Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Hello Michigan. Mississauga fan here just wanted to let you know that CJ Clarke was interviewed on Mississauga radio last week and the media guy was trying to get him to say how happy he was to be back in Mississauga rather than living in Flint. To his credit, CJ would not bite. He said nothing but good things about Flint and specifically praised the high school there. Just thought you should know what former players are actually saying.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Hello Michigan. Mississauga fan here just wanted to let you know that CJ Clarke was interviewed on Mississauga radio last week and the media guy was trying to get him to say how happy he was to be back in Mississauga rather than living in Flint. To his credit, CJ would not bite. He said nothing but good things about Flint and specifically praised the high school there. Just thought you should know what former players are actually saying.
Must be SSSOOOO bad even the players won’t say anything :speechles. Sounds like Clarke is a pro and hopefully things can be built with wellwood going forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The production everybody was expecting from CJ just wasn't happening this year or last in Flint. More than once though this year CJ was the first (sometimes the ONLY unfortunately) player to come to the defense of his teammates. There were a couple hits on Dellandrea and CJ was immediately there dropping the gloves. Which doesn't happen much anymore and I didn't really expect to see out of him but there he was, sticking up for his boys. It's good to see him get a chance to play and possibly finish his OHL career in Missy.

Reactions: MJ5 and Tarantula

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
Strange. This team has been improving every day since Wellwood took over.

Look at the stats before and after...PP not improved, PK still terrible...some wins do not mean that everything is going well. winning doesn't solve problems, they just sweep problems under the rug.

So how has he improved the team? Getting Morgan doesn't mean anything because he wanted out of Windsor because he couldn't hack it there. Don't pretend that the current players performance is because of Wellwood, most players on other rosters wouldn't be getting the ice times they are in Flint and they get plenty of it because of the lack of players playing.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Look at the stats before and after...PP not improved, PK still terrible...some wins do not mean that everything is going well. winning doesn't solve problems, they just sweep problems under the rug.

So how has he improved the team? Getting Morgan doesn't mean anything because he wanted out of Windsor because he couldn't hack it there. Don't pretend that the current players performance is because of Wellwood, most players on other rosters wouldn't be getting the ice times they are in Flint and they get plenty of it because of the lack of players playing.

If you can't tell this team has improved you know absolutely nothing about hockey. Which honestly doesn't shock me, I'm sure you just go to the game because your company pays for your tickets.

Never said anything was going "well", you sound so much like someone else on this board twisting words around.

Winning games does solve problems, we just haven't won enough to make the playoffs, and make everyone happy.

And if you want the PP and PK to improve let the man have a training camp and off season with them. Hard to implement a system when you start 2 months late. Took them 2 months just to figure out 5 on 5.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Really, this team will be vastly improved once they figure out how to make good use of the OA and Import spots. Koly is a start, but that still leaves 4 roster spots that they aren't getting full value from.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Really, this team will be vastly improved once they figure out how to make good use of the OA and Import spots. Koly is a start, but that still leaves 4 roster spots that they aren't getting full value from.

That's a huge point.

They have to add a good import player who will report.

OA's, Durham would be worth it. Phibbs, love the kid, love his ability and willingness to play where ever. But that spot could absolutely be improved.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Spots are going to be tight. Let's say they keep that 2nd line together and Durham is returned as an OA.
Import?-Dellandrea-Durham
Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Uba-Vierling-Roberts
Winterton-Harris-2019 1st?
Phibbs, Pierce, Holmes, 2019 2nd?

Kolyachonok-Busby
McCourt-OA?
Gretz-Bianconi
Deline-Bangs
2019 2nd?

Cavallin
OA?
There's all kinds of ways you can shuffle that and move the OA and Import spots around. I just don't wanna see any of those kids go the way of Duchesne and Littlejohn. If they DO manage to land Shane Wright, better make room in that Top 9 or even Top 6 for him.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Spots are going to be tight...
That's the problem. We need to get more players in here that are obvious "top of the lineup" guys. Right now we've got too many guys who you can't tell apart from one another. Too many guys who all perform at about the same level. Spots are only tight because at this point it's not obvious who you keep and who you trade or cut.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Wellwood has improved the team, but he is still 11-35-5 with the Firebirds. He started when we were 0-9. Just about anybody could have done better. Some of you are defending him like Kenny Holland defends the Detroit Red Wing’s Coach Blashill. Yes , Wellwood has improved the team since he was hired, but why not shoot for more of a top line OHL coach or at least someone with great OHL coaching experience.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Wellwood has improved the team, but he is still 11-35-5 with the Firebirds. Some of you are defending him like Kenny Holland defends the Detroit Red Wing’s Coach Blashill. Yes , Wellwood has improved the team since he was hired, but why not shoot for more of a top line OHL coach or at least someone with great OHL coaching experience.

He hasn't even been here a full season. This team isn't regressing, it's improving.

Let the guy have a rookie camp and training camp of his own.

Most people really think he has a very bright coaching future. I'd love to see him take a jump to another level after having success in Flint.

I'd love to know who you think should take over.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Things are going to change overnight. It takes time and a process. Think of it as the 0-9 start was the rock bottom. The team is slowly working its way up from that hole they dug. No coach is going to turn this around overnight. Not even Babcock, Bowman, Punch Imlach, Quinneville, Kennan, etc. If you believe they could, please send over the same stuff your smoking or drinking cause i want to try it out.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He hasn't even been here a full season. This team isn't regressing, it's improving.

Let the guy have a rookie camp and training camp of his own.

Most people really think he has a very bright coaching future. I'd love to see him take a jump to another level after having success in Flint.

I'd love to know who you think should take over.
Scotty Bowman lol

Reactions: Toldyaso

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Wellwood has improved the team, but he is still 11-35-5 with the Firebirds. He started when we were 0-9. Just about anybody could have done better. Some of you are defending him like Kenny Holland defends the Detroit Red Wing’s Coach Blashill. Yes , Wellwood has improved the team since he was hired, but why not shoot for more of a top line OHL coach or at least someone with great OHL coaching experience.
Blashill isn’t the problem with the Wings

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I don’t follow the OHL like I did the IHL , COHL/UHL so I do not know who all is out there and available. Todd Gill? Ted Nolan? Bob Brown? As for Blashill? He is a part of the problem in my opinion, but mostly Holland.

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
looking at the guys who return you are in the same situation as going into this year. A coach who was loyal to the returning players who are a majority of non impact players. Keppen and Durham are perfect examples, will never repeat the years they are currently having, lots of pucks just laying around and they are putting them in.. just not pure year in and year out production players. Do I think will be better next year yes.. however a 4th place finish in their division would be the best scenario.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
looking at the guys who return you are in the same situation as going into this year. A coach who was loyal to the returning players who are a majority of non impact players. Keppen and Durham are perfect examples, will never repeat the years they are currently having, lots of pucks just laying around and they are putting them in.. just not pure year in and year out production players. Do I think will be better next year yes.. however a 4th place finish in their division would be the best scenario.

You’re just being silly. Being able to return 8 - 2000 born followed by a group of 8 - 2001 born is a good thing, as evidenced by 7 out of the league’s 8 top teams having at least ten 19-20 yr olds.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Love these takes. A guy who has been too loyal. Please. We have no idea, he hasn't been here a full year yet!!!

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Your joking about Keppen right? second year 17 yr old player and he has peaked? let me put on some boots because something is getting deep. Someone left the bag of 1d10ts open.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Do not falsely claim you have inside information or a source without properly vetting it with a mod or an admin first.

From the hfboards forum rules:

"8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible."

Your posts will be deleted and action may be taken if you do.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad