GDT: Game 2: Wild @ Avs - 8 PM CT / 4 AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Well it's hard to argue someone deserves more playing time with better players than playing minimal minutes a night with grinders but considered the better of the 3 on the line?:thumbu:
I may have lost my way in this discussion, the Twins game really took it's toll ... Who are you referring to?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well it's hard to argue someone deserves more playing time with better players than playing minimal minutes a night with grinders but considered the better of the 3 on the line?:thumbu:
I didn't think that you would be able to answer my question

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I didn't think that you would be able to answer my question
Ek considered playing well in a minimal role and minimal minutes and is actually apart of the future vs koivu who we dont know is bailing after this year to twilight his career in the FIN league. Caught back up?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I like Ek much more than a lot of others on the board ... But in comparison to Koivu, at this moment, it's a tough sell

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ek considered playing well in a minimal role and minimal minutes and is actually apart of the future vs koivu who we dont know is bailing after this year to twilight his career in the FIN league. Caught back up?
Yeah, you failed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Best center at shutting down chances for the better lines but hindering everything in scoring. You saying hes the answer to get more scoring vs sticking him in what he excels at is misleading to these teenagers and old folk.
I'm not saying Koivu is the answer to anything other than "who is the best center on the team right now?"

I get that Koivu is old and I get that him being our best center is a problem. I think everyone here thinks it's a problem. But playing him fewer minutes isn't going to fix anything. Eriksson-Ek isn't being held back developmentally by playing on the 4th line; he's had two years to show what he's got and thus far what he's got qualifies him for 4th line duty. Boudreau seems to like him and isn't shy about giving guys a chance; I'm sure he'd love to promote Ek as soon as Ek actually gives him a reason to.

And the 4th line isn't exactly an inescapable hell on this team. He gets a healthy number of minutes (5th most among the forwards, tonight) and Foligno and Hartman are better than your average 4th line wingers. Heck, if anyone on that line has been making a case for a promotion it's Hartman, who's been a pleasant surprise so far.

Hypothetically I guess they could take the "if you build it, they will come" approach and put him between Zucker and Fiala, but that's effectively what they've been doing with Kunin so far and the results speak for themselves. Maybe after 20 games of awfulness something will click, but it's at least as likely that he's just being miscast as something he isn't. It isn't doing him or the rest of the team any good and it'd be better for everyone to have him at RW, where he actually looks somewhat comfortable.

Bruce can't make these guys into good centers by fiat. They have to actually play well. And they haven't.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
It's only 2 games but The problem was very easy to see last night.
The Wild were simply a much slower team. Looks like some of the F's ages have caught up with them and not just Stall and Koivu. Who both have not been good.
Zuccarello with 2 hooking p's ???? Either much slower or dumb lazy penalties.
There's a reason most of the legues' GM's are paying the their young guys in their early -mid 20's the biggest contracts not guys in their 30's like the Wild have done.
BB is going to have no choice but to change things up or he will be looking for a new job because he's the 1st one to go. He's going to have to battle Owner, Mngt and vets but it's his ass on the chopping block.
Wild need a young ,skilled C desperately and it's going to cost them.. so something has to give but for 5 - 10 games things have to be shaken up and guys aren't going to be happy with their rolls. we would see if everyone bought into BG's "All In" mentality really quick.
I'd go with something like this

Zucker - EK - Zuccarello
Donato - Rask - Fiala
Parise - Stall - Kunin
Foligno - Koivu - Hartman
Greenway can fit in almost anywhere.

There isn't a 1st, 2nd , 3rd and 4th line just rollem and play who's hot.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I fully expect using a 2 game sample size for analytics to show some wonky stuff such as Kunin being our best center. :help:

Reactions: 2Pair

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
1st line center Lukey Q9!?

Looks like I made the right choice to go see Joker instead of watching the game.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
I fully expect using a 2 game sample size for analytics to show some wonky stuff such as Kunin being our best center. :help:

Not just center but the best player in general, I brought up the analytics only after people where claiming to see a lot of stuff after the first two games.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not just center but the best player in general, I brought up the analytics only after people where claiming to see a lot of stuff after the first two games.
If your analytics are telling you that Kunin has been the best player on the team? Then you either need some new analytics or you need to learn how to actually understand them.

Reactions: P10p

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Watching the highlights... That first goal scored by Rantanen, Koivu has to do a better job defending that. I mean, Brodin and Kunin both tried to make up for it (Brodin got close and he had to go through Mackinnon), but it was Koivu's fault cause he let Rantanen get to the middle. Bad defense. The second goal against, Fiala can't skate himself into the corner! He took himself out of the play with the other guys having no chance to cover for him. Last tidbit, gotta start scoring on those breakaways. 0-3 on the season.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Could you show these analytics? I must have missed them.

QvPjjnA.png

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
If your analytics are telling you that Kunin has been the best player on the team? Then you either need some new analytics or you need to learn how to actually understand them.

Well Spurgeon is a good competition but the whole team has sucked in general and that decides the games.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He has the third highest offensive zone start % among the forwards behind Parise and Greenway. Could skew the corsi stats just a bit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Why are people trying to 4th line Koivu? He's playing the same game with the same speed that he a few years ago when the Wild had one of the best lines in the NHL with the Zucker/Koivu/Granny line.

He isn't the most active center in the o-zone, no. But if you watch how the other 4 on the ice play he doesn't need to be. His d-zone play allows one wing to cheat out of the zone. It also allows a d-man to float higher in the d-zone and join in the rush the other way. That d-man (Spurgeon/Dumba mostly) then becomes the F3 going into the o-zone.

Look at the points for both Spurgeon and Suter before and after Koivu was lost for the season last year. Suter went from a .68 ppg pace to a .38 ppg pace; Spurgeon went from a .60 ppg pace to a .38 ppg pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad