Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I am more worried about management making sure whoever they pick will commit than whether the get Wright. We cant afford to have our high picks not report. Like Owen Powers and yes i know that could still work in our favor but maybe not.
Exactly!!!!!!

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I am more worried about management making sure whoever they pick will commit than whether they get Wright. We cant afford to have our high picks not report. Like Owen Powers and yes i know that could still work in our favor but maybe not.
Exactly. The reason Shane Wright is so important to the Firebirds is because he would have no choice but to report. Without the ability to select him, the 'Birds might find themselves in a situation where they have to pick the 22nd ranked player at #2 because numbers 2-21 have told them they won't report.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Exactly. The reason Shane Wright is so important to the Firebirds is because he would have no choice but to report. Without the ability to select him, the 'Birds might find themselves in a situation where they have to pick the 22nd ranked player at #2 because numbers 2-21 have told them they won't report.[/QU

What a sad situation, how much longer will this franchise be able to survive when they are confronted with top level talent not wanting to play in Flint?

This team needs more then a Shane Wright, two third's of this teams current roster probably wouldn't make the cut on the majority of other OHL teams, that's why you find them in the position that they are in.

Reactions: TcNorth

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
So here is what I think. The OHL should be making players report. This is a 20 team league and any player drafted should have to report to the team who drafted them. This in my opinion will make the league and any team better. Or draft them anyways, hold their rights like they would hold out on the team. These players, agents and parents need to suck it up and respect the draft process.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So here is what I think. The OHL should be making players report. This is a 20 team league and any player drafted should have to report to the team who drafted them. This in my opinion will make the league and any team better. Or draft them anyways, hold their rights like they would hold out on the team. These players, agents and parents need to suck it up and respect the draft process.
No chance that will ever happen - too many other options for players these days. Players play wherever they and their parents feel is best for the kid. If it was my kid I would pick the best option for my kid.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

You literally can't enforce that.

How about having some respect for a child and the decision he and his family make at a crucial time in their lives?

If the program isn't a complete mess then you really don't have to worry about large swaths of players not reporting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The kids are 15-16 when OHL teams are recruiting them, they should not be forced into anything. Changing draft rules concerning reporting would just make schools an even more attractive option causing the OHL to lose more talent.
The defect rule could set a team back a year; but it works, see the returns for OS & Petes as recent examples. In Flint’s case, it was the owner’s actions that cost them a high 1st that set the team back.
Anyways, I’m pretty certain Flint will get their choice of top ON born players at #2. Imo, Flint (roster plus picks) is in great shape for the next 3 seasons. That should help attract ON and US born players.

blkhawk

Nov 6, 2017
Can Flint not work on signing a guy before the draft if Wright is going to be first?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can Flint not work on signing a guy before the draft if Wright is going to be first?

Not officially. But teams have had discussions with kids they covet covering those rated in top 100 at least

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
Sean Day was a beast in AAA the year he went into the OHL.. He was thought to be on the same level as Mcdavid, scouts and fans were lined up all around youth hockey rinks to watch him play. He was a man among boys. Shane Wright is no Sean Day and Day did not have the same impact when he was in the O.. it's easy in AAA to beat up on weaker teams and run up the points.. look at Vierling perfect example of that. I have watched Wright and I would take a player like Jacob Perrault all day long and those type of players will not save Flint.. Grab a top end D man and move on, maybe Flint get's lucky and gets a Bode Wilde type of player. it always makes me laugh when they take a kid like Wright and hype him up like Mcdavid.. Cole Perfeeti will out play Wright all day long, and BTW Flint took Vierling over Perfetti:laugh:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sean Day was a beast in AAA the year he went into the OHL.. He was thought to be on the same level as Mcdavid, scouts and fans were lined up all around youth hockey rinks to watch him play. He was a man among boys. Shane Wright is no Sean Day and Day did not have the same impact when he was in the O.. it's easy in AAA to beat up on weaker teams and run up the points.. look at Vierling perfect example of that. I have watched Wright and I would take a player like Jacob Perrault all day long and those type of players will not save Flint.. Grab a top end D man and move on, maybe Flint get's lucky and gets a Bode Wilde type of player. it always makes me laugh when they take a kid like Wright and hype him up like Mcdavid.. Cole Perfeeti will out play Wright all day long, and BTW Flint took Vierling over Perfetti:laugh:

True, but not funny. Flint, Peterborough, & Erie all chose to pass on the defect option with Purfetti partly because he was good enough to play anywhere in the world he and his family wanted; and, partly because the draft was loaded. Vierling will likely prove to be better than the 5th pick this draft. Stranges is another, he could have gone the USNDT route.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

And Saginaw took Perfetti assuming he wasn't going to report and they would get a defect pick and/or picks in a trade and then they ended up selling him on the team and he reported. They gambled and won.

Peterborough took William Cuylle who wouldn't report either, got the defected pick and traded him to Windsor for 7 picks, 2 seconds, 3 thirds a conditional 2nd and a 5th.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not sure if you are a scout or not, but there are reasons Shane Wright is listed as the #1 top 15-16 year old coming into the 2019 Priority Draft by most top scouts. I seriously doubt you would have drafted Jacob Perrault all day long before you knew what he would do his first year in Sarnia, but maybe you would have.

Last edited:

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Not sure if you are a scout or not, but there are reasons Shane Wright is listed as the #1 top 15-16 year old coming into the 2019 Priority Draft by most top scouts. I seriously doubt you would have drafted Jacob Perrault all day long before you knew what he would do his first year in Sarnia.
Day has nothing to do with this. Lots of guys are unreal in minor hockey and it doesn’t translate to major junior. Because Day underperformed, that doesn’t mean that every player after him will underperform also.
Wright may or may not br worth a #1 pick, but no one knows that yet.

Reactions: Finster8

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
....and even Sean Day was a point a game D with a Memorial Cup ring when he was 19. The worst example of a kid who got exceptional status still turned out to have a pretty solid OHL career. People can point to Cole Perfetti but that's the same Saginaw scouting staff that took Brady Gilmour (13g as a 19yo right now) 6th overall and Blade Jenkins ahead of Ty Dellandrea and Nick Porco ahead of Ethan Keppen. If Branch doesn't step on Stefan and McParlan's toes they'll be fine. You can keep downplaying Vierling too. People won't be next year or the year after. The kid has the best vision on the team now, it just hasn't fully clicked because he's 16 and on a last place team. He'll WOW you once or twice a night recently with passes from 50 feet away in transition, right on a teammates tape. Wait until he's doing that 5-6 times a night with some kids that can actually finish. Let Roberts, Gretz, Bangs, Bianconi get healthy and the ENTIRE team other than Nilsen and Vella be a year older with a fresh start. They'll be fine.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
You can keep downplaying Vierling too. People won't be next year or the year after. The kid has the best vision on the team now, it just hasn't fully clicked because he's 16 and on a last place team. He'll WOW you once or twice a night recently with passes from 50 feet away in transition, right on a teammates tape. Wait until he's doing that 5-6 times a night with some kids that can actually finish. .

Vierling is a different kid after xmas. It clicked sometime in December, but if he has a good off season in the weight room, he is going to be lethal. The kid has shown a different gear lately, I've been extremely impressed with him after watching him have a rough couple months to start.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Vierling is a different kid after xmas. It clicked sometime in December, but if he has a good off season in the weight room, he is going to be lethal. The kid has shown a different gear lately, I've been extremely impressed with him after watching him have a rough couple months to start.
There was a lack of effort and just nothing coming out of the kid early in the year. Yes, things have changed. It's an extreme example but whenever fans start getting down on their 16yo 1st round picks, I always think of Zach Gallant in Peterborough a couple years ago. Drafted 5th overall, ZERO goals and 4 assists in his rookie year. Everybody was down on the kid. The next year he's netted 20+ and gets drafted by the Red Wings in the 3rd round. He's now wearing the C in Peterborough. Some kids peak and develop at different times and rates. If Cole Perfetti never manages to double his offensive numbers from this year, I won't be surprised. If Vierling manages to quadruple his numbers from this year, I won't be surprised. I actually expect to him to do that.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Have been thinking about next year and what the Firebirds could look like. Here is what I think. Opinions?

Bangs, RyanStill on the fence
Bianconi, MichaelY
Busby, DennisY
Cavallin, LukeY
Deline, TylerN
Dellandrea, TyY
Durham, JakeY
Gretz, MarcusY
Harris, KyleN
Holmes, HunterN
Keppen, EthanY
Kolyachonok, VladislavY
McCourt, RileyY
Morgan, CodyY
Phibbs, JackN
Pierce, EmmetN
Roberts, ConnorY
Uba, EricY
Vierling, EvanN
Winterton, JacobY
Wismer, JackY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wellwood, EricY
Branch, BarclayY
Findlay, Darcy Y
Rutledge, GarrettY
Stefan, Joe Y
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: TcNorth

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Have been thinking about next year and what the Firebirds could look like. Here is what I think. Opinions?

Bangs, RyanStill on the fence
Bianconi, MichaelY
Busby, DennisY
Cavallin, LukeY
Deline, TylerN
Dellandrea, TyY
Durham, JakeY
Gretz, MarcusY
Harris, KyleN
Holmes, HunterN
Keppen, EthanY
Kolyachonok, VladislavY
McCourt, RileyY
Morgan, CodyY
Phibbs, JackN
Pierce, EmmetN
Roberts, ConnorY
Uba, EricY
Vierling, EvanN
Winterton, JacobY
Wismer, JackY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wellwood, EricY
Branch, BarclayY
Findlay, Darcy Y
Rutledge, GarrettY
Stefan, Joe Y
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Get rid of Barclay. Also, they say 19 returning players. Vierling will be back. I also would say that Bangs and Deline (as an AP will be full time next year) like Euba from last year. Played a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad