Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EON

EON Moderator

2. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

Coldest temps in 30 years, Wednesday game, and the London Knights coming to town.

Schools are all closing for tomorrow again.

I'm guessing it will be a very small crowd tonight. Hoping I am wrong.

3. Purple Phart

Purple Phart Registered User

Isn't there a community in Michigan named "Hell" ? I highly suspect that
    even it's frozen over.

Toldyaso likes this.
  4. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

Attached Files:

5. Flint Hockey fan

Flint Hockey fan Registered User

Good game tonight! Stayed with the top team and worked hard all game!

Toldyaso, aresknights and Otto like this.
  6. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

Raaymakers made a few huge saves, he won that game for London. Not sure how he stopped 2 or 3 of those.

Boys played well for the most part.

7. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

Good game. Two really good goaltending performances. It's good to see them stick up for themselves and compete with the Knights. In the past they've straight up laid down in games. Little concerned about Pierce going down late and Keppen didn't look good either. I couldn't really see what happened to him. It can be said for a lot of the boys but Vierling is looking better and better all the time. A lot of superstar NHL drafted kids had less than Special 16yo rookie seasons in the O. He's going to be fine. Absolutely thrilled to see Wellwood pull the goalie and they actually score one and not allow an EN. That alone made my night. Good job boys, on to Saginaw who just got smacked by Guelph.

8. FirebirdsFan21

FirebirdsFan21 Registered User

Pierce had ice on arm when he came out. Keppen had a mark underneath his eye. Keppen looked okay though afterwards. Concerned about Pierce.

9. Firebrd828

Firebrd828 Registered User

It's nice to see this team being competitive on a nightly basis now. They played a good game against a tough opponent last night.

They were outscored 3-1 in the second period. I noticed that during that period, Wellwood flip-flopped Holmes and Keppen at LW on the 1st and 2nd lines. Neither line seemed to click as well, and they were switched back for the 3rd.

jprenkert likes this.
  10. Gensdef

Gensdef Registered User

Sit at the end of ice where Keppen incident happened. To me it looked like the guy basically body slammed Keppen to the ice. Then when linesmen got in he shoved the linesmen. Little suprised the London player didnt get more of a penalty. Basically thought team played pretty well against one of the top teams.

11. TcFlint

TcFlint Registered User

Teacher
    Only 472 in Owen Sound last night.

12. Gensdef

Gensdef Registered User

Flints posted attendance was 2085. Dont think there were that many, but for a wednesday night. Plus the weather though the crowd was ok

13. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
    Horrible weather, and a number of highways were closed in the area

three dog night likes this.
  14. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Blizzard like conditions

15. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

Noticed that too and was wondering why he would split Keppen-Morgan-Wismer up. I discussed the top line with another fan at the game and I'm sure he's got Holmes there to try and get him going but I'd still probably have Uba or Vierling there. Not complaining about Wellwood's choices though. Holmes is starting to look better there and I think Vierling's ability to distribute the puck should be able to net some offense with Uba's ability to finish if those lines are kept together.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  16. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

There's been a few incidents lately that have surprised me. No suspension for Staios cross-checking Keppen in the head (Hard) while he's skating by to celebrate a goal. I mean, they'll suspend a guy for hitting someone clean crossing center ice with their head down because he's defenseless or for blindsiding a guy. Well what's more defenseless than a guy skating by after a whistle? There was also an absolute textbook slew foot the other night (Sushko, Owen Sound?) that was called a trip and....nothing. I also thought last night Wellwood should have put a little more effort trying to get more than 0.5 seconds on the clock. A bit ran off after the whistle. Either get some time on the clock or pull Dellandrea from the circle and have a left handed shot just fire it at Raaymakers at the drop. Ty tried to win the face off and have Durham? get a shot off with only 0.5 left. Not gonna happen.

17. Firebrd828

It was Morgan (lefty shot) who Dellandrea was trying to get it back to. The referees tried sending Morgan to the bench...didn't realize that the goalie would have been pulled with 1/2 second on the clock, I guess...o_O

And...I agree about the (lack of) suspensions on some of those plays, especially for a league that will make you sit 5 games for flipping a puck over the boards to some fans!!!

18. Firebrd828

Curiosity just made me flip over to Hamilton's page to see what Jan Jenik is doing....

10 games....3g-5a-8pts...-10 +/-

Ho hum.......

19. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

It was Bouchard, always thought of him as a top notch player. Last night he was whining all night and his take down of Keppen looked dirty. Not sure how or why Keppen got a penalty out of that ordeal.

20. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

I think last night was one of the better Wednesday crowds Flint has had. I'm guessing everyone wanting to get out of the house helped that a little bit.

21. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

Thought exactly this. You needed someone to just try and slap a prayer at the goalie. No chance you were winning a faceoff and getting a shot off. Morgan probably should have taken the faceoff.

22. Firebrd828

That might have actually been what Wellwood wanted, but it might have been lost in the confusion of the refs trying to push Morgan off of the ice.

23. Firebrd828

BTW...I've been slow to warm up to him, so I should give credit where credit is due....Vierling's breakaway goal last night was beautiful!!!

Toldyaso likes this.
  24. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

First off, I wanted to point out that I'm just nitpicking Wellwood after the fact. I think some of the goaltending decisions have been questionable but I have been completely happy with him. More importantly I think the kids have been happy with him and playing for him. Right now my biggest concern with Wellwood is that he's coaching in the AHL in the very near future. Vierling was showing little effort and no production for a good stretch. He can skate, I think he'll start finishing more frequently soon (maybe this year, maybe next), he's been more apt to play along the boards and go to the dirty areas lately. Maybe he didn't have to do that much in Midget and is figuring it out. His vision and ability to distribute the puck is special though. I don't think anybody will be complaining next year and he'll have a huge following soon after that. I always think of Zach Gallant in Peterborough as a 16yo. Everybody was on him for being a top 5 pick that had 0g and 4 pts as a rookie. The next year he went off and was drafted by the Red Wings. Someone on the London board just posted about a few 16yo's not lighting it up in the past and the one that stood out there was 3g for Robert Thomas in his rookie season. I think Vierling is going to follow that path and the upward trend has already started.

25. MJ5

MJ5 Registered User

Savard and I were the first 2 bagging on him. His effort early was extremely poor. He didn't look like he belonged at all.

I'm not sure what happened or who flipped the switch on him. But from October to today, he's an entirely different player. Hes skating hard every shift, his vision is way better as well. Ive been impressed with him lately, he's showing why he was a first rounder.

419HockeyGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.