserved. But he has lived with Muskoka
Mitchy and in my books that makes him a Saint.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
One thing I noticed is that this team has no speed anymore. We used to constantly have breakaways and a lot of them were on PK. Guys like Mikheyev with such speed, it was disruptive and created chaos on the other side. What happened? 34, 16, 88 are a bit slower this year. 91 is entering Jason Allison territory. Guys we have tat have a bit of speed are warming the bench most of the game.

Tedd

May 11, 2023
He has NEVER shown up in the playoffs. Going on what, 8 years now? A lot longer than people realize.

Regular season hero, playoff bust. A dime a dozen.
Playoff hockey is a step up just like going from Junior A to the NHL. The step-up is not based on skill but on WILL, grit, and loving the grind. Big playoff performers love to impose their will on their opponents through intimidation (hits) and relentless defense.

Superb conditioning is required to play a 200-foot game and I believe the Leafs top players would rather save their energy for the offensive zone. Playoff hockey means fighting for your space and willingness to take a hit to keep possession of the puck. The Leafs core 4 have shown through repeated playoff performances that they do not like this brand of hockey. They would rather play pond hockey with no hitting so they can accumulate STATS instead of going through the playoff gauntlet to win the CUP.

Winning the CUP is the hardest grind in pro sports and it takes a special group of unselfish guys to win this trophy. The Leafs simply don't have the right mix of fighters and it starts with the core 4.

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
He wasn’t the only problem out there tonight or these playoffs but gosh I hope we never have to see another game with marner in a Leafs sweater and keefe being the bench. Move on

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
1. Nothing is changing with Shanahan still here.
2. Everything Treliving touched went from bad to worse with the Flames.
3. Keefe gets outcoached every year and twice at home.
4. Tavares is an anchor with both his contract and soft captain.
5. Marner makes 11m and good for 1 goal per playoff series.
6. Last year was the outlier not the norm for Samsonov.

The blueprint can't be more clear of what need to be done.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Lou signed a 38 year old Patrick Marleau to 6 million a year for 3 years, and that was 7 years ago.

Yeah so? Lou makes people dissapear.
What happened to the culture with NYI? They should hire Lou.

Their great team culture is leading them to a sweep...

Buyout Nylander? This post makes absolutely no sense, and that is putting it nicely.

View attachment 860663

There is the cap hit against Toronto until the 2040
Two conference final game sevens against the champion. Lou's resume is pretty good in NYI.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
If we get rid of Marner, that frees up $11M. JT goes away in a year and that's another $10M+.

Matthews, Rielly and Nylander are a heck of a core. Use the money to bring in some tough pit bull players with talent - we have WAY too much finesse on this team. Do that and we'll be more than fine.

Nylander and Rielly are still here with their bad contracts.

Fire Shanahan. Lure best exec (Armstrong) to be president with one condition. Marner and Tavares must be gone before September.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Keefe is fired the day after we're eliminated. Book it.
I wouldn't go that far, just because they still need to do their exit interviews and all that. But within a week I'd say is reasonable.

I think they're gonna clean house, it's not gonna be just Keefe. I think Boucher and Van Ryn are gonna follow him out the door too, as well as Shanahan.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Whining and calling for the refs all game as if we're going to score on our 1/14 powerplay. I'm beyond angry or disappointed, numb to these guys. These guys don't deserve to wear the maple leaf. Whoever wins the cup, their MVP will make less than our lowest paid core 4 player. This is an annual tradition in fact.

It's time to be ruthless

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
they are going to most likely have to let jt and Marner expire and leave for nothing . I’m sure the fan base will fully support that lol

My guess is they won’t be able to with Marner

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Remember when you were pissed they didnt trade away all their assets for rentals 😂

This is why I've always been against this thought. Until the GUYS can show they can get it done themselves, theres no use to tossing premium assets every year.
Dubass bet everything on them, f***ed us and then fooled the Pens into giving him everything. There is no justice in the world for Leafs fans. Hard to believe this organization can be so incompetent. I guess when you print money, it does not matter. Now let's pay the cry baby 12 sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad