Proposal: Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers

TK

Feb 26, 2019
AKL you’re so right and I stand by you with this comment...

but next time I add Kerfoot into a trade to even out contracts can you remember that you said this ;)

Well, he did specifically say expiring contract, that definitely does not apply to Kerfoot.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
What are you talking about? They both started College at the same same because they are the same age. The only reason Holloway was in the 2020 draft class is because his birthday was 8 days after the cutoff for 2019. Every year up until now they have played against the exact same age groups of players, that has only changed because Zegras is in the NHL. He hasn't had any extra year of development like you keep trying to say.
I won't argue which player is better/more valuable, but your premise has holes. Zegras is a March birthday and Holloway is a September birthday. Based on this, if they were playing at the same levels up to this point, it is a statistical likelihood that Zegras received far greater development opportunities. There are a number of studies on relative age effect, and the theory posits that the advantage compounds over time with the older players being more physically developed, resulting in them excelling over younger players in that group, and in turn getting more opportunities and support from coaches, parents, and others. Those opportunities increase their development curve.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers for Dylan Holloway + Alex Chiasson

- Filip Forsberg @ 6 M this season and next to the Edmonton Oilers for Dylan Holloway and Alex Chiasson @ 2.15 M for this season only.

- Chiasson or equivalent must be included from Edmonton because they will have to clear a lot of cap to make this work and you only get a prospect like Holloway if you take an Oiler cap dump.

- take into account Forsberg is a 6 M cap hit and signed until 2021-22, then becomes UFA, which doesn't guarantee he signs an extension. Holloway, a 2020 US college draftee, has yet to sign his ELC, which he should do immediately after the Wisconsin season is finished because he has dominated at the NCAA level and has nothing to gain by spending another year in that league. He will be a cost controlled asset for years to come.

- If you don't know who Dylan Holloway is then you better find out because this is a tremendous young player.
Oilers have to put in more. Players like Forsberg generally get a first, plus a solid prospect

Reactions: Tmart335

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
LOL... US College hockey has evolved and so much more developed than 30+ years ago.

If you are only pointing out pts/gp as an argument because someone indicated Holoway could be breaking records then fine.... but if you are trying to use these numbers to mark Holloway's value then you are way out to lunch.

If you are only trying to point out to p/gp then look no further than in 1992/93, when Paul Kariya had 100p in 39gp (2.56 p/gp)... as a freshman. Strangely enough, he only achieved 24p in 12gp as a sophmore (2p/gp)... but in all honesty NCAA Hockey is way more competitive now vs. then.

EDIT: Here you go Dave Rost for Army scored 108 points in 29 games for Army in 1976/77... thats 3.72p/gp .... never drafted.

I looked at the WCHA records for 1977-78. The second place Badgers (28-12-3) and fifth place Colorado College (18-22-1) both made it to the Frozen Four (which was really like a Frozen Six that year). BU (30-2-0) beat BC (24-10-0) for the NCAA Men's Hockey title.

LOL... yourself. The WCHA must have been a bear of a conference that season. Denver (33-6-1) was #1 in the WCHA, Michigan Tech (25-14-1) was #3 and Minnesota was #4 at (22-14-2).

The Badgers have six NCAA titles over four decades, including 1977 (the year before). Minnesota has five, including 1979, the year after.

BTW, Holloway isn't the statistically best scorer on the Badgers this season. Cole Caulfield has 19 G and 20 A, Linus Weissbach has 11 G and 20 A, Dylan Holloway has 10 G and 21 A. The Badgers have 3 more games to play before Big 1o Tournament, assuming no more COVID-19 on the team.

Elite Prospects - NCAA Division I (NCAA)

2020-21 Men's Hockey Schedule | Wisconsin Badgers

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I looked at the WCHA records for 1977-78. The second place Badgers (28-12-3) and fifth place Colorado College (18-22-1) both made it to the Frozen Four (which was really like a Frozen Six that year). BU (30-2-0) beat BC (24-10-0) for the NCAA Men's Hockey title.

LOL... yourself. The WCHA must have been a bear of a conference that season. Denver (33-6-1) was #1 in the WCHA, Michigan Tech (25-14-1) was #3 and Minnesota was #4 at (22-14-2).

The Badgers have six NCAA titles over four decades, including 1977 (the year before). Minnesota has five, including 1979, the year after.

BTW, Holloway isn't the statistically best scorer on the Badgers this season. Cole Caulfield has 19 G and 20 A, Linus Weissbach has 11 G and 20 A, Dylan Holloway has 10 G and 21 A. The Badgers have 3 more games to play before Big 1o Tournament, assuming no more COVID-19 on the team.

Huh? You are debating about teams/conferences... maybe you misinterpreted my argument.... I am saying that US College Hockey as a whole has evolved significantly since the 70s/80s and to use players stats from back then to evaluate players of today is a flawed approach.

On your second point, Holloway (1.82) has outproduced Caufield (1.56) and Weissbach (1.24) in points per gp. Can't disadvantage Hollway for the fact he was fortunate enough to play in the WJC for Canada, but had to take more time away from his college team to do so.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Huh? You are debating about teams/conferences... maybe you misinterpreted my argument.... I am saying that US College Hockey as a whole has evolved significantly since the 70s/80s and to use players stats from back then to evaluate players of today is a flawed approach.

On your second point, Holloway (1.82) has outproduced Caufield (1.56) and Weissbach (1.24) in points per gp. Can't disadvantage Hollway for the fact he was fortunate enough to play in the WJC for Canada, but had to take more time away from his college team to do so.

Update: Cole Caulfield had a Hat Trick against OSU yesterday. Weissbach had 4 assists. Their linemate, Ty Pelton-Byce, had 2 goals. Holloway had 1 G and 1 A.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Oilers are not trading Holloway. He is gonna be a forcheking ppg Machine.
Another oilers prospect doing good in the minors. Let’s wait on the lofty expectations considering how 99% of the oilers prospects have been doing.
Forsberg has another year after this year. He will get more than just a late first and a b prospect

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Update: Cole Caulfield had a Hat Trick against OSU yesterday. Weissbach had 4 assists. Their linemate, Ty Pelton-Byce, had 2 goals. Holloway had 1 G and 1 A.
So what you’re saying is Caufield has similar production to Holloway despite Caufield playing with much better teammates ?

Reactions: zar

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I have to say, this is akin to Nieuwendyk for Iginla, in my mind. The question then becomes if Nashville thinks that highly of Holloway, and if Edmonton is close enough to a contender to be worth giving up a prime asset like Holloway.

IMO, the first question is a "maybe", but the second one is a no. Having a cost-controlled, high-end kid next season would be better than having another high-end forward. EDM should also use cap space for goaltending and defense, at this point.
That trade would just not happen in this flat cap environment

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

:thumbu:...and Holoway is still significantly outproducing them on the season based on p/gp, all while playing with inferior linemates. :laugh:

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Holloway missed lots of games due to quarantine for Team Canada + WJC.

He has the best PPG on the Badgers and he’s their most complete player. He’s a two way beast, not to mention multi point games in 13 of his last 14.

The season he’s having is nothing short of sensational production at the NCAA level while still a teenager.

33 points in 18 games is ridiculous especially considering all the other things he does well away from the puck, on the forecheck, faceoffs, etc.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
As an Oil fan I wouldn’t trade Holloway for him but if I’m a Preds fan that’s who I ask for.

Reactions: 780il

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As an Oil fan I wouldn’t trade Holloway for him but if I’m a Preds fan that’s who I ask for.
Trading Holloway makes very little sense right now. They're going to want an ELC or two coming in over the next 2 seasons so that they can go out and spend some money to upgrade on D and in net. They really shouldn't be looking to upgrade on the wing right now. Nuge, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi are looking like quality long-term options on wing in the top 6. Holloway gives them some more flexibility being able to break him in at 3C or on the wing in the top 6 if he shows he's ready next year or the year after.

To me Holloway and Bouchard are the Oilers most untouchable prospects right now and should only be moved in the absolute perfect scenario for the team, which at this point isn't Forsberg.

Reactions: 780il

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Trading Holloway makes very little sense right now. They're going to want an ELC or two coming in over the next 2 seasons so that they can go out and spend some money to upgrade on D and in net. They really shouldn't be looking to upgrade on the wing right now. Nuge, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi are looking like quality long-term options on wing in the top 6. Holloway gives them some more flexibility being able to break him in at 3C or on the wing in the top 6 if he shows he's ready next year or the year after.

To me Holloway and Bouchard are the Oilers most untouchable prospects right now and should only be moved in the absolute perfect scenario for the team, which at this point isn't Forsberg.
If we were trading Nuge with a year left on his contract we wouldn’t accept a late first and some meh prospect. Don’t see why Nashville would.
Like I said it’s not a price I would pay but that’s the price If I was Nashville I’d be trying to get from one of the teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad