Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Settle down, Jesus...

629253.0.jpg

But his final statline was actually better ... :naughty: :D

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think the moral of the story is, it's okay to be optimistic or cautious, but it's silly to write off the career of an 18, 19, 20 year-old when you don't know the details.

That said, he came as advertised and I couldn't be happier for him.
Absolutely, I just don’t think we need the “neener neener” after one (albeit fantastic) game just like we won’t need a bunch of “I told you so” when he inevitably gets his first injury.

Amazing debut, hope he keeps killing it.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
One thing I really liked about the shot he scored on eve though it wasn't a super perfect shot was that it was all instinct.

From the second he gets on the ice he's senses a shot opportunity and chased it like a lion looking for dinner.

A goal like this show he knows where the net is and its always thinking about putting the puck into it.

That was a pure instinct shot/goal and its what this team has been missing for a long time. Even if he didn't score I love it.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Watched the game hoping for a helping hand from the Kings and got the added bonus of watching this kid's debut.

He's going to be a legit 1C. Great hands, terrific work rate, high IQ. You guys got a steal at #11.

When was the last time a King player made a blind pass resulting in a goal. I thought that thing was banned at Staples. :)

With some of the wingers in the pipeline the future (at least offensively) looks bright!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Absolutely, I just don’t think we need the “neener neener” after one (albeit fantastic) game just like we won’t need a bunch of “I told you so” when he inevitably gets his first injury.

Amazing debut, hope he keeps killing it.

I just don't equate saying that we can't talk him up as a future asset until he's actually on the ice--at any level--for a significant amount of time as actively "rooting against him".

I mean, seriously, who was rooting against him? Because I say he might need a backeyotomy in the midst of wondering what the hell is wrong with him means I want him to fail?

It's a weird flex for sure.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I just don't equate saying that we can't talk him up as a future asset until he's actually on the ice--at any level--for a significant amount of time as actively "rooting against him".

I mean, seriously, who was rooting against him? Because I say he might need a backeyotomy in the midst of wondering what the hell is wrong with him means I want him to fail?

It's a weird flex for sure.
Let’s not go around this one again guys (not specifically directed at you BK). He’s fit, he’s playing... as a King. It’s good news, let’s leave the rest behind.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Gone for 20min and I come back to this shit!!
Some of you guys need to stop with this BS, we're all Kings fans and we should all be enjoying that a big part of our Kings future looks like he'll have a very bright future..

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I could EASILY go back and dig up at least half a page of really damning, venomous posts. I can’t believe people are really pretending that never happened. But what’s the point? Like @Statto said I’d rather people just enjoy it. I was just pointing out that I hope the people that DID make those posts find it within themselves to enjoy him instead of coming here to complain when he’s not successful Enough like people still constantly do with Kopitar, the not-so-hidden inexplicable vendettas that find people saying “yeah well _____ will never ____” where the 2nd blank is just the next highest achievement that keeps getting shattered.

Kid is awesome as hoped and crushed it on NHL ice. That’s a big achievement in itself worth celebrating in this shit show of a season.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Strange. I just don't recall anyone hoping he never plays. Upset that he wasn't playing? Sure. Bummed about the pick since he had extreme injury issues and is supposed to be an important part of the future? Of course.

But to want him to fail? That seems excessive. It's cool though guys...I'll just take your word for it without anyone having to dig up posts.

I do feel that there is a thought process among the more optimistic on the Board that those that heavily criticize actively want the team to make huge mistakes all of the time so we can be "right". Like, I don't care for Rob Blake. He's the GM of my favorite team though so I want him to succeed, its just that I will be quick to point out deficiencies. I think it is silly to pencil in a future lineup that consists of the Kings current 1-12 ranked prospects because that never happens but I hope I am wrong and am rooting for that to happen v. wanting it to not happen so I can be "right".

If this rebuild somehow speeds up immensely and Kopitar is leading this team on a Cup run or deep in to the playoffs a couple of times, K17 will gladly eat crow on the whole Kopitar contract issue. I'll gladly sing Blake's praises if he pulls this off and will eat crow with everyone else that has been down on him.

Again, I'll take your guys' word on it but it seems ridiculous that any Kings fan would actively root against a kid having a hockey career and, ultimately, help the Kings win games.

Reactions: KINGS17

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Strange. I just don't recall anyone hoping he never plays. Upset that he wasn't playing? Sure. Bummed about the pick since he had extreme injury issues and is supposed to be an important part of the future? Of course.

But to want him to fail? That seems excessive. It's cool though guys...I'll just take your word for it without anyone having to dig up posts.

I do feel that there is a thought process among the more optimistic on the Board that those that heavily criticize actively want the team to make huge mistakes all of the time so we can be "right". Like, I don't care for Rob Blake. He's the GM of my favorite team though so I want him to succeed, its just that I will be quick to point out deficiencies. I think it is silly to pencil in a future lineup that consists of the Kings current 1-12 ranked prospects because that never happens but I hope I am wrong and am rooting for that to happen v. wanting it to not happen so I can be "right".

If this rebuild somehow speeds up immensely and Kopitar is leading this team on a Cup run or deep in to the playoffs a couple of times, K17 will gladly eat crow on the whole Kopitar contract issue. I'll gladly sing Blake's praises if he pulls this off and will eat crow with everyone else that has been down on him.

Again, I'll take your guys' word on it but it seems ridiculous that any Kings fan would actively root against a kid having a hockey career and, ultimately, help the Kings win games.

There was definitely a huge contingent on here who felt the need to tell the rest of us that he would never play again every time there was a positive update. It was pretty damn annoying because we couldn't even talk about him without the keyboard doctors explaining that he was done as a prospect and would never skate again.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There was definitely a huge contingent on here who felt the need to tell the rest of us that he would never play again every time there was a positive update. It was pretty damn annoying because we couldn't even talk about him without the keyboard doctors explaining that he was done as a prospect and would never skate again.

Totally know that was going on. Saying he isn't going to play again, however, does not mean they were rooting against him.

I understand if someone who remained adamant that he would play again wants to do a "told you so" to those that said he wouldn't: it's just more the idea of a told you so to people that actually wanted him to not play again v. believing he wouldn't play again because the former seems absolutely ridiculous for a Kings fan while the latter is typical of a fan base that has like four good years in its 50+ years of existence.

It's cool though. We can now return to our regularly scheduled j/o session about the most exciting thing that has happened this season.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Exactly, don't get it twisted. There were plenty of posts by people who where acting like know-it-alls. Look, if it doesn't apply to you, then the people "flexing" from last night shouldn't bother you. This is an internet message board. If a poster comes in here and talks down to other posters for having an opposite viewpoint with zero expertise to back that opinion other than reading tea leaves, people are gonna call you on your shit when the opposite of the prediction happens.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Nah, I want to see the posts where people were actively rooting for Vilardi to fail. Oh, but wait, that's right, they don't exist.

Give me posts that are realistic assessments for the future and what needs to be done in the present to create a better chance of contending again in the shortest period of time over the rah-rah stuff. Thanks.

I don't think the Kings will be legit contenders again over the duration of Kopitar's contract, but I hope I am wrong. Do any of the eternal optimists ever come in and say, "Yeah, looks like we should have traded Carter after Kopitar was re-signed." No, they don't. One in particular starts in with the "hindsight" BS, when in fact it was suggested a significant amount of time prior to it becoming self evident it would have been the correct course of action.

This I am a better Kings fan than you because I hope for the best, and you're too negative (i.e. realistic) is baloney.

BTW, Go Vilardi!!

Reactions: johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad