Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What's everyone's thoughts on Gabe and his 10 games played? I'm extremely impressed with him, and if he stays healthy he looks to be a franchise player. He made the most out of his limited minutes and to me looks like he'll be a ppg player for us.

I'll say that franchise player is a bit of a stretch for me at this point, mainly due to his skating, but he certainly looks like a 2nd line center and 1st unit PP QB at minimum. I've been extremely impressed with his play below the dots in both zones, and it's definitely clear that his hockey IQ is through the roof. However, his foot speed is average at best. I'm hoping that is more the fact that he's likely still not in "NHL shape" with respect to his aerobic capacity.

All that being said, great players like Tavares and Draisatl have overcome entering the NHL with lackluster foot speed, and I could absolutely see Vilardi doing so too and reaching the echelon of top 10 centermen. He knows the game that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Gursky

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
You can see why scouts were worried about his skating, but it doesnt impact the game he plays. He has elite puck protection and elite IQ and vision. He doesnt need to skate like Mcdavid to beat guys in close with either handling or body position. Put him with someone like Kaliyev who only need an inch of open space to get off a good shot and Vilardi will find him.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
With his latest assist on Frk that was the fastest I have ever seen him skate with the puck.

Take it for what its worth.

I do think he will become a first liner, not necessarily as center.

If he was fast, he would not have been available for us, look it from that perspective.
If he was fast 1OA for my money.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
What's everyone's thoughts on Gabe and his 10 games played? I'm extremely impressed with him, and if he stays healthy he looks to be a franchise player. He made the most out of his limited minutes and to me looks like he'll be a ppg player for us.

He has the most points by an LA Kings rookie in his first 10 games since Kopi. I think that it all right there. I don't know if he'll ever be a ppg player, but he not only has the the hands and the passing ability to play in the NHL, the most important part of his game is his brain. He's a smart player that knows when to make the right plays. But he's also got a game breaking skill set to be a first line center. If he wasn't hurt for as long as he was I think he's miles ahead of Turcotte in terms of potential. Its been a joy to watch him the past couple of weeks.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
He has the most points by an LA Kings rookie in his first 10 games since Kopi. I think that it all right there. I don't know if he'll ever be a ppg player, but he not only has the the hands and the passing ability to play in the NHL, the most important part of his game is his brain. He's a smart player that knows when to make the right plays. But he's also got a game breaking skill set to be a first line center. If he wasn't hurt for as long as he was I think he's miles ahead of Turcotte in terms of potential. Its been a joy to watch him the past couple of weeks.

This kid's got the goods. Think of how much training time and development he's missed over the last 2 seasons. Gets cleared to play in the AHL and excels. Gets called up and excels. It's not a fluke or hot streak. Everywhere he's been, he's been great. The fact that he doesn't need to step in and be depended on to be a first or even second line center is a great situation to be in for his continued development.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Lukeman

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The word on Vilardi is that he's a "Rinkrat"; a guy who's always at the rink, always playing, always practicing. Addicted to hockey.

The best players are like that. It's part of the reason I have such a high degree of confidence in him.

Not being able to play much hockey over the past few years must have been torture for him. Finally having a fully healthy offseason to work on his game should do a lot for him. Coming off his first real stint of pro hockey he'll know what he needs to work on.

If he could improve his defensive play and skating he'll be quite a player.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I think something that is not talked about much and that is very underrated about Vilardi is his wrist shot. All three of his Goals are wristers that beat the goalie. It's pretty deceptive and has a lot of pace to it. Lets hope he uses it on a more consistent basis then Kopi who has a tremendous wrist shot unfortunately he doesn't use it often.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think something that is not talked about much and that is very underrated about Vilardi is his wrist shot. All three of his Goals are wristers that beat the goalie. It's pretty deceptive and has a lot of pace to it. Lets hope he uses it on a more consistent basis then Kopi who has a tremendous wrist shot unfortunately he doesn't use it often.

Everytime Vilardi gets the puck at the half wall on the PP he curls TOWARDS the net and forces the opposition to either respect his shot and take it away or let him get one off uncontested.

Kopitar could learn from Gabe.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Gabe LOVES to change the angle of his shot. A slight tug or pull right before the shot can make just enough of a difference for the puck to beat the goalie. 100% agree with you. Very deceptive and solid shot.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The times he scored with that wrister in the OHL the announcers occasionally said; ''Well, folks, that is a NHL wrister.''

You could easily see his shot was terrific.

Kings need to keep Vilardi as a centerman. His vision and hockey sense are too great to waste on the wing.
Would obviously be the preference of us all but tell that to Jagr, Huberdeau etc. that their vision and sense were/are a waste on the wing.

Not too mention, Vilardi often starts the play from the wing.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Gabe LOVES to change the angle of his shot. A slight tug or pull right before the shot can make just enough of a difference for the puck to beat the goalie. 100% agree with you. Very deceptive and solid shot.
... and his release is quick. He doesn’t dwell on it, he moves as you suggest and ‘bam’, it’s a great combination of instinct and speed of thought. Regardless of how quickly his feet move his overall play is sharp, fast, direct and very deliberate.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
If he wasn't hurt for as long as he was I think he's miles ahead of Turcotte in terms of potential.

Do not underestimate Turcotte. He and Vilardi are centers with very different styles but both will be NHL studs. Turcotte's skating, shot and compete are all elite. He can make amazing plays going top speed--dangling, deking, passing, shooting. You will love him when you see him. He will be so much better with more polished talented players around him than this year at UW, plus he will excel in a system with all teammates on the same page.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Vilardi reminds me a bit of Getlaf. Wicked wrister and while not the fastest skater on the ice is able to think the game at a faster pace than most of the other skaters on the ice.

He knows when players will be open and can make subtle moves to hide his (short or long) passes.

Of course, like Getlaf minus the balding.

Last edited:

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Do not underestimate Turcotte. He and Vilardi are centers with very different styles but both will be NHL studs. Turcotte's skating, shot and compete are all elite. He can make amazing plays going top speed--dangling, deking, passing, shooting. You will love him when you see him. He will be so much better with more polished talented players around him than this year at UW, plus he will excel in a system with all teammates on the same page.

I'm curious what people think the potential of those two. Is it to borderline 1st line centers to very good 2nd line centers

Reactions: ricardfromage

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I'm curious what people think the potential of those two. Is it to borderline 1st line centers to very good 2nd line centers

IMO they both still have 1st line center potential. Not saying they're both going to end up being 1C's, just that they both still have that potential.

I know it's early, but Vilardi looks like he could hold down a 2C role right now as a 20 year old coming off over a year of missed time. So it's not crazy to think he could eventually end up being a pretty good 1C. He's still likely going to get better over the next couple seasons.

Turcotte had a somewhat disappointing season but he still absolutely has the potential to be a 1C. Chances are he'll end up being a really good 2C, but the potential is definitely still there to be more than just a very good 2nd line center.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
I think that the safe opinion at this point is that they both look to be capable of becoming 2A/1B NHLer's but they both certainly have the skills to become more. My best companion for Gabe is Jason Allison at the height of his career. Not quick but fast enough. Great center of gravity making him near impossible to knock off the puck when he bares down and an elite release. He has an extra gear only problem is that it is more of an overdrive than a go fast button. I like the kid a tonne. I think that ATurc is an all around like his comparison Johnathan Toews. Hope he turns out to be in the same category as him, that would be awesome.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I still feel the comparison to Toews for Turcotte is very apt. At his peak, he could be a very good 1B but is an otherwise very good 2nd line center. Won't consistently lead the team in scoring, but will consistently be near the top while contributing two-way play.

For Vilardi, he compares himself to Tavares, which I think is pretty appropriate for a stylistic and role standpoint. He may not be the 1C Tavares is, but he has the skillset to do so.

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
The word on Vilardi is that he's a "Rinkrat"; a guy who's always at the rink, always playing, always practicing. Addicted to hockey.

The best players are like that. It's part of the reason I have such a high degree of confidence in him.

Not being able to play much hockey over the past few years must have been torture for him. Finally having a fully healthy offseason to work on his game should do a lot for him. Coming off his first real stint of pro hockey he'll know what he needs to work on.

If he could improve his defensive play and skating he'll be quite a player.

I have heard that too. He was in Omaha for a tournament a few years ago (prior to draft) and he was the first guy on the ice in the AM both days I was there and the next kid who came out came out about 30 mins later. He was early for practice both days. Seems like that sort of guy.

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Gabe had such a great season especially when you consider that the Kings were close to giving up hope for this season coming together. I think that our gamble on drafting GV where we did is going to prove to be one heck of a solid decision when everything is said and done.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Gabe had such a great season especially when you consider that the Kings were close to giving up hope for this season coming together. I think that our gamble on drafting GV where we did is going to prove to be one heck of a solid decision when everything is said and done.
I don’t think the Kings were giving up hope. I remember Blake being very tight lipped about his progress (or lack of it). People seemed to read a lot into those comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad