Final four all star vote results announced

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Did anyone else notice that on the mobile app you at least seemed to be able to submit as many ballots as you wanted per day? If you just kept going to the last man tab on menu it just kept letting you choose a guy and at least said you were submitting ballots... :huh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Agreed here. The issue isn't so much that Draisaitl is in over Giordano, because Draisaitl is deserving of being there (as is Monahan for that matter). The issue is that Pavelski (58th in league scoring) is there when there were already two Sharks on the team. If they had Kopitar in for Pavelski, then Giordano likely is on the team in Doughty's spot. Or conversely, Monahan in for Pavelski.

I understand them wanting at least 2 home team players, but there shouldn't be 3 unless it was an obvious pick (i.e. if this game was played in Calgary, I could understand Monahan (tied for 10th), Gaudreau (tied for 3rd) and Giordano (3rd in defensive scoring) making it).

Keller..... Unfortunately, they had to take someone from Arizona.

Pavelski is 9th in goals and he is the captain of the team that is hosting the event, it’s really not that big of a deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That is more like biting the atomic bomb. I do agree though, something has to be done with Lucic after this season.

Considering everyone on here wants multiple firsts, massive retention, or Bouchard and Puljujarvi to take Lucic back and wants to send their own dumps too, it might be the only course of action.

Honestly with the opportunities Lucic has gotten and the absolute nothing he’s done with them I could live with the dead cap space.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I love how you only decided to respond to that one specific part of the post because it shows how much better Gaudreau and Monahan are 3v3 than McDavid and Draisaitl.

Bravo.
it's a ~40 minute sample over the last two seasons. honestly, you shouldn't even be thinking about corsi or xgf% for a sample like that. McDavid is the best player on earth, and Drai is top 10 in scoring and they have terrific chemistry together. Just enjoy the show

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would stab a man for prime Kunitz.

Well, let’s put it this way.

If Crosby/Malkin/Staal roughly equate to McDavid/Drai/RNH (Pens trio is better but I digress) the 08-09 Pens had 7 other forwards besides those three with 10+ goals - Sykora, Fedotenko, Satan, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Talbot. Not including Kunitz with 7 goals in 20 games.

The 18-19 Oilers are on pace to have 2 other forwards score 10 or more over 82 games - Alex Chiasson and Jesse Puljujarvi.

Yes, our wingers really are that bad and useless. Most of them couldn’t put the puck in the ocean if they were standing on the beach.

It's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing, though. Were the Pens wingers able to score 10+ goals because they're better than the Oilers' wingers? Or were they able to score 10+ goals because they played with Crosby and Malkin, which the Oilers' wingers (for the most part) don't have the luxury of doing with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Or in other words, how many of those Pens wingers who were semi-productive still have scored those amounts if they were centered by Max Talbot or Craig Adams all year, and never got shifts with Sid or Geno? How many of the Oilers wingers who are on pace for less than 10+ goals would actually score above that if they got regular shifts with McDavid or Draisaitl instead of Brodziak or Strome/Spooner?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't take the time to vote. The vast majority of Flames fans did not wan't Giordano to attend after being snubbed initially, and I can almost guarantee you that Giordano himself would prefer not to go as well. A weeks worth of rest will be far more beneficial than pretending to try in a game of pond hockey.

The All star game is a joke, and is meaningless in every single way.

It's better for young guys like Draisaitl to attend these events anyways. Hope he enjoys his time there.

I hate Gio less than any other Flame. He deserves to be there and if it wasn’t in San Jose he’d be there over Burns.

But yes, he is 35 and the last thing the Flames need is him being injured playing glorified pickup hockey. He gets the rest he needs to help the Flames go on a deep run. Drai gets the recognition he deserves and Oiler fans get a distraction from another wasted season from the Pringles mascot masquerading as our GM. Everyone wins.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
it's a ~40 minute sample over the last two seasons. honestly, you shouldn't even be thinking about corsi or xgf% for a sample like that. McDavid is the best player on earth, and Drai is top 10 in scoring and they have terrific chemistry together. Just enjoy the show

A 40 minute sample you chose. Not my fault I proved Gaudreau and Monahan were still much better over that sample :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
both are All-Star worthy

Oilers fans voted Drai in

Flames fan didn't vote Gio in
Maybe Flames fans didn't vote Gio in because we felt it was more important for Gio to have a 9 day rest/vacation in preparation for the last two months of the season and the start of the playoffs instead of wasting 4 days traveling and staying in a hotel room in Anaheim? Oiler fans and Draisaitl really don't have to worry about that do they?
The NHL All Star game is a marketing gimmick by and for the NHL and more and more elite players prefer not to attend.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hard to watch the show when his eyes will be filled with salty tears cause Monahan isn’t there.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pavelski is 9th in goals and he is the captain of the team that is hosting the event, it’s really not that big of a deal.

I didn't think of the captain angle. That's a good point. Reality is with something like this there is always going to be someone left out that probably doesn't deserve to be. The reward for them though is that they get to take a bit of a vacation mid-season which is a pretty decent consolation prize with how busy the schedules are nowadays.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing, though. Were the Pens wingers able to score 10+ goals because they're better than the Oilers' wingers? Or were they able to score 10+ goals because they played with Crosby and Malkin, which the Oilers' wingers (for the most part) don't have the luxury of doing with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Or in other words, how many of those Pens wingers who were semi-productive still have scored those amounts if they were centered by Max Talbot or Craig Adams all year, and never got shifts with Sid or Geno? How many of the Oilers wingers who are on pace for less than 10+ goals would actually score above that if they got regular shifts with McDavid or Draisaitl instead of Brodziak or Strome/Spooner?

We’re talking 5 forwards vs 10, possibly 11 with Kunitz. There simply isn’t enough ice to have that argument hold water. I’m sure a couple got a boost from playing with Crosby/Malkin but the only guy that’s really taken any kind of opportunity given is Chiasson. Puljujarvi has been playing with RNH mostly. Khaira has been OK too he just can’t score. Everyone else has been trash.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maybe Flames fans didn't vote Gio in because we felt it was more important for Gio to have a 9 day rest/vacation in preparation for the last two months of the season and the start of the playoffs instead of wasting 4 days traveling and staying in a hotel room in Anaheim? Oiler fans and Draisaitl really don't have to worry about that do they?
The NHL All Star game is a marketing gimmick by and for the NHL and more and more elite players prefer not to attend.
ya sure they did

what a stretch

Reactions: Del Preston

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We’re talking 5 forwards vs 10, possibly 11 with Kunitz. There simply isn’t enough ice to have that argument hold water. I’m sure a couple got a boost from playing with Crosby/Malkin but the only guy that’s really taken any kind of opportunity given is Chiasson. Puljujarvi has been playing with RNH mostly. Khaira has been OK too he just can’t score. Everyone else has been trash.

What happened to Lucic? Is it effort level? Because even if he's "regressed", you'd think that means he goes from being a 50+ point winger to a 40 point winger, or a 20+ goal scorer to a 10-15 goal scorer. Instead, he's got like 1 goal.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It's a game where players are willingly getting suspended to not go.

Who cares, good for Drai for getting in.

Exactly. ASG is a thing for the fans and nothing more. No one really wins from this except us as fans watching it. So as long as the players showcase themselves well and have fun, then it's a win-win. If it was Giordano or Monahan, good for them too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What happened to Lucic? Is it effort level? Because even if he's "regressed", you'd think that means he goes from being a 50+ point winger to a 40 point winger, or a 20+ goal scorer to a 10-15 goal scorer. Instead, he's got like 1 goal.

I wish I could tell you.

Last year his effort was miserable when he went cold. This year the effort is adequate but it’s like he’s the dwarf who Thanos turned his hands to steel. He can’t finish anything. He can’t make or take a pass. Everything he touches turns to shit. He just needs to go.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Not sure how thrilled a veteran like Letang is about his inclusion but for younger or 1st time allstars i'm sure they're stoked.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
ya sure they did

what a stretch
Well I know that was my reason for not voting.
Being well rested and playing for the Stanley Cup trumps an All Star nomination every time.
Plus Giordano will likely also win the Norris this year... Again, Norris win trumps an All Star nomination every time.

But hey... I understand why having Draisaitl nominated is so important to Oiler fans. Its been a tough and disappointing year so far for the team and its fans. I'm really glad you guys have something to cheer about. Congrats.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Being well rested and playing for the Stanley Cup trumps an All Star nomination every time.
Plus Giordano will likely also win the Norris this year... again... Norris win trumps an All Star nomination every time.

But hey... I understand why having Draisaitl nominated is so important to Oiler fans. Its been a tough and disappointing year so far for the team and its fans. I'm really glad you guys have something to cheer about. Congrats.
If no Flames fan wanted Gio to play in the ASG... Why are 90% of Flames fans in this thread crying that Drai made it over him?

Do you see where us Oiler fans are confused by the coginitive dissonance being exhibited by our southern neighbours?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Plus Giordano will likely also win the Norris this year... again... Norris win trumps an All Star nomination every time.
huh?

yup...[mod] lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad