Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, but they went 2/2 on the PP and had 13 shots (5-3-5). That doesn't bode well for the next 9 games. What I can't believe is the season Michael DiPietro is having. There's a realistic chance he goes into the playoffs in his 19yo season as a back-up.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Yeah, but they went 2/2 on the PP and had 13 shots (5-3-5). That doesn't bode well for the next 9 games. What I can't believe is the season Michael DiPietro is having. There's a realistic chance he goes into the playoffs in his 19yo season as a back-up.

Egor Afanasyev
OTT 2 2019
LDN 2 2021
OTT 2 2022
OTT 2 2023
OTT 2 2021*
OTT 3 2021*
OTT 3 2022*

And the haul they gave up for a backup...........

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Tough game last night. No effort....
4 pt game in the possible Shane Wright sweepstakes coming up. Hope the boys and coaches get mentally prepared for Friday.

I still haven't heard word on whether or not Wright will get exceptional status.
Savoie also applied for WHL and there has never been 2 players granted exceptional status in same year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Prospect Pipeline has done a 2019 top 220 draft rankings list for the OHL. 10 of the top 31 have already declared for NCAA teams, but the top 4 have not, and any of the 4 would look great in a Flint jersey. This is their February list:

1). C. Shane Wright. 6-0. 168 lbs. (if granted exceptional status)
2). D. Brandt Clarke. 6-2. 185 lbs.
3). LW. Mason McTavish. 5-11. 191 lbs.
4). C. Connor Lockhart. 5-9. 165 lbs.
5-8). Have declared for the NCAA, doesn’t prevent them from being selected
9). LW. Brennan Orthmann. 6-0. 170 lbs.
10). C. Francesco Pinelli. 6-0. 177 lbs.

Thank you to Prospect Pipeline for this list. There is some incredible talent on this list. Personally, I would like to get another scorer.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Tough game last night. No effort....
4 pt game in the possible Shane Wright sweepstakes coming up. Hope the boys and coaches get mentally prepared for Friday.

I still haven't heard word on whether or not Wright will get exceptional status.
Savoie also applied for WHL and there has never been 2 players granted exceptional status in same year.
They do seem to come out flat more often when Cavallin is in net and make him look bad. 1st goal gets tipped 3 feet in front of him, one D doesn't cover the pass, the other doesn't pick up the guy driving the net. Sean Durzi on a breakaway. Koly rolls right across Cav's line of sight, screening him right as the shot is being taken. You could see Koly knew he screwed up. That last one though? It might seem like Cav blew that one, but that's totally on Hakon. He holds up and starts gliding, forcing Cavallin to play the puck then let's a Guelph forward get in between them who also had any up Ice pass covered. Instead of moving his feet to get back into an open position, he forces Cav into that pass. I can't believe they're still playing with 4 defenseman out. They have to be approaching a league record for man games lost.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
They do seem to come out flat more often when Cavallin is in net and make him look bad. 1st goal gets tipped 3 feet in front of him, one D doesn't cover the pass, the other doesn't pick up the guy driving the net. Sean Durzi on a breakaway. Koly rolls right across Cav's line of sight, screening him right as the shot is being taken. You could see Koly knew he screwed up. That last one though? It might seem like Cav blew that one, but that's totally on Hakon. He holds up and starts gliding, forcing Cavallin to play the puck then let's a Guelph forward get in between them who also had any up Ice pass covered. Instead of moving his feet to get back into an open position, he forces Cav into that pass. I can't believe they're still playing with 4 defenseman out. They have to be approaching a league record for man games lost.

Agree with you in Cav, not much he could do on the first 4. 5th one hes gotta get more on it.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
When players don't believe in a goalie it shows on the ice....if upper management and coach could only see the light, they would start looking for 2 new goalies for next season.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
When players don't believe in a goalie it shows on the ice....if upper management and coach could only see the light, they would start looking for 2 new goalies for next season.

They will have 1 new goalie, Vella won't be back.

Cavallin has had some games where he has been absolutely unbelievable. Last night wasn't his fault at all. He's young, learning consistency is key, but the effort in front of you has to be there as well.

Him and Vella are both better then their numbers, its more of an effort/lack of defensive focus/being worn out in the 3rd period that has really killed the numbers.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
This point has definite validity, look at the Wolves without Ukko. Totally different team.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I agree with some of the goals, but Cavs main challenge this year has been not being consistent. He’s been inconsistent this year and I agree management needs to see the light. I don’t see the same goalie as last year for whatever reason. I won’t even comment on Vella because, he will gone, but looking at next year and Flints future, they have their work cut out for them.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If you count how many goals Cavallin allows vs the number of defensive breakdowns that happen in front of him, it's not even close. It goes both ways and he knows he's gonna get shelled and back doored every time he hits the ice. It's not just that they give up 35-40-50 shots on a nightly basis, they give up grade A scoring chances by the boatload. He's been a bit inconsistent and has let in a few weak ones but the problem is the team in front of him more than it is Cavallin. They scored 1 last night. If Henrik Lundquist was in net, that would have been a L.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

From where I sit

Feb 24, 2019
I agree that Cav has been inconsistent at times but that can't be said for our defense. I don't think we have one defenseman any player in the league is wary of because of their physicality, meanness, or making opponents pay for going to the slot. I can't remember the last time I saw any defenseman on the team deliver an open ice body check. Defensively the Firebirds are consistently way too easy to play against.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
I agree that Cav has been inconsistent at times but that can't be said for our defense. I don't think we have one defenseman any player in the league is wary of because of their physicality, meanness, or making opponents pay for going to the slot. I can't remember the last time I saw any defenseman on the team deliver an open ice body check. Defensively the Firebirds are consistently way too easy to play against.
Cavallin has to be better mentally to handle these situations.

Lack of defensemen are the problem, only 4 for the last while. Yes, Bianconi and Bangs out just recently and Gretz has been out for a while but they have a player on a standard contract but only comes and goes when he pleases...it is an upper management problem yet again.........

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

The old days of the big bruising defense men like this are over. The NHL is moving towards more puck moving, mobile, offensive defense men and in turn the OHL are going to value those types of players to continue the pipeline to the NHL. Coupled with the new fight rules and increase in penalties for head hits (rightfully so) you get alot less of these types of players.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
They (the OHL/Rolf Nilsen) needs to make a commit to Wellwood. He was offered a contract only till the end of this season. Others on here have commented and are right that Wellwood will have other offers to advance his career. This franchise needs to make some commitments for the future whether it be in Flint or some other place. Installing Wi-Fi will not improve the on ice product, establishing long term coaching stability will.

Where did you go?? Love seeing your insights on matters

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Where did you go?? Love seeing your insights on matters

I'm still here. More and more are realizing that as long as the current management is still in command that there will be very little improvement occurring. This team needs nearly a complete overhaul starting from the top. You can't tell me that there isn't someone else out there who could have done a much better job than the current GM.

Keep Wellwood and his staff, if he wants the job or if another opportunity doesn't arise for him.

It would be a shame that after the horrid season that Flint fans have had to survive that they also end up settling for the second best draft pick who ends up deciding that he doesn't want to play in Flint.

Reactions: TcNorth

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...It would be a shame that after the horrid season that Flint fans have had to survive that they also end up settling for the second best draft pick who ends up deciding that he doesn't want to play in Flint.
The sad fact for Flint is that no matter where they end up, they will have to pick the highest ranked player that will agree to report to the team. It doesn't matter if they end up with the 1st, 2nd or 12th pick, if the highest ranked guy is someone who otherwise wouldn't be picked until late in the 1st round, that's who they have to go with. The one exception would be Shane Wright, who would have to agree to go to whomever picks him in order to be granted Exceptional Status.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad