Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I still think we need to get expiring contracts for extra picks or prospects to use the roster spots. There is a lot of teams against the cap and if the contract is done at the end of the year double win. The kids will all get a nice playoff run with the reign win win We would also gain a few lotto tickets win win win

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Something to remember is that an NHL-contracted player who is waiver exempt, must be on the roster of the AHL team at the trade deadline to qualify for eligibility in the AHL playoffs.

After the trade deadline, there are only four recall roster slots available to be used at any time for loaning players to the AHL.

Cal Petersen is going to solely occupy one of those slots in order to play for the Reign in the playoffs. So there won’t be another player rotating with Petersen between the NHL and AHL.

That leaves the Kings with choices to make between Wagner, Lizotte and Prokhorkin. Because one them won’t be eligible if Vilardi, Luff and Grundstrom share the lone remaining slot for callups.

I’m speculating that Prokhorkin won’t be asked to play in the AHL again even though he is still waiver exempt.

The only way to have Prokhorkin, Lizotte and Wagner eligible is to keep at least one of those three in the AHL at all times and use those three roster slots between them and Vilardi, Luff and Grundstrom. In other words, three roster slots interchangeable between six players.

There is no restriction on the number of recalls as long as when you recall one, you send one of the players using a slot down.

Who is going to backup Quick if Peterson is with the Reign for the playoffs?

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Who is going to backup Quick if Peterson is with the Reign for the playoffs?

My thought exactly... I could be 100% wrong but I don't really think the plan is for Petersen to be up and down from the NHL/AHL and with the Reign for the playoffs. I think he's up pretty much for good, and will finish the season with the Kings.

If they were counting on him to be playing in the AHL anymore at all they either A) wouldn't have traded Campbell until the offseason or B) would be looking to pick up a goalie off waivers or something (even if it's a terrible goalie like Hutchinson). Obviously they traded Campbell and I haven't heard anything about them even looking at possible back up goalies.

Also, pretty sure Lizotte, Wagner, and Pro aren't going to be with the Reign in the playoffs either?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Also, pretty sure Lizotte, Wagner, and Pro aren't going to be with the Reign in the playoffs either?

We don't know for sure, but they could play with the Reign IF the Kings choose to go that route since they are waiver exempt. You'll get your answer soon if you see those players demoted and recalled on a paper transaction at the deadline. To be eligible for the AHL playoffs, you must be on the AHL roster at the deadline. Kings do this every year. At least a couple guys get sent down on paper only for a day, at least in the years when the playoffs are a possibility. They are this season.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't want to put too much pressure on a rookie with a history of a bad back, but in my opinion, it's hard to understate how important Vilardi is to the success of the rebuild. He's the one guy with 1C potential and can fill the gaping hole in the Kings' lineup at 2C. If he succeeds, lots of things fall into place. If he doesn't the Kings will have no successor for Kopitar and have to wait for Turcotte as 2C, probably in two years.

Reactions: ibleedkings

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Probably the most highly touted Kings prospect to make his debut in 10+ years. Exciting times for sure.

Easily the most exciting prospect since Doughty. Schenn comes close, but he only got a cup of coffee to start the 2010 season, and then we traded him.

Oh man, I'm super excited. When was the last time I said that about the Kings?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don't want to put too much pressure on a rookie with a history of a bad back, but in my opinion, it's hard to understate how important Vilardi is to the success of the rebuild. He's the one guy with 1C potential and can fill the gaping hole in the Kings' lineup at 2C. If he succeeds, lots of things fall into place. If he doesn't the Kings will have no successor for Kopitar and have to wait for Turcotte as 2C, probably in two years.
The one guy?

Turcotte is the better prospect.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Man what a miraculous recovery story from Vilardi. I thought the kid was toast. Now he’s debuting in the NHL.

Cannot understate just how important he could be to the rebuild.

Reactions: lumbergh

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Vilardi accelerates everything if he can deliver on his potential. When you have a guy gone that long who comes back and performs at a high level rather quickly, it changes the entire dynamic.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad