Proposal: Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What's Edmonton's needs? In my limited views of them this year they need depth scoring more than an elite winger.
They have been rotating Kahun and Ennis on Draisaitl's wing so could certainly use an upgrade there.
Kahun just scored a couple goals last night so no much desperation yet. Oilers depth is winning them games so its not an issue.

2LW or 3C are the only spots worth upgrading up front. #2LD upgrade would provide the biggest boost .

Ledge And Dairy

He is doing a hell of a lot better than Zegras did in his freshman year of NCAA hockey in his D+1 year. Holloway doesn't even play with Cole Caufield, he plays with his brother.

I wouldn't be too quick to discount Holloway as a lower caliber prospect than Zegras, he is a freshman whose pts/game are in a different stratosphere right now compared to every other NCAA prospect, including Zegras last year

Draft year doesn't matter for NCAA, Holloway isn't a freshman he is a sophomore, and both prospects are the same age.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Draft year doesn't matter for NCAA, Holloway isn't a freshman he is a sophomore, and both prospects are the same age.
Oh yeah thats my bad.

Granted I do think development is better analyzed using D-1, D, D+1, etc because you can compare years of development and play. Just birthdays isn't particularly useful because a guy could be nearly a year older but have the same amount of seasons played.

Ledge And Dairy

Oh yeah thats my bad.

Granted I do think development is better analyzed using D-1, D, D+1, etc because you can compare years of development and play. Just birthdays isn't particularly useful because a guy could be nearly a year older but have the same amount of seasons played.
Draft year is important for leagues like AHL and up but not for things like NCAA. Both players have played against the exact same age groups their entier career so far. Up until this year at least where Zegras will now be playing in the NHL. Zegras was clearly one of the most Dominant players at WJC and I would not be surprised if he was lighting up NCAA again if he went back

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah thats my bad.

A better comparable to Holloway is Kyle Connor. A bluechip prospect who tore the NCAA in D+1. The question here is, do you trade a prospect like that for 1.5 years of Forsberg? An immediate impact or like Connor and Forsberg who made impact in their 2nd year of ELC?

Reactions: Boondock

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
A better comparable to Holloway is Kyle Connor. A bluechip prospect who tore the NCAA in D+1. The question here is, do you trade a prospect like that for 1.5 years of Forsberg?

It's also important to note that Kyle Connor and Forsberg didn't make an impact until year 2 of their ELC. That's very valuable to any contending team
I wouldn't deal Holloway for Forsberg simply because Forsberg isn't a need for the Oilers. A high end defenseman/goalie you could justify since those are holes being filled.

Ideally Holloway comes in and contributes on his ELC for cheap.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers should be targeting goaltending and perhaps a 3C, not a top 6 guy like Filip Forsberg. Sign Nuge and forget about trading for a guy like this.
Exactly. Ekholm is actually more enticing for the Oilers than Forsberg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Worth noting some Dylan Holloway intangibles as a prospect. He is a heavy hitter and outstanding skater, not only in a straight line.

A bona fide beast at forechecking and backchecking, he wins battles because of his skating and positioning.

Ryan Kesler like checking. His ability to check agitates players because because they can't make plays when he is hounding them. Doesn't take many penalties but will draw a bunch.

He brings offense and defense.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
One is a sophomore the other was a freshman, it isn't hard
Sophomore is meaningless term. Brogan Rafferty was 22 as a sophomore.
In the hockeyworld we use draft year, draft year +1, draft year +2. Players get compared to others in their draft class.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oilers prospects are blue chips

Until they start playing for the oilers

Yamamoto had a bigger impact than anyone expected. Puljujarvi is finally looking the part and is absolutely showing to be a solid top 6 winger. Bouchard isn’t disappointing anyone. Holland is taking the slow approach with Broberg still and Holloway is looking good in the NCAA. There’s zero reason for us to not be optimistic

Reactions: BudBundy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A better comparable to Holloway is Kyle Connor. A bluechip prospect who tore the NCAA in D+1. The question here is, do you trade a prospect like that for 1.5 years of Forsberg? An immediate impact or like Connor and Forsberg who made impact in their 2nd year of ELC?

three years of Holloway on an ELC would be pretty damned valuable to this team. I'd be much more likely to trade unknowns like this year's first, or one of Broberg/Samorukov.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers fan saying no to the proposal. We need cheap, cost controlled wingers who can make a long term impact. Forsberg is good but is expensive and will be even more expensive when he hits UFA. Hard to guarantee he’ll want to stick around unless we pay up. And if we wanted to pay up for a star winger we might as well throw our hats into the Taylor Hall sweepstakes, he’ll be expensive too but we don’t lose Holloway in a signing.

Reactions: BudBundy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's an interesting deal. I think Holloway will be ready as soon as next fall. I don't know what he will end up being, but if I had to guess he will be a top 6 player with 1st line wing/#2C upside. If i was EDM I'd hold onto him, of for nothing more than salary purposes in the future. Getting Forsberg would make them a better team, but by no means a Cup contender, IMO.

For NSH, Holloway can be a C, and would , together with Tomasino, make for a bright future up front. I would insist on another draft pick in the deal, though.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
In the same year Holloway played in the AJHL? Im not really understanding how the USDP has any relation here besides it being one of the top American junior hockey leagues
Look People start school at different ages in different countries, so draft season is used to standardize it whether you like it or not. Zegras is 2019 draft class Holloway is 2020 draft class.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Jesus Christ man are people overvaluing Forsberg here, the guy has 1 season where he was above a 65 point season pace and people are thinking a 65 point winger is all of a sudden going to get a fore sure #1 centre prospect? I know Preds fans he was basically a gift but if you think he is the gift that keeps on giving better then you need to give your head a shake. Come trade deadline next year he is getting you b level prospect, a lower first round pick, and maybe another low first or second round picks.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Jesus Christ man are people overvaluing Forsberg here, the guy has 1 season where he was above a 65 point season pace

Since he became a full time player

63 point pace
64 point pace
58 point pace
78 point pace
64 point pace
62 point pace
77 point pace

.792 PPG, which is a 65 point pace over 82 games.

Seems pretty accurate to call him a 65 point winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad