Proposal: Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok, you've never watched him play.

Ok, you've never watched Rnh play. Am I doing this right? As a winger Rnh puts up similar numbers to Forsberg. But he can also play center, plays on the pk, works well with multiple centers or plays center himself...
Ooops I missed the laughing emojis. Next time

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What would Nashville be willing to add in a deal revolving around Filip Forsberg for Darnell Nurse?

This under the assumption Nurse is worth more than Forsberg, but I would like to see how Nashville posters see it?
Ok. Just stop now. You held it together for a bit. Hit the ditch with the “you’ll have to prove me wrong” and by offering Nurse, you’ve thrown your enterprise off a cliff. Nope. I like Forsberg but HARD no. Unless he plays goal, he shouldn’t be our target anyway.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
How many times are those players playing for Hynes? The Nashville system of defense first second and last? The dump and chase without the chase system?
Sometimes it's not actually bs, look at Roslovic, Winnipeg fans were yelling from the rooftops that he's being blocked by their top 6 guys and if you give him the chance he'll be a stand out player.

If you don't want to give anything up for him we'll be fine just keeping him. I strongly suggest you watch him play though, he can control the game when he's on and he's above average defensively.

Yah I have watched him play. He is very good. But as many Oilers fans have stated in this thread.... We dont need scoring or a winger. We are 2nd in scoring in the league. If we are giving up prime assets it will be to address the long term goaltending situation.
Also you are correct, it is not always BS. Just usually, and why would a team trading for him count on a big jump in production from a player that is 26 which is not old but is certainly established. off the top of my head I dont recall a big % of players that have been "held down" by their team making a big jump when moved. (Drouin is a prime example) If a player is not getting playing time because he is down the depth chart that may be different. I doubt Nashville is under playing Forsberg though. Of course there are examples that go the other way but I dont recall too many

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I really like Forsberg and do see him as close to a top 10 winger in the game. The Oilers would be fortunate to land a player like him but I would not give up the farm for a guy with only 1.5 years remaining on his contract.

I offered Bouchard + 1st but got laughed at. I would not add a Holloway or Broberg to that package, maybe add a 2nd. I don’t feel Nuge is that far behind a Forsberg and we know he gels with the team and with McDavid. We simply don’t have the cap space to sign both of them. With today’s cap constraints and flat cap, it sure many teams would be offering ELCs players who are worthy of an NHL spot.

It’s very likely he extends in Nashville or alternatively Nashville will keep him until next years trade deadline then hope for a bidding war. Maybe by next years trade deadline all teams will have a more positive economic outlook.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Because RNH is a pending UFA perhaps?

As is Forsberg shortly.... He has an extra year but I am not downgrading position and versatility and giving up a prospect of Holloway calibre for one year. One would assume that if a team traded for Rnh they would want to talk extension first which would be reasonable. Also as repeatedly stated we dont need scoring or a winger. This whole concept of a deal is flawed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
As is Forsberg shortly.... He has an extra year but I am not downgrading position and versatility and giving up a prospect of Holloway calibre for one year. One would assume that if a team traded for Rnh they would want to talk extension first which would be reasonable. Also as repeatedly stated we dont need scoring or a winger. This whole concept of a deal is flawed.
Not close to being the same thing. By this logic Nurse is almost a pending UFA too. We cant expect a seller like NSH to trade its best forward for a pending UFA and not have a 1st attached. Even if RNH extends he would be making 7M+ ..
But as you said this whole thing is pointless. We could use an upgrade over Kahun but its not that urgent

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I really like Forsberg and do see him as close to a top 10 winger in the game. The Oilers would be fortunate to land a player like him but I would not give up the farm for a guy with only 1.5 years remaining on his contract.

I offered Bouchard + 1st but got laughed at. I would not add a Holloway or Broberg to that package, maybe add a 2nd. I don’t feel Nuge is that far behind a Forsberg and we know he gels with the team and with McDavid. We simply don’t have the cap space to sign both of them. With today’s cap constraints and flat cap, it sure many teams would be offering ELCs players who are worthy of an NHL spot.

It’s very likely he extends in Nashville or alternatively Nashville will keep him until next years trade deadline then hope for a bidding war. Maybe by next years trade deadline all teams will have a more positive economic outlook.

Why would you do that? We dont need a winger.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Not close to being the same thing. By this logic Nurse is almost a pending UFA too. We cant expect a seller like NSH to trade its best forward for a pending UFA and not have a 1st attached. Even if RNH extends he would be making 7M+ ..
But as you said this whole thing is pointless. We could use an upgrade over Kahun but its not that urgent

In the flat cap world a team can not trade for luxuries.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Do you not know who Forsberg is? If you have the cap space you trade Holloway ++ for him in a heartbeat

Of course I know who Forsberg is . Do you not know Edmonton situation ? McDavid and Draisaitl are making 21 million , Nurse will soon be making 7 million , Yamamoto will need a new contract soon enough enough as well as Bouchard . Edmonton needs those ELC deals snd a few real good deals . This isn't about Forsbergs value its about Edmonton managing their cap better and keeping their home grown players who are more likely to take a hometown discount .

Fans see one thing but in a cap world you have to plan for years down the road .

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

In the flat cap world a team can not trade for luxuries.
If EDM wants to contend this year then adding a top 6 LW is more than just a luxury.
Kahun scored 2 goals last game so bad timing but him and Ennis flipping in an out of top 6 isnt ideal. I would take Granlund, Jarnkrok or Arvidsson in our top 6 over either Ennis or Kahun.
Forsberg is the luxury we cant afford.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Nugent-Hopkins is an offensive dynamo, don't you know? He's not just riding shotgun at all. It's not like his center outscores him substantially or anything

So if I am reading this correctly you are saying if Forsberg was on McDavid's line that McD wouldnt outscore Forsberg by a bunch? Interesting theory.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If EDM wants to contend this year then adding a top 6 LW is more than just a luxury.
Kahun scored 2 goals last game so bad timing but him and Ennis flipping in an out of top 6 isnt ideal. I would take Granlund, Jarnkrok or Arvidsson in our top 6 over either Ennis or Kahun.
Forsberg is the luxury we cant afford.

No. Just stop already. The Oilers are 2nd in league scoring. So you are saying they cant win unless they are 1st in the league. What is this nonsense? I would take a lot of players over Ennis or Kahun in the top 6 but at what cost in assets and cap space? And why try to fix what isnt broken? Sorry man but you are out to lunch on this subject. Upgrading the 2nd line winger is a foolish luxury. Nothing more.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Whats the difference in being 5th from last or last in the league? If Poile is going to rebuild which he should, there is little reason not to sell off Forsberg. This team will not be competitive for 4 or 5 years as it stands now. Honestly do you think Forsberg will resign after 22-23 in his prime with a team that will have little chance of making the playoffs much less competing for a Cup? Poile should get his highest return before that happens remember Ryan Suter??? Who walked.... The same can be said for Josi who is 30 now he will never see a Cup competitive team in Nashville before his decline.

Now that said there is nothing in the Oliers organization that interests me in moving either To Edmonton. McDavid and Drisital are untouchable the rest are Mehhhh yes including RNH who would just be another bloated contract with Johansen and Duchene. The young guys are unimpressive and before the Oil fans start pumping them ask yourself why you would want to trade two of them and a pick for Forsberg. The answer is obvious they are just not that good.

Try reading all the postings . 99% of Oilers fans don't want to trade any of Bouchard , Broberg , Holloway or Samorukov . If you are saying Holloway isn't that good then it is obvious you are pulling stuff out of your ass . Maybe read what the experts say about him , maybe try watching him . Oilers fans were pissed at the pick those fans have change their toon base on his play .

The dark highlighted show you know little about the Oilers . Oliers ? Drisital ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No. Just stop already. The Oilers are 2nd in league scoring. So you are saying they cant win unless they are 1st in the league. What is this nonsense? I would take a lot of players over Ennis or Kahun in the top 6 but at what cost in assets and cap space? And why try to fix what isnt broken? Sorry man but you are out to lunch on this subject. Upgrading the 2nd line winger is a foolish luxury. Nothing more.

This is correct . The Oilers need to improve their D and that starts with a goalie , Maybe they add a better 3rd line C or the give McLeod a try as he about ready .

If anything needs to be done to the top 6 drop RNH back down with Draisaitl and Yamamoto and find a cheap Maroon type of player for McDavid and a 3rd line of

Holloway McLeod Kassian would be a fast hard checking 3rd line that would be a handful for any team .

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Strawman argument for the winnnnn!!!!!

You are talking potential versus known commodity. Forsberg is 26. Forsberg is a great talent. His production is artificially lowered by playing for a team with a weak top 6 and PP. It has been that way pretty much his whole career. So yes, hopefully Poile would want a prospect that has the potential of somewhat/closely replacing Forsberg's talent and production, and also grab a mid-late 1st for the risk of trading a known young commodity for an unknown.
I was just about to comment this same thing. We’ve seen it tons of times over the years where a “sure thing” fizzles out and never reaches that level. We’re trading away a player that we know is great for a player that were hoping will be just as great down the line. There’s always risk with that and the extra first/prospect mitigates it

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Since he became a full time player

63 point pace
64 point pace
58 point pace
78 point pace
64 point pace
62 point pace
77 point pace

.792 PPG, which is a 65 point pace over 82 games.

Seems pretty accurate to call him a 65 point winger.

LOL at the point pace . until he hit those numbers he has done it . Players go into slumps . Last year Neal took off out of the gates like a number 1 winger and was on pace for 50+ goals . I guess we should have traded him and called him a 50 goal man .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You can tell real quick in these Forsberg threads who has actually watched him consistently throughout his career versus those who pull up his stats on hockeydb.

Again as I said it isn't about Forsberg value . He a great player and is worth a lot in a trade . This is about the Oilers and where they are at as a team . Also Edmonton has had a hard time over the years of signing UFAs unless they over pay . Forsberg is unlikely to re-sign in a year and 1/2 . It is not worth giving up Holloway and Bouchard for that . On top of that Edmonton would have to send a cap dump back to make the cap work . Neal ? well no one id taking Neal unless there is something added . a 1st ? So Edmonton guts what little good prospect they have coming and weakens their already weak D for a winger . It just not worth it . Plus we need better 2 way players , Holloway fits our needs to a T .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yah I have watched him play. He is very good. But as many Oilers fans have stated in this thread.... We dont need scoring or a winger. We are 2nd in scoring in the league. If we are giving up prime assets it will be to address the long term goaltending situation.
Also you are correct, it is not always BS. Just usually, and why would a team trading for him count on a big jump in production from a player that is 26 which is not old but is certainly established. off the top of my head I dont recall a big % of players that have been "held down" by their team making a big jump when moved. (Drouin is a prime example) If a player is not getting playing time because he is down the depth chart that may be different. I doubt Nashville is under playing Forsberg though. Of course there are examples that go the other way but I dont recall too many

I agree with everything but the highlighted . Maroon made a big jump . McDavid can make a difference . I still wouldn't trade for Forsberg . The cost is just too high and rightfully so for Nashville to demand a high return . It just won't be Edmonton paying their price .

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I have to say, this is akin to Nieuwendyk for Iginla, in my mind. The question then becomes if Nashville thinks that highly of Holloway, and if Edmonton is close enough to a contender to be worth giving up a prime asset like Holloway.

IMO, the first question is a "maybe", but the second one is a no. Having a cost-controlled, high-end kid next season would be better than having another high-end forward. EDM should also use cap space for goaltending and defense, at this point.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
So if I am reading this correctly you are saying if Forsberg was on McDavid's line that McD wouldnt outscore Forsberg by a bunch? Interesting theory.

Definitely, that's exactly what I was saying, well done. You mentioned they have similar numbers, well here are some other numbers for you: Forsberg has more points than any two other Preds forwards COMBINED. Hopkins has TWENTY fewer points than the dude who centers him.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Of course I know who Forsberg is . Do you not know Edmonton situation ? McDavid and Draisaitl are making 21 million , Nurse will soon be making 7 million , Yamamoto will need a new contract soon enough enough as well as Bouchard . Edmonton needs those ELC deals snd a few real good deals . This isn't about Forsbergs value its about Edmonton managing their cap better and keeping their home grown players who are more likely to take a hometown discount .

Fans see one thing but in a cap world you have to plan for years down the road .
I think you have a lot more space to work with than you make it out to be, Larsson is probably gone and Barrie can only really stay if Klef doesn't return again. Don't see RNH asking for much more than 8M and you can probably bridge Yamamoto for similar to the Kapanen. Promote some of your rookie defensemen and that should leave you with around 4M and only missing a backup. This is assuming Seattle takes Jones too

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Forsberg is a great player, would be scary next to McDavid and is definitely worth a 1st + a top prospect (1st + Holloway/Bouchard, maybe add a depth placeholder in the mix) but I believe some NSH fans have crazy expectations about the return of their players. You cannot argue Ekholm Forsberg Josi Ellis Arvidsson are all elite while you lose so many games. They are very good players, they are not even close to McDavid / Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad