Post-Game Talk: GAME #29 - Canucks 3 vs. Blues 2 Part II - "More TSN Coverage Please "

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I agree we have one of the deepest bluelines in the NHL. I guess the question is whether you place most of the blame on the players and their execution or on the coaching. I see too many poor decisions and missed assgnments by this group to blame it on coaching. AV's style is to give the players autonomy because they are a mature and seasoned group. I think it's going to be tough to change that style now with this group of players.
Anyways, I'm probably in the minority judging by most posts on here. And this probably isn't the thread to discuss this in any event so I'll leave it at that.
keith-ballard-4-nhl.jpg

Really only one player on the blueline has that - Bieksa (with mixed results at best).

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
What's with all the freak goals against? Last game there were two tough tips going in, today two goals because the puck hit players. 4 unlucky bounces in the last 24 hours. That's gotta turn around at some point right?

I wouldn't complain about bad luck last night, Vancouver was extremely lucky to win. You need wins like that. You seem to have forgoten the lucky bounces in the first that prevented them from scoring.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I wouldn't complain about bad luck last night, Vancouver was extremely lucky to win. You need wins like that. You seem to have forgoten the lucky bounces in the first that prevented them from scoring.

The Canucks didn't win due to luck, they won because they executed offensively and got stellar goaltending. Sure they were outchanced, but that doesn't mean they won due to luck. Both Blues goals were lucky - all 3 of the canucks goals were outstanding offensive plays.

John Bender*

The Canucks didn't win due to luck, they won because they executed offensively and got stellar goaltending. Sure they were outchanced, but that doesn't mean they won due to luck. Both Blues goals were lucky - all 3 of the canucks goals were outstanding offensive plays.

I know you gotta win to get in and all that.........but I am more concerned with the game than the result at this point. Watching last night gave me no cause for confidence in this group. The Canucks were by far the second best team last night. In a 7 game series, barring some miraculous effort by Schneider, I can't, at this point, see Vancouver beating a team as good as STL.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I know you gotta win to get in and all that.........but I am more concerned with the game than the result at this point. Watching last night gave me no cause for confidence in this group. The Canucks were by far the second best team last night. In a 7 game series, barring some miraculous effort by Schneider, I can't, at this point, see Vancouver beating a team as good as STL.

With this lineup Vancouver would likely lose to a healthy STL. With Kesler, another center and a right hand d man they are a good bet to beat STL. Vancouver exposed Stl. defense a few times last night. Hansen made Jackman, Polak, Redden look like Dana Murzyn without the hooking option. Everyteam has weaknesses. L.A. dominated Stl. last year. Stl. is no better this year good depth but lacking top forwards still. Their record is not great considering they have one of the best pp in the league.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'm not so sure about that. St. Louis is tied with us in points. While we benefit from playing in a weaker division I don't see the Blues as an unbeatable team. They've struggled like us at times. With Kesler back and a possible 3C pickup I think we mtach up pretty well.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm not so sure about that. St. Louis is tied with us in points. While we benefit from playing in a weaker division I don't see the Blues as an unbeatable team. They've struggled like us at times. With Kesler back and a possible 3C pickup I think we mtach up pretty well.
Only if the blueline plays to the level it should be at. Goaltending/Kesler is only going to bail you so much with respect to the defensive side of the game.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Only if the blueline plays to the level it should be at. Goaltending/Kesler is only going to bail you so much with respect to the defensive side of the game.

I see weaknesses with both teams. I think the Blues are overrated right now. they have a lot of big punishing forwards but also lack skill up front and we have better defensive depth and goaltending. I think a 7 game series would be pretty much a tossup right now.
It would be a pretty punishing series for us though. We'd probably suffer a lot of injuries even if we prevailed. That Blues team is huge. I watched them in person last year.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
- Canucks deserved to have their goalie bail them out, as both Schneider and Luongo have woefully underperformed to this point in the season. I'm not a fan of the way they've been utilized (with both guys having large gaps in play), but they both need to be better.

- In terms of getting pucks on net, the team hasn't been that bad over the past 10 games. They've been unlucky to some extent, and last night the "luck" (PDO) went their way.

- While I think the Canucks have been unlucky, I also think they've become awfully predictable. It's really easy to watch the team attack the offensive zone and know what to expect: drive wide, get repelled, and head to the corner to cycle the puck. It reminds me of the way the team plays defense: technically sound, but almost robotic in terms of predictability. That's a double-edged sword. It's a good trait for your systems, but unpredictability is a useful feature of a hockey team. It's why the Sedins excel, or why Datsyuk excels for Detroit despite their strong systems play. Too many of the Canucks lines play the exact same way all the time, and I think that's why they run into trouble in the post-season.

- Further to the last point, I think some of the best teams in the league are the ones with strict systems play but enough uniquely talented players that can play outside the system when a moment arises. That's a hard thing to quantify statistcially, but it's something I watch for in games. It's why Doughty can be such a force in the playoffs when his game starts clicking. Heck, it's why even a sometimes limited player like Bieksa can be so useful.
- Schneider really was excellent last night. That's the best he's looked since the Chicago game, probably about as good as his play against Anaheim in the 5-1 game in January.

- Schroeder had a good game.

- Sedins/Burrows continue to dominate at ES. Eventually you have to think Burr gets back to at least being a 10% shooter. Rotten luck this season with the number of pucks he's putting on net.

- Garrison's willingness to fire pucks on net quickly is refreshing. Why did this adjustment take 20 games?

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I see weaknesses with both teams. I think the Blues are overrated right now. they have a lot of big punishing forwards but also lack skill up front and we have better defensive depth and goaltending. I think a 7 game series would be pretty much a tossup right now.

Completely disagree. The Blues are a terrific team with an outstanding forward group. I think they're better than last year's Kings team, personally -- the only x factor there is Kopitar: the Blues don't have a guy at that level.

The Blues only problem is they had a combined 870 SV% from Elliot and Halak a month into the season. Allen isn't great, but all he needs to do is provide them 2011 Niemi-like goaltending for them to be serious cup threats.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
- Garrison's willingness to fire pucks on net quickly is refreshing. Why did this adjustment take 20 games?

agreed with your other points, just want to emphasize this, I like that he is just blasting pucks at the net, his accuracy will improve in time if he continues to do this, plus there is bound to be lucky bounces of the end boards/off shinpads ect that will go in. Also a really important thing to note is when teams start keying on him (especially on the PP) it should open things up down low.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Completely disagree. The Blues are a terrific team with an outstanding forward group. I think they're better than last year's Kings team, personally -- the only x factor there is Kopitar: the Blues don't have a guy at that level.

The Blues only problem is they had a combined 870 SV% from Elliot and Halak a month into the season. Allen isn't great, but all he needs to do is provide them 2011 Niemi-like goaltending for them to be serious cup threats.

I think that points to how competitive the West is. Pretty much any of the top 7 or 8 teams could go on an LA type run. The big question is whether they can get Quick type goaltending. I see that as their biggest weakness. I don't think Allen can do that for them but who knows?
I believe that a series between the Canucks and the Blues would be pretty much a tossup. Each team has holes.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
agreed with your other points, just want to emphasize this, I like that he is just blasting pucks at the net, his accuracy will improve in time if he continues to do this, plus there is bound to be lucky bounces of the end boards/off shinpads ect that will go in. Also a really important thing to note is when teams start keying on him (especially on the PP) it should open things up down low.

I can't believe it took us so long to start using him again on the powerplay. We should be trying to use his shot as a key part of our powerplay. I agree that having that weapon back there then opens it up for other players. When you have a struggling powerplay and a defenceman who was one of the top powerplay scorers last year you need to make him a key option on the powerplay.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
That third period last night was a huge concern.

I'll take the win, and maybe the third was more a result of fatigue than strategy, but if the coaching staff altered the gameplan to protect the lead, it was a huge mistake.

These Canucks are starting to remind me of the 07/08 team. There's a similar reluctance to play aggresively and a similar reliance on Vezina calibre goaltending to get anything out of these games.

Unless the powerplay starts firing at a 20% clip the rest of the way, I really don't know if this team, under this coach, is going to make the playoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not 100% sure where to put this, so I'll throw it in this PGT

When Kesler gets back what do you think we should run on the PP? I don't necessarily want Kesler in front of the net, and would like to utilize his shot. Therein lines the dilemma for me, if we don't put Kesler in front, then we will need to put someone there (Burrows, Kassian) and Kesler would be moved to the point. My problem with him on the point is that I think we need someone who can set up Garrison as well and I don't know if Kesler is the guy for that. Alternatively, having the ability to unleash two weapons from the point is appealing, I just feel that there may be chemistry issues with two guys that seem to be shoot first.

Obviously the guys that will be on the PP are the Sedins and Kesler, as well as Garrison and guys like
Burrows and Edler getting looks on it. Would like to get some other people's opinions on what we should do with it.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That third period last night was a huge concern.

I'll take the win, and maybe the third was more a result of fatigue than strategy, but if the coaching staff altered the gameplan to protect the lead, it was a huge mistake.

These Canucks are starting to remind me of the 07/08 team. There's a similar reluctance to play aggresively and a similar reliance on Vezina calibre goaltending to get anything out of these games.

Unless the powerplay starts firing at a 20% clip the rest of the way, I really don't know if this team, under this coach, is going to make the playoffs.

The Canucks have a pretty soft schedule to end the year. 13 of their remaining 19 games are against teams not currently in a playoff spot and they only have 2 sets of back to backs. I think as long as they get the goaltending they're accustomed to they'll probably make it in.

Pseudonymous*

Truthfully i have no idea why kassian isn't groomed to be a PP guy, holstrom style

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The Canucks have a pretty soft schedule to end the year. 13 of their remaining 19 games are against teams not currently in a playoff spot and they only have 2 sets of back to backs. I think as long as they get the goaltending they're accustomed to they'll probably make it in.

Also, the 07/08 Canucks were basically the 09/10 Avalanche, the 10/11 Stars or the 11/12 Wild. This is actually a good team.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

Maybe. I hope they do, because once you're in, you have a shot. Especially if they get a healthy Kesler back and add a piece or two at the deadline.

I have to say, though, this group doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment. There doesn't seem to be any purpose or identity to their game. It's all well and good that they have a bunch of games against teams below the playoff bar, but those games seem as tough for us as games against the "contenders", so who knows?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Not 100% sure where to put this, so I'll throw it in this PGT

When Kesler gets back what do you think we should run on the PP? I don't necessarily want Kesler in front of the net, and would like to utilize his shot. Therein lines the dilemma for me, if we don't put Kesler in front, then we will need to put someone there (Burrows, Kassian) and Kesler would be moved to the point. My problem with him on the point is that I think we need someone who can set up Garrison as well and I don't know if Kesler is the guy for that. Alternatively, having the ability to unleash two weapons from the point is appealing, I just feel that there may be chemistry issues with two guys that seem to be shoot first.

Obviously the guys that will be on the PP are the Sedins and Kesler, as well as Garrison and guys like
Burrows and Edler getting looks on it. Would like to get some other people's opinions on what we should do with it.

Me personally I'd like this.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows(In front of the net)
Kesler-Garrison

2 nd unit

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Edler-Bieksa

This is assuming we don't make a deal for an Iginla or Roy.

M A K A V E L I*

"More TSN Coverage Please" in the topic? I say no. They sent a copyright strike to my account for the Luongo vs. Schneider skit. :shakehead

I'm not gonna do anymore Canucks on TSN highlights. Who knows when they'll start targetting those as well. If you get 3 strikes, youtube deletes all your videos and shuts down your account.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
They posted it on their own channel, TSNCanada. I suppose they want viewers to watch the video on their channel, which makes sense. It is their content, after all.

Which is funny, because they went after the guy who was posting Onrait and O'Toole clips, shut him down, then ended up hiring him to repost them all on their channel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad