GDT: Game 2: Wild @ Avs - 8 PM CT / 4 AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I dont think Aceofspades actually understands how to translate raw stats into actual analytics. The numbers are only one part of it. You also need to be able to put the numbers into context. It helps explain why a advanced stat is what it is. His problem is he is looking at corsi without even watching what happened on the ice.

Guys like you are why people hate advanced stats. You've got half a picture and then you come in here and relentlessly defend it.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Here's a perfect example of the point that I'm trying to make.

In the 3rd period Greenway wins a puck battle, cycles up the LW boards in the offensive zone.Hands the puck off to Suter skating towards the goalline. Suter throws the puck back to Greenway in the faceoff circle. Greenway gets a shot on net and the rebound falls at the feet of Kunin who is fighting for position with a Avs defenseman. Kunin swings at the puck while falling down and the puck is cleared.

On the analytical side of things, this is a HDSC for Kunin. Pretty much the best thing a player can do short of actually scoring a goal.

On the watch the game side of things, this a failure for Kunin. I'm not going to really hold it agaisnt the kid for losing a puck battle, but it certainly isn't something that he should be getting any credit for either.

Yes he should, for being in the right place trying to do the right thing.
If he is in the right place doing the right thing more often than not that offensive potential will translate to results.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes he should, for being in the right place trying to do the right thing.
If he is in the right place doing the right thing more often than not that offensive potential will translate to results.
Keep digging, you'll get yourself out eventually

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Here might be an issue, actual scoring chance might mean very different things to different people.
Your general impression, did you see offensive potential, with better passing, speed, timing, rythm, flow?
Or did you see it as a wholly barren desert?
Jesus, it's a good thing I did my drinking on Friday night, I guess.

My recollection of that line last night was that it spent most of it's time in the offensive zone stuck along the boards and that they didn't generate much from the middle of the ice or even up around the net where you'd expect those three to be good. I don't recall many shifts of sustained pressure, though I think there were a few decent ones early in the 3rd. Maybe it was the 2nd?

There wasn't a lot of "flow" or "rhythm" though. Parise's complaints about a lack of chemistry weren't exactly unfounded, because they didn't seem to connect on much.

Reactions: Aceofspades

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
I dont think Aceofspades actually understands how to translate raw stats into actual analytics. The numbers are only one part of it. You also need to be able to put the numbers into context. It helps explain why a advanced stat is what it is. His problem is he is looking at corsi without even watching what happened on the ice.

Guys like you are why people hate advanced stats. You've got half a picture and then you come in here and relentlessly defend it.

Do tell how to put the numbers into context and actual analytics, describe the process, so we can all converge what we see on ice and stats.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Corsi was big when it was new and analytics were new. Corsi has become an antiquated advanced stat as newer and better analytic stats have come around.

Cosi is so easy to miss read due to context it's crazy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Do tell how to put the numbers into context and actual analytics, describe the process, so we can all converge what we see on ice and stats.

I watch the game. I take a look at the stats to see if they confirm or differ from what I think I saw. If they confirm, then I feel pretty good about being "right" in what I saw. If they differ, then I go back and re-think about why they might differ, what might cause those differences, and what I should maybe look for in future games.

For example, my eyes told me that Parise, Staal and Zuccarello have been pretty bad, and the stats back that up pretty concretely. I feel pretty good that neither of them are lying to me.

Reactions: 2Pair

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Jesus, it's a good thing I did my drinking on Friday night, I guess.

My recollection of that line last night was that it spent most of it's time in the offensive zone stuck along the boards and that they didn't generate much from the middle of the ice or even up around the net where you'd expect those three to be good. I don't recall many shifts of sustained pressure, though I think there were a few decent ones early in the 3rd. Maybe it was the 2nd?

There wasn't a lot of "flow" or "rhythm" though. Parise's complaints about a lack of chemistry weren't exactly unfounded, because they didn't seem to connect on much.

Thanks for a useful answer without snarling.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
When has there a been a time in hockey that a forward battling in front of the net for the puck has not gotten credit?
This is the NHL. You don't get credit for trying but failing. Like I said, I'm not going to hold it against anyone for losing a battle, but I'm also not going to give them credit for doing it either.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
This is the NHL. You don't get credit for trying but failing. Like I said, I'm not going to hold it against anyone for losing a battle, but I'm also not going to give them credit for doing it either.

I see the logic in that and will correct my ways, not.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

In the 3rd period Greenway wins a puck battle, cycles up the LW boards in the offensive zone.Hands the puck off to Suter skating towards the goalline. Suter throws the puck back to Greenway in the faceoff circle. Greenway gets a shot on net and the rebound falls at the feet of Kunin who is fighting for position with a Avs defenseman. Kunin swings at the puck while falling down and the puck is cleared.

On the analytical side of things, this is a HDSC for Kunin. Pretty much the best thing a player can do short of actually scoring a goal.

On the watch the game side of things, this a failure for Kunin. I'm not going to really hold it agaisnt the kid for losing a puck battle, but it certainly isn't something that he should be getting any credit for either.
Yeah, I feel like this has turned into some kind of referendum on Kunin, which I don't think was anyone's point. My actual gripe is that our centers, as a group, haven't been good and that Koivu's the only one that's really looked reliable. Ek's been alright relative to expectations, but that's not really high praise.

I don't really hold it against Kunin for not knocking this out of the park in 2 games, but I have a hard time accepting that he's been secretly good.

Reactions: 2Pair

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

This play starts at 6:45 of the above video. Kunin literally gets a prime time shot off! Where exactly did he lose the puck battle? Why shouldn't this be counted as a HDSC? He put himself in a position to get the rebound (Parise-esque) and just couldn't lift it over the pad or between the legs of the goalie as the puck was bouncing.

Is losing a puck battle just not scoring a goal in that situation? Or are you defining statistics using your own terms now? :help:

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland

This play starts at 6:45 of the above video. Kunin literally gets a prime time shot off! Where exactly did he lose the puck battle? Why shouldn't this be counted as a HDSC? He put himself in a position to get the rebound (Parise-esque) and just couldn't lift it over the pad or between the legs of the goalie as the puck was bouncing.

Is losing a puck battle just not scoring a goal in that situation? Or are you defining statistics using your own terms now? :help:

Kunin is looking very strong against that defender, stick is on the ice the whole time, open and free for a pass and gets two shots at the goal after it comes.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

1. I already said that it was a HDSC
2. He swings and misses twice and barely touches it onto the pad of Grubauer
3. Kunin really did nothing to create this chance and did absolutely nothing to finish it

edit- as a bonus, if you let the video run you can see Kunin take a terrible penalty shortly after this play

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kunin is looking very strong against that defender, stick is on the ice the whole time, open and free for a pass and gets two shots at the goal after it comes.

Considering putting 2Pair on ignore for pure trolling.

The communication may be terse, but it's not trolling to say that watching the game should be a part of analyzing the game.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
1. I already said that it was a HDSC
2. He swings and misses twice and barely touches it onto the pad of Grubauer
3. Kunin really did nothing to create this chance and did absolutely nothing to finish it
1. You said he shouldn't get credit for it even though he got a shot off from literally in the blue paint.
2. Sometimes all you need is a light touch to score a goal.
3. This is where you are 100% wrong. You think him positioning himself in front of the net and then WINNING the puck battle against the defender is doing nothing to create the chance. Greenway wasn't trying to pass the puck to Kunin. He was shooting. He didn't create the opportunity for Kunin. The chance was created because Kunin put himself in position to get the rebound off the pads.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
1. You said he shouldn't get credit for it even though he got a shot off from literally in the blue paint.
3. This is where you are 100% wrong. You think him positioning himself in front of the net and then WINNING the puck battle against the defender is doing nothing to create the chance. Greenway wasn't trying to pass the puck to Kunin. He was shooting. He didn't create the opportunity for Kunin. The chance was created because Kunin put himself in position to get the rebound off the pads.
I don't know what else to tell you if you think that Kunin won that battle. He had the puck at his feet and 3 feet from an empty net and missed it twice.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland

I would not bother, this is so basic stuff that this must be some frustrated person just pulling our leg.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
I don't know what else to tell you if you think that Kunin won that battle. He had the puck at his feet and 3 feet from an empty net and missed it twice.

He did not loose a battle, he won the battle and got two shots of, (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad