Post-Game Talk: GAME #29 - Canucks 3 vs. Blues 2 Part II - "More TSN Coverage Please "

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yes and no. I think part of it is his willingness to jump up. Errs on the side of caution too much IMO.

But yes, if he did correct that part of his game, whether through improved straight line speed and/or will to jump, he would be a very versatile top pair guy.

I don't know, you seem him jump up when he has an opportunity and knows he won't be burned and he's actually good at it when he does, but he clearly knows his own limitations well and doesn't risk it when he knows he would be at a risk of getting burned.

I'm actually impressed by his all around hockey sense, this is a VERY smart player. His ability to read the play in the D zone is excellent. I know people compare him to Mitchell but I would actually say that Garrison reads the play much better, whereas Mitchell relied on being physical and his long reach a lot more.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
shortshorts;62014827[B said:
]This is a trend[/B].

Most teams are prone to panicking under high pressure. However, this is much more evident than just under pressure.

Post note: I thought Edler played very well.

No argument there. It's a trend and the players need to stop the trend.
A push back by St. Louis in the third should have been expected. Most teams weather that initial pushback and then start to pick up the play again. That's what we did the last two years. This year has been different. I think the team misses Kesler desperately. He settles things down and can skate the puck out. Hansen is the only guy really doing that now on the forwards. He's taken another step this year.

Anyways a win that we desperately needed.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
w00t.

Thoughts:

Schneider was Godlike. Amazing bad luck on the goals against.

Blues made their own luck on the goals against. 3rd period was all dump-and-don't-chase for the Canucks...SO maddening. This sit back and let them come again and again and again **** is just mind-boggling. It's like they want the other team to come back and win in the end. One of these days it should really occur to AV that the best defense is a good offense. Remember that "modeling themselves after the Red Wings" jazz? Well, here's something the Red Wings figured out long ago: if you don't give the puck to the other team, you don't have to play defense.

Schroeder with a great game. Should bloody well get a shot with offensive players. *this is a recording*

Kassian gone again, Tanev gone. NOT good developments.

Wiese with his one good game in every 20 or 30.

Hamhuis needs therapy, or rehab, or training, or a brain transplant or something. If he's not playing hurt, something's seriously wrong with him.

Bieksa's also nothing to write home about right now. Watching cooly while the play goes sailing by him most of the time tonight.

1 good period out of 3. Not liking that, but we pulled it out anyway.

Honey Badger and MayRay with strong games.

Garrison also very solid.

Edler less so.

Ballard...well, no spectacular ****ups that caused goals against tonight. Having trouble remembering why I was advocating playing him over Alberts or *shudder* Barker.

Sedins were in Globetrotter form with the puck. Not to nitpick, but would have liked to see a little less dispy-doodle and a little more puck in the net. I know, I know...

Booth is terrible, Kassian is terrible, we have no prospects and it's all the GM's fault, we're losing more than winning and it's all the coach's fault, we suck, have all the players chemically castrated, etc etc etc.

Victory. w00t.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hansen is just a beast. Strong all over the ice.

Schroeder converts - he's going to need to keep that going in some fashion.

Keep Zack out until fully healed.

This is the team. Not banking on Zack, Kesler, and obviously not Booth. This is the line-up that will decide playoffs or no playoffs.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
No argument there. It's a trend and the players need to stop the trend.
A push back by St. Louis in the third should have been expected. Most teams weather that initial pushback and then start to pick up the play again. That's what we did the last two years. This year has been different. I think the team misses Kesler desperately. He settles things down and can skate the puck out. Hansen is the only guy really doing that now on the forwards.

Anyways a win that we desperately needed.

I agree. Despite, my hate for Kesler, he is strong on his skates (when he wants to) and is able to take it into the opposing zone (for a stupid wrist shot...:laugh:).

This team needs to continue to skate, and shoot. Our team doesn't lack skill. It lacks speed.

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
funny how people are overreacting after 1 game. Tbh, the canucks got lucky and were outmatched by the Blues.

And they almost choked a 3-0 lead.

I wouldn't be too happy about this win. Let's get some consistency first. They win a game here and there, then lose 3 or 4 in a row.

I'm tired of getting my hopes up and then they **** the bed again.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
funny how people are overreacting after 1 game. Tbh, the canucks got lucky and were outmatched by the Blues.

I wouldn't be too happy about this win. Let's get some consistency first. They win a game here and there, then lose 3 or 4 in a row.

It evens out. I thought we were the better team in the Detroit and Minny games but we lost. Tonight we played poorly but really cranked it up in the second and won.
We look like a team that is not playing with much confidence. Hopefully this helps.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

I really don't see people being overly optimistic here. Read the thread if you don't believe me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know, you seem him jump up when he has an opportunity and knows he won't be burned and he's actually good at it when he does, but he clearly knows his own limitations well and doesn't risk it when he knows he would be at a risk of getting burned.

I'm actually impressed by his all around hockey sense, this is a VERY smart player. His ability to read the play in the D zone is excellent. I know people compare him to Mitchell but I would actually say that Garrison reads the play much better, whereas Mitchell relied on being physical and his long reach a lot more.

Agreed. His IQ is very strong. Even when Hamhuis gets caught flailing about, Garrison is there to cover up. He's also there with a mind to get the play going up ice, which is something Mitchell sometimes lacked.

Mitchell was more 1 on 1 focused. Shutting down his guy was paramount, and in that sense, he was excellent. Garrison is a "full play" Dman where he will sometimes make a "weaker" D play on purpose because he sees the play developing outside of his own assignment. If that makes sense. For example, I saw him near the goal line with the puck and he could have hammered it up the wing, with two Blues closing in on him, but he saw that there was no winger support so he purposefully shoved the puck into the corner and _chose_ to battle two Blues at once. Someone else looking at that play would think "move the puck quicker Garrison", but it was actually a very smart play considering where the support was and what he had time to do.

Last edited:

StringerBell

Not sure if this has been posted:

VanCanucks Vancouver Canucks
AV on Tanev: "Not sure where the puck hit him, but it sounds like he's fine."

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Hamhuis needs therapy, or rehab, or training, or a brain transplant or something. If he's not playing hurt, something's seriously wrong with him.

More often than not when a good player struggles there's an injury behind it. I saw a picture of Hamhuis with his wrist tensored up a couple weeks back on CDC. Could be dealing with a wrist/hand injury...

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007
It was awesome to see the twins out there in the final minute defending the lead with the Blues net empty. I don't know the last time I saw that.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Pretty solid game there, Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond was great all night, blueline was solid, Schneider was excellent, Sedin line very good, Pinizotto throwing the hits, Weise with a beauty and skating well all night, good fights by Kassian and Sestito getting everyone fired up, this is the kind of game we need to play. Hopefully Kassian and Tanev are not out for too long, but this game is really encouraging, everyone was in sync and on the same page and pulling in the same direction, lineup was solid top to bottom. Good way to start out for getting on this road trip, it's key we start picking up some points here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad