Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Quick question, does this paper transaction count against 4 player post deadline limit?

I don't think so, because the CBA states 40 days from the last day of the season. By my math, that makes it Tuesday, Feb 25th, one day after the deadline (by design it seems), so I think the 4 recalls you can do starts on Tuesday. This is my interpretation, I'm not a CBA expert per se, but I think that is correct.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I thought the limit was on post-TDL transactions.

I posted about this last night in this thread. 4 roster slots are available for loaning players to the AHL after the TDL. Petersen is going to occupy one slot by himself. So the Kings will only really have 3 slots. Vilardi, Luff and Grundstrom will probably share a slot. And Wagner and Lizotte will likely occupy the other two and only join the Reign for the playoffs. But all six players need to be on the AHL roster on the deadline date.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't think so, because the CBA states 40 days from the last day of the season. By my math, that makes it Tuesday, Feb 25th, one day after the deadline (by design it seems), so I think the 4 recalls you can do starts on Tuesday. This is my interpretation, I'm not a CBA expert per se, but I think that is correct.

I went back and looked again. It's the 40th day preceding the final day, so the 40th day at 3 PM EST is the trade deadline, Monday the 24th. So it's four recalls are allowed after that for the remainder of the season. Their is no roster limit in the NHL after that deadline, and no roster limit in the AHL at anytime.

During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that: (i)A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

Reactions: crassbonanza

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019

4 NHL roster slots must be shared by all the players who a team wants to remain eligible for AHL playoffs.

1. Wagner
Prokhorkin
Lizotte
Grundstrom
Vilardi
Luff
Petersen

Only four of them can be in the NHL at one time in order to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. Petersen isn’t going anywhere (except a paper loan to the AHL for one day). There is no limit on recalls. Just the number of slots.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I posted about this last night in this thread. 4 roster slots are available for loaning players to the AHL after the TDL. Petersen is going to occupy one slot by himself. So the Kings will only really have 3 slots. Vilardi, Luff and Grundstrom will probably share a slot.

Petersen should not be relevant here, nor Vilardi, as their recalls were before the trade deadline. You get 4 recalls after the trade deadline.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
4 NHL roster slots must be shared by all the players who a team wants to remain eligible for AHL playoffs.

1. Wagner
Prokhorkin
Lizotte
Grundstrom
Vilardi
Luff
Petersen

Only four of them can be in the NHL at one time in order to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. Petersen isn’t going anywhere (except a paper loan to the AHL for one day). There is no limit on recalls. Just the number of slots.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about recalls after the deadline, not AHL Calder Cup eligibility..........help me out here. I understand the need to be on the ONT roster at that date.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Then why does the CBA state this:

During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that: (i)A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Then why does the CBA state this:

It's my understanding that those 4 regular recalls apply to four roster slots that can be used regularly for players between the two leagues. I was wrong about Petersen, Lizotte and Prokhorkin filling those slots. They are eligible for the Calder Cup if they are papered down to the AHL on Feb 25. So only Vilardi, Luff, Grundstrom and one other player (Frk?) can be moved back and forth after the TDL. Frk is approaching 30 days in the NHL. So if he exceeds the 30 days, he would require waivers for the playoffs and I doubt the Kings would risk losing him.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: regulate

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agree with a lot of what you said, but I think you might be underselling Vilardi's 200 ft game a bit. Yes, he shines in the offensive zone, but he's definitely not one dimensional.

But like you said, I'm just happy we have both in our organization. They both should be really awesome players.

I think Turcotte's skating will allow him to use that more, though. Vilardi's got the brain, reach, and tenacity, but I don't think he'll be able to cover the ice the way Turcotte can and Kopitar does. But when did you ever see Jason Allison behind our net? They're both awesome, just different skillsets. Good thing to have.

If someone breathes at this kid wrong tonight I'm going to be mad.

Hoping for a good first game.

The thing is, the kid is pissier than he gets credit for. He sticks his nose in everything. It took a few games to come out in the AHL and it may in the NHL as well, but he's a "poke the bear" type player. He'll be physically engaged. Think of angry Kempe. Regular Vilardi is just under that.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I think Turcotte's skating will allow him to use that more, though. Vilardi's got the brain, reach, and tenacity, but I don't think he'll be able to cover the ice the way Turcotte can and Kopitar does. But when did you ever see Jason Allison behind our net? They're both awesome, just different skillsets. Good thing to have.

The thing is, the kid is pissier than he gets credit for. He sticks his nose in everything. It took a few games to come out in the AHL and it may in the NHL as well, but he's a "poke the bear" type player. He'll be physically engaged. Think of angry Kempe. Regular Vilardi is just under that.
Does he have the golden hair though?

In all seriousness I'm now gonna be on the edge of my seat all the time. Thanks, RJ.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
2 periods: 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 2 SOG, 10/13 on faceoffs (77%)

Petty me wants to go back to all the "yeah, but call me when he's on NHL ice" posters and call them out.

But I'd rather those folks just really really f*cking enjoy this and realize instead what kind of magic you were rooting against.
Settle down, Jesus...

629253.0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad