Proposal: Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers for Dylan Holloway + Alex Chiasson

- Filip Forsberg @ 6 M this season and next to the Edmonton Oilers for Dylan Holloway and Alex Chiasson @ 2.15 M for this season only.

- Chiasson or equivalent must be included from Edmonton because they will have to clear a lot of cap to make this work and you only get a prospect like Holloway if you take an Oiler cap dump.

- take into account Forsberg is a 6 M cap hit and signed until 2021-22, then becomes UFA, which doesn't guarantee he signs an extension. Holloway, a 2020 US college draftee, has yet to sign his ELC, which he should do immediately after the Wisconsin season is finished because he has dominated at the NCAA level and has nothing to gain by spending another year in that league. He will be a cost controlled asset for years to come.

- If you don't know who Dylan Holloway is then you better find out because this is a tremendous young player.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Unless "tremendous young player" translates to "blue-chip future #1C", this isn't going to work.

Obviously Forsberg is a valuable piece and face of the franchise at forward (Josi the only player more important on that team), but what caliber of prospect would you say fits your criteria if Holloway doesn’t?

Are you looking for a Zegras level talent (which I don’t think Holloway is far from)?

I don’t think a team with that caliber prospect would move it for a year and a half of Forsberg. 1 1/2 years of a 1st line winger is not worth a blue chip future 1C (and I’ll go on record as an Oil fan that I wouldn’t do this deal because I think Holloway is a stud prospect).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Obviously Forsberg is a valuable piece and face of the franchise at forward (Josi the only player more important on that team), but what caliber of prospect would you say fits your criteria if Holloway doesn’t?

Are you looking for a Zegras level talent (which I don’t think Holloway is far from)?
If we're only getting the one future asset and have to take on a cap dump? Yeah, I'd say that's the sort of thing we're going for in a Forsberg trade. He may not be untouchable, but that doesn't mean the cost is going to be trivial.

I don't actually know Holloway well enough to know if he qualifies or not; that's why I responded with a description of what we'd need rather than just saying "he's not good enough".

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Unless "tremendous young player" translates to "blue-chip future #1C", this isn't going to work.
Many envision Holloway as a future power forward that is near NHL ready with speed to spare and as a future linemate for Connor McDavid.

I envision Filip Forsberg as a linemate for Connor McDavid as soon as the NHL's quarantine period can be passed if this deal comes to fruition.

Holloway is a center dominating the NCAA. Expect the majority of Oiler fans to reject this deal outright but I think it is a good deal for both clubs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Many envision Holloway as a future power forward that is near NHL ready with speed to spare and as a future linemate for Connor McDavid.

I envision Filip Forsberg as a linemate for Connor McDavid as soon as the NHL's quarantine period can be passed if this deal comes to fruition.

Holloway is a center dominating the NCAA. Expect the majority of Oiler fans to reject this deal outright but I think it is a good deal for both clubs.
That sounds nice, but that still doesn't tell me enough w/r/t whether or not he has the right kind of upside.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That sounds nice, but that still doesn't tell me enough w/r/t whether or not he has the right kind of upside.
Holloway is an absolute beast of a player and is tearing apart the NCAA. I gave you my opinion... wait for others to chime in that have seen him play.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think FF9 is hugely underrated around here on the basis of his point totals being suppressed on the Preds (but they are still pretty damn good). He's a star, all-around first line wing and would get a lot more shine (not to mention goals) on a different team, in a different system and where he doesn't have to be the go-to guy because his teammates are either always hurt or are flakey and not consistent. Imagine him with a star center...scary.

That said, the OP at least gets credit for offering a really terrific prospect who is trending in the right direction. Holloway is getting a lot of praise and pub and deservedly so, for a great season. That said, Forsberg is the Preds' franchise forward and it's not close. Is Holloway+salary trash enough for them to deal the one constant threat in their offense who is still young enough to be a key piece moving forward? I really think if the Preds do something like this they might as well burn the whole thing to down and start over.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we're only getting the one future asset and have to take on a cap dump? Yeah, I'd say that's the sort of thing we're going for in a Forsberg trade. He may not be untouchable, but that doesn't mean the cost is going to be trivial.

I don't actually know Holloway well enough to know if he qualifies or not; that's why I responded with a description of what we'd need rather than just saying "he's not good enough".

To say nothing of the value of the deal, Chiasson is an expiring contract to make the money work this season and not be a burden for Nashville's future. Those kinds of pieces are quite common in these type of deals, and they don't entitle you to a much better prospect that you'd usually get.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Holloway is an absolute beast of a player and is tearing apart the NCAA. I gave you my opinion... wait for others to chime in that have seen him play.

Yes, he's a great prospect and again props to you for actually offering something that HURTS. That said, Forsberg is a top, top star winger - even if Holloway is trending really well, without question one of the very few best players in the NCAA and is entering convo for a top 25 prospect in the entire NHL - he could be all that and still never be the dynamic fulcrum Forsberg is today. And sure, yes - you are trading a young, controlled asset for what, 1.5 years of FF and then possibly/probably a new expensive contract for FF - so I get it, even if Holloway doesn't become the player FF is (and it's not likely) - there is value in that cheap control.

But then it comes back to what is Nashville actually trying to accomplish by even pondering trading Forsberg? You absolutely cannot trade Forsberg for Holloway (or similar prospect) and stop there IMO...

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Edmonton would be crazy to trade our only stud offensive player coming up even tho I like the trade I wouldn't pull the trigger based on our lack of offense.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think FF9 is hugely underrated around here on the basis of his point totals being suppressed on the Preds (but they are still pretty damn good). He's a star, all-around first line right wing and would get a lot more shine (not to mention goals) on a different team, in a different system and where he doesn't have to be the go-to guy because his teammates are either always hurt or are flakey and not consistent. Imagine him with a star center...scary.

That said, the OP at least gets credit for offering a really terrific prospect who is trending in the right direction. Holloway is getting a lot of praise and pub and deservedly so, for a great season. That said, Forsberg is the Preds' franchise forward and it's not close. Is Holloway+salary trash enough for them to deal the one constant threat in their offense who is still young enough to be a key piece moving forward? I really think if the Preds do something like this they might as well burn the whole thing to down and start over.
You tell no lies but believe the Oilers won't part with this prospect unless someone like a Forsberg becomes available. I haven't seen an offer as good as Holloway on this board and that is why I made this proposal.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Edmonton would be crazy to trade our only stud offensive player coming up even tho I like the trade I wouldn't pull the trigger based on our lack of offense.

This makes no sense to me...Forsberg is a far more dynamic offensive player than Holloway. If you don't want to trade Holloway, I get it, he's a fun prospect for Oilers fans to cheer for and follow right now. But let's get real...Forsberg added to McDavid and Drai - where he can be third wheel and get exceptional center service instead of trying to drag around a moribund offense on his own...it would be...rather delightful to watch.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The money doesn’t work even if I wanted to say yes. The money out needs to be equal meaning Neal and the add on top of Holloway needed to have it be Neal just isn’t happening. Value wise Edmonton wins as posted if the money worked, but it doesn’t.

I think Boston is a better option for a Forsberg trade. I could see us target Mantha if he’s moved based around his having more term, Holland liking his former Wings and Detroit being able to eat a cap dump if the trade value makes sense for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlWising

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This makes no sense to me...Forsberg is a far more dynamic offensive player than Holloway. If you don't want to trade Holloway, I get it, he's a fun prospect for Oilers fans to cheer for and follow right now. But let's get real...Forsberg added to McDavid and Drai - where he can be third wheel and get exceptional center service instead of trying to drag around a moribund offense on his own...it would be...rather delightful to watch.
I think Holloway is a little more than a "fun prospect", he's fierce and scoring at an outstanding pace for Wisconsin. I really don't think you are getting short changed with Holloway. Name another proposal for Forsberg you have seen that is better than Holloway. If you can't find one maybe you better rethink your statement. You have to be realistic in the ask.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Holloway is a little more than a "fun prospect", he's fierce and scoring at a near record setting pace for Wisconsin. I really don't think you are getting short changed with Holloway. Name another proposal for Forsberg you have seen that is better than Holloway. If you can't find one maybe you better rethink your statement. You have to be realistic in the ask.

What record?

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I say no from Edmonton. Not even looking at value of the trade, rather where Edmonton will need to be in the next 2 years with team payroll and how to really become a complete team. When all games played even out, Edmonton will be at or near the top in GF. Scoring is not at all where Edmonton should be looking to improve the team. They need to get a legit #1 goalie and a top pairing defenseman to really improve overall where it counts.

Holloway is going to be needed to produce whatever he can on an ELC to be able to afford the targeted needs. While FF would obviously make the forwards better this year and next, we would still have Koskinen as the #1 goalie and Nurse as the only top pair defenseman (if he keeps his play up going forward). A team can't spend that much on forward and address the other stuff.

Me saying no has nothing to do with FF the player or the cost of him in the trade.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Holloway is a little more than a "fun prospect", he's fierce and scoring at a near record setting pace for Wisconsin. I really don't think you are getting short changed with Holloway. Name another proposal for Forsberg you have seen that is better than Holloway. If you can't find one maybe you better rethink your statement. You have to be realistic in the ask.

Fair - "fun" was probably the wrong term to use. He's exciting and his growth has been tremendous.

Forsberg is Nashville's franchise up front right now. It's going to take a lot to move him. Holloway is certainly as good as any piece I've seen offered on HFB - I think Romanov is up there too, albeit in a hard to compare manner. I do think Holloway is much preferable to Caufield or Robertson or some of the other forward prospect names that have been pushed. It just comes down to what the Preds are trying to do. They don't have to move Forsberg at all...they can re-tool around him unless a spectacular offer comes there way. Holloway may or may not be spectacular as an offer in their eyes...I don't know what their scouts think or what their direction is.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I say no from Edmonton. Not even looking at value of the trade, rather where Edmonton will need to be in the next 2 years with team payroll and how to really become a complete team. When all games played even out, Edmonton will be at or near the top in GF. Scoring is not at all where Edmonton should be looking to improve the team. They need to get a legit #1 goalie and a top pairing defenseman to really improve overall where it counts.

Holloway is going to be needed to produce whatever he can on an ELC to be able to afford the targeted needs. While FF would obviously make the forwards better this year and next, we would still have Koskinen as the #1 goalie and Nurse as the only top pair defenseman (if he keeps his play up going forward). A team can't spend that much on forward and address the other stuff.

Me saying no has nothing to do with FF the player or the cost of him in the trade.

Seems reasonable to me. Holloway is going to potentially add a lot of what ails the Oilers (historically speaking) and at an entry-level price. Forsberg is like adding a Porsche to your garage that already has a Ferrari and Lambo. Then again...it would be rather fun!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Seems reasonable to me. Holloway is going to potentially add a lot of what ails the Oilers (historically speaking) and at an entry-level price. Forsberg is like adding a Porsche to your garage that already has a Ferrari and Lambo. Then again...it would be rather fun!

Exactly, it would be fun to watch. That said, nothing changes if Edmonton makes this trade. McDavid is leading the NHL in scoring without him. The Edmonton goaltending is laughed at by fans around the league. The Edmonton defense is laughed at by fans around the league. This trade doesn't address either, and makes it even more unlikely to even be able to address them.

As for another poster's comment about Holladay being overrated... He isn't being seen as the next "____" by Edmonton fans. He is a fast skating power forward that plays a 200 foot game and is producing at close to 2 points per game. Bird in hand for a prospect like that, especially someone that could financially allow you to address real needs IF he works out. McDavid made Maroon and Kassian look like productive players. I am sure it could make it work with Holladay.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Fair - "fun" was probably the wrong term to use. He's exciting and his growth has been tremendous.

Forsberg is Nashville's franchise up front right now. It's going to take a lot to move him. Holloway is certainly as good as any piece I've seen offered on HFB - I think Romanov is up there too, albeit in a hard to compare manner. I do think Holloway is much preferable to Caufield or Robertson or some of the other forward prospect names that have been pushed. It just comes down to what the Preds are trying to do. They don't have to move Forsberg at all...they can re-tool around him unless a spectacular offer comes there way. Holloway may or may not be spectacular as an offer in their eyes...I don't know what their scouts think or what their direction is.
It has to be bidding war in order to acquire Forsberg. Fully realized.

From the Oiler's perspective there is no guarantee that Forsberg even works out short term. Then there is no guarantee that Forsberg re-signs with Edmonton if dealt for.

Maybe the Predators nor the Oilers like what Forsberg wants for a contract going forward after the current contract runs out.

Maybe the Oilers could take a shot at Forsberg as an UFA when his current deal runs out, they have some alluring centers for him to play with and they won't have to give up a blue chip prospect.

If you see a better bid you should take it and run IMHO because this is the time to maximize your return.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Well, 29 points in 16 games for the University of Wisconsin could be close to some record. You'll need to prove to me it isn't.

This is a ridiculous statement, you can't just spout nonsense and ask other people to prove you wrong. But since you asked, Mark Johnson (from the Miracle on Ice team) played at Wisconsin and scored something like 80-100 points every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad