Finnish police suspect Jori Lehtera connected to a cocaine distribution ring

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How could anyone that slow be an integral part of a drug ring in the first place?

No idea but perhaps Lehterä was wrong place in wrong time.
Police made those catches Lehterä's summer apartment this past summer.
Lehterä self didn't get arrested but he's still one of the suspects.

Reactions: MrThomas

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Why were the LA Kings able to terminate Mike Richards's contract because he was busted with Tylenols and Philly cannot terminate Lethera's contract after this acusations?

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
He can get off real easy with a plea bargain and lawyer. Trust me, if Finland is like Maryland, even a drug bust results in a slap on the wrist.
Drug related crimes are actually pretty harsh in Finland, if you kill or rape someone that's okay but if it's drugs or economical crime you're gonna have to sit some time.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Drug related crimes are actually pretty harsh in Finland, if you kill or rape someone that's okay but if it's drugs or economical crime you're gonna have to sit some time.
That depends on how good the prosecution is. Until the conviction is handed down, it's big talk to make people think they care before the Nolle Prosequi comes down a year later.
Poor dude should have immigrated to the states.

My mom had rented out a basement to a guy who got caught with drugs. No jail and just some probation(1 year, 6 months) in the state known as Maryland. Th no-knock search warrant left the house with plenty of damage.

Maryland Judiciary Case Search Disclaimer
Type in case number 133419C. That’s the guy who got busted and was barely punished.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Narcotics Offence" is the charge. This one:

Chapter 50 - Narcotics offences (1304/1993)

Section 1 – Narcotics offence (374/2008)

A person who unlawfully

(1) produces or attempts to produce a narcotic substance or cultivates or attempts to cultivate a coca plant, khat (Catha edulis) or Psilosybe mushrooms,
(2) cultivates or attempts to cultivate opium poppy, hemp or cactus plants containing mescaline for use as a narcotic substance or the raw material for a narcotic substance or for use in the production or manufacture of a narcotic substance,
(3) imports or attempts to import or exports or attempts to export a narcotic substance, or transports it or has it transported or attempts to transport or attempts to have it transported,
(4) sells, supplies, conveys or otherwise distributes or attempts to distribute a narcotic substance, or
(5) possesses or attempts to obtain a narcotic substance, shall be sentenced for a narcotics offence to a fine or to imprisonment for at most two years.

So Lehtera's not suspected of bankrolling the rink or suchlike, which would be under a different section.

The main culprits will be in the court first, Lehtera's turn will be later in January. According to the prosecutor Virtanen, the main culprits are the ones who had handled "considerable amounts" of substances. You can read e contrario that Lehtera hadn't.

Just guessing, but his cottage property having been a site where some of the apprehensions were made, and if there were found drugs that might have gotten him suspected of possession.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why were the LA Kings able to terminate Mike Richards's contract because he was busted with Tylenols and Philly cannot terminate Lethera's contract after this acusations?

Technically the actual description of the suspected charge isn't public yet, so they may not know enough to make a call. There's the innocent until proven guilty thingy too. Don't know Richard's case but Lehtera is pleading not guilty at this point. We may very well find out that he is.

And looking it up, Richards filed a grievance of the termination that got settled between the parties. Settling probably meant that Kings paid money. Philly would be wise to use caution, it will be only a couple of weeks until Lehtera goes to court. If he even has to go to court personally, they may opt to hear him through teleconnection to avoid having to pay his travel costs in case he's cleared.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I know he's a free agent after this year so it doesn't matter long term, but can the flyers get out of his cap hit before the deadline to give them some room?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
How true is this?

Depends. Usage alone isn't that heavily 'penalized' (I don't think it should be punished at all) but distribution, if it's considered major, can get you years. It's nothing compared to the States - no life sentences or double digit number of years, but some years nevertheless. Rape convictions vary, but if you ask any Finn, rapists get off way too easy. Most of the time you're talking about 1-3 years, and 5-10 years in very extreme cases where other crimes, like attempted murder is involved or there are multiple rapes with heavy violence involved. Manslaughter (or 2nd degree murder - I don't exactly know the American counterpart, so I'm not sure) gets you on average 9 years in Finland. Murder gets life sentence, which is on average is somewhere between 12 and 13 years.

If you're a first timer, you usually sit only half of your sentence (with the exception of life sentence).

Reactions: CrypTic

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Depends. Usage alone isn't that heavily 'penalized' (I don't think it should be punished at all) but distribution, if it's considered major, can get you years. It's nothing compared to the States - no life sentences or double digit number of years, but some years nevertheless. Rape convictions vary, but if you ask any Finn, rapists get off way too easy. Most of the time you're talking about 1-3 years, and 5-10 years in very extreme cases where other crimes, like attempted murder is involved or there are multiple rapes with heavy violence involved. Manslaughter (or 2nd degree murder - I don't exactly know the American counterpart, so I'm not sure) gets you on average 9 years in Finland. Murder gets life sentence, which is on average is somewhere between 12 and 13 years.

If you're a first timer, you usually sit only half of your sentence (with the exception of life sentence).
Wow. And do you guys have any data for repeat offenders, just curious if you would happen to know.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Wow. And do you guys have any data for repeat offenders, just curious if you would happen to know.

Repeating crimes usually don't result in harsher punishment. You just simply have to sit a longer portion of your sentence (ie. there are no 3 strikes that gets you life sentence or anything like that, or even harsher sentence). The justice system actually sometimes give 'discount' due to other crimes' time served, which is something I have never really understood and not a single Finn disagrees with me.

If you'd say criminals get away too easily in Finland, I would agree with you.

edit:

Missed a portion of your post. What do you mean repeat offender data? Statistics of how common it is for someone to stay on their criminal habits?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

Repeating crimes usually don't result in harsher punishment. You just simply have to sit a longer portion of your sentence (ie. there are no 3 strikes that gets you life sentence or anything like that, or even harsher sentence). The justice system actually sometimes give 'discount' due to other crimes' time served, which is something I have never really understood and not a single Finn disagrees with me.

If you'd say criminals get away too easily in Finland, I would agree with you.

edit:

Missed a portion of your post. What do you mean repeat offender data? Statistics of how common it is for someone to stay on their criminal habits?

Sorry, I completely answered your question wrong.

I found an article from 2015 that has some official statistics.

In 2015 from a 3-year tracking period 36,2% of former inmates committed new crimes that resulted in jail time. From a 5-year period 49,3% former inmates committed a crime that resulted in jail time. The article doesn't say what types of crimes were involved. I'm sure something is lost in translation since I'm extremely bad translating legal jargon. There are probably better and more in depth statistical data available. But to me, whatever we're doing, isn't completely working since those numbers seem pretty high to me.

Here's some more in depth official numbers but since it's in Finnish and google translator is broken, it most likely won't do you any good. Basically it says: a little less than a half of convicted criminals commit new crimes. But there's obviously more to it.

Reactions: CrypTic

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sorry, I completely answered your question wrong.

I found an article from 2015 that has some official statistics.

In 2015 from a 3-year tracking period 36,2% of former inmates committed new crimes that resulted in jail time. From a 5-year period 49,3% former inmates committed a crime that resulted in jail time. The article doesn't say what types of crimes were involved. I'm sure something is lost in translation since I'm extremely bad translating legal jargon. There are probably better and more in depth statistical data available. But to me, whatever we're doing, isn't completely working since those numbers seem pretty high to me.

Here's some more in depth official numbers but since it's in Finnish and google translator is broken, it most likely won't do you any good. Basically it says: a little less than a half of convicted criminals commit new crimes. But there's obviously more to it.

Interesting. I think you could make the argument that in the States we can go a bit overboard and we don't rehabilitate anyone, but based on what you are saying, it seems Finland does the opposite.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Interesting. I think you could make the argument that in the States we can go a bit overboard and we don't rehabilitate anyone, but based on what you are saying, it seems Finland does the opposite.

Something like that. If I remember correctly Norway has taken it even further I believe, with very humane incarceration conditions and lenient sentences.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So they found 2 kilos of really good cocaine at the Jori's summer house?
No, 2 kilos is the total amount for the whole ring of 22 suspects. By maths Jori's share is pitiful 100 or so grams.

Reactions: gumgum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad