Finnish police suspect Jori Lehtera connected to a cocaine distribution ring

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Repeating crimes usually don't result in harsher punishment. You just simply have to sit a longer portion of your sentence (ie. there are no 3 strikes that gets you life sentence or anything like that, or even harsher sentence). The justice system actually sometimes give 'discount' due to other crimes' time served, which is something I have never really understood and not a single Finn disagrees with me.

If you'd say criminals get away too easily in Finland, I would agree with you.

edit:

Missed a portion of your post. What do you mean repeat offender data? Statistics of how common it is for someone to stay on their criminal habits?

Well, I guess this is getting pretty off topic, but I'll go ahead anyway...

The thing is the point of the system isn't (or shouldn't be) so much "punishment" for the sake of punishment, but fixing damage where fixable and try to help people turn their life around. The effectiveness of a justice system (or prison system or whatever it's called on the whole) doesn't correlate with the harshness of sentences - quite the opposite actually.

I get your point and how it sometimes feels that people are getting off 'too easy', but I've also seen a young man who was in danger of getting into a prison cycle completely turn his life around after he got into a facility which was more designed for helping and rehibilating criminals rather than "punishing" them. His life was at a point where it was relief to everyone he went into prison, at least then you could know he was in relative safety. Had his last sentence been in a regular prison, I doubt he would've been able to turn his life around - that's the kind of environment that even if you want to change, it has a tendency to kill that off before you get to the first step.

Many people would probably feel he had it "too easy", but at least his parents, grand parents, sister, brother, son etc. got their beloved family member back after having some dark and painful years for everyone.

Of course there are also those dangerous people who plain and simple should be kept locked away for the safety of others. Sometimes the damage is just too deep or there never was a complete person there to begin with. Or they simply don't want help. But the more the people who really accept help can be helped, the better, and that doesn't happen by trying to satisfy the need for revenge in people.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah. One of my ex's oldest friends sold the stuff. So while we were dating it was always readily available, really high quality, and cheap...as buddy hooked us up ridiculously even when we weren't hanging out & just grabbed some to take back to the apartment. I'm not the biggest fan, but I saw a lot of it while over there...and 2 kilos is way beyond "personal-use" quantities :laugh:
True. But somehow I could imagine being an NHL guy that likes to party and having millions in the bank, why wouldn’t he just spend $50k to have a couple kilos in the freezer at the cottage ready to party with his buds at a moments notice and be good to go for like a year or two? The risk and trouble of dealing just wouldn’t make sense for someone with such a high earning capacity.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
True. But somehow I could imagine being an NHL guy that likes to party and having millions in the bank, why wouldn’t he just spend $50k to have a couple kilos in the freezer at the cottage ready to party with his buds at a moments notice and be good to go for like a year or two? The risk and trouble of dealing just wouldn’t make sense for someone with such a high earning capacity.
What about the risk and trouble of obtaining that 2kg stash?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I guess, and I’m sure with a pro athlete’s salary you could figure out how to store it for that long; but simply having that much on your property feels a lot riskier than simply keeping a day-one in the entourage to deals with that lol.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Aha! Now it all came clear to me! Why Finnish police made acquisition of 15 heavily armored police cars! They needed heavy materiel for raids to NHL players cottages. :sarcasm:

I don't believe that anyone could have 2 kilos of coca in his cottage him not being aware of that, and even that would be really the case, it doesn't matter. You can choose your "friends". For NHL millionaire such choices should be even easier than everyday random dude (addict or not), merely mandatory for preventing all kinds gold diggers emerging to vicinity and personal, private life.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I guess, and I’m sure with a pro athlete’s salary you could figure out how to store it for that long; but simply having that much on your property feels a lot riskier than simply keeping a day-one in the entourage to deals with that lol.
Good point. That would be kinda risky for a few reasons :sarcasm:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Goddamnit guys! The 2 kilos is the amount for the whole ring, where some completely other people than Jori are the head honcho.

The police didn't find that amount on Jori himself, or, god forbid, in him.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
He makes millions a year yet still wants to do something that can cost him his freedom for an extremely long time assuming this is true.

I will never understand.

Thrillhouse man.

Plus you're often less scrutinised as a high profile. I know how that sounds what I mean is you get away with a lot.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
After the Go-Go's had their first hit song, Belinda Carlisle said she bought a shoe box full of cocaine for her personal use. I don't know if that is two kilos, but the point is that if a person has a lot of money and a major addiction the personal stash may be huge.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thrillhouse man.

Plus you're often less scrutinised as a high profile. I know how that sounds what I mean is you get away with a lot.

It's Finland in this case. You can get away with wrecking your yacht on the rocks while drunk or decades of alcohol abuse if you're a touring music artist, but getting once caught playing with cocaine or crystal meth will make headlines news out of you for the folks to be shocked over while they're emptying their daily tap-carton of wine or the twelve-box of beer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
After the Go-Go's had their first hit song, Belinda Carlisle said she bought a shoe box full of cocaine for her personal use. I don't know if that is two kilos, but the point is that if a person has a lot of money and a major addiction the personal stash may be huge.

Tom wopat admitted last year he buys cocaine in large quantities for personal use

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
77230D27-F087-4E51-B187-250091EE9479.gif

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So the charge goes that last summer Lehtera bought* ca. 8 grams of cocaine. The prosecutor is seeking for five months, which length allows it to be served on probation if the judges so will.

The drug ring was reportedly using the lockers in Kaupinoja sauna & hole-in-the-ice swimming facility for distribution purposes.

(* but the very next day he was already caught)

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So the charge goes that last summer Lehtera bought* ca. 8 grams of cocaine. The prosecutor is seeking for five months, which length allows it to be served on probation if the judges so will.

The drug ring was reportedly using the lockers in Kaupinoja sauna & hole-in-the-ice swimming facility for distribution purposes.

(* but the very next day he was already caught)

He's not going to get hard time for that. Five months with no priors is no doubt going to be served on probation.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He's not going to get hard time for that. Five months with no priors is no doubt going to be served on probation.
Yes, it's very probable, if the prosecutor even manages to get a conviction at all. But if convicted, there's the implications on his SPC.

I was in a hurry to report because it's the modern attention economy days and everything, but at the same time found my head void of all the correct legal terminology to I couldn't manage to elaborate on it.

Lehtera has been summoned to appear in court on Jan 8th, and the judge says in the paper than if needed they'll get international aid to make that happen, but that can also mean that he will attend through telecommunications from his local courthouse in Philly or wherever.

Reactions: Plural

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's Finland in this case. You can get away with wrecking your yacht on the rocks while drunk or decades of alcohol abuse if you're a touring music artist, but getting once caught playing with cocaine or crystal meth will make headlines news out of you for the folks to be shocked over while they're emptying their daily tap-carton of wine or the twelve-box of beer.

It's also the police. The best strategy to prevent narcotic use is high profile convictions. They target high profile people in these situations.

Reactions: Lempo

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It's also the police. The best strategy to prevent narcotic use is high profile convictions. They target high profile people in these situations.
If anything I’d think that makes the drugs look cooler. At least in the US, of course idk Finland

Id only see that being otherwise noteworthy to people who are already against drugs in the first place. Famous people getting in trouble for weed didn’t make it less popular

—————————-
Could the drug rules be harsher than other crimes there because of some EU thing? (Based on someone’s comment pages back) Like with borders as they are crime rings span Europe no? So uniform harsh rules because bigger countries pressure for it?
Random question I know

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Most of the risk is during the transaction. 1 transaction is alot less risky than ~50 or however many times he’d be ‘picking up’ to cover that same 2 kg. So yeah, it’s big risk, but only once.
Yup. The only deals that have them more concerned than usual are the massive like 100 shipments. Why try to keep track of every minor deal when you can take them picking up their supply

There’s so many small deals, there’s about the same chance of being arrested picking up a couple kilos as a couple grams *if you’re not doing so regularly (and being discreet). Still worse punishment in that small chance, but can understand why that risk would seem worth it.

Personally I hope he gets off. Idc about the users so much as the peddlers, if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad