Proposal: Filip Forsberg to the Edmonton Oilers

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Holloway is a center dominating the NCAA. Expect the majority of Oiler fans to reject this deal outright but I think it is a good deal for both clubs.

I got news for yuh, Holland loves Holloway and absolutely will not trade him for a year and a half of Forsberg just to watch him bolt as a UFA and sign with the Rangers and Holloway goes on to star for many years for the Preds. see the problem here? o_O

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I got news for yuh, Holland loves Holloway and absolutely will not trade him for a year and a half of Forsberg just to watch him bolt as a UFA and sign with the Rangers and Holloway goes on to star for many years for the Preds. see the problem here? o_O

I got news for yuh, Poile loves Forsberg and absolutely will not trade him for Holloway to watch him stay at Wisconsin for two more years and watch him bolt as a UFA and sign with his hometown Flames as we basically trade our best forward for a guy who plays zero games for us. See the problem here? o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I got news for yuh, Poile loves Forsberg and absolutely will not trade him for Holloway to watch him stay at Wisconsin for two more yearsand watch him bolt as a UFA and sign with his hometown Flames as we basically trade our best forward for a guy who plays zero games for us. See the problem here? o_O

I don't think Holloway is that stupid. I think he would rather play for a team with talent. lol

Reactions: Dan Kelly

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
LOL at the point pace . until he hit those numbers he has done it . Players go into slumps . Last year Neal took off out of the gates like a number 1 winger and was on pace for 50+ goals . I guess we should have traded him and called him a 50 goal man .

lol it's not like he's doing those numbers in 5 or 10 games. Those are the numbers he's hit in 450ish games. Yeah players go into slumps. Three of those are full 82 game seasons with an average of 62 points.

One was the COVID shortened season last year (48 points in 63 games, 62 point pace and the season) and the season before that when he missed 17 games with a hand injury (22 points in 26 games before the injury, 28 in 38 after, still a 64 point pace in total.)

Then the closer to point per game which was a few seasons ago when he broke his hand but still finished with 64 points in 67 games and this year where he's at 17 in 18, granted he could still hit a slump and be in the 60-65 range.

But comparing him and what he's done since he became a full time player in the league to Neal's two game stretch where he scored 31% of his goals on the season last year is just so f***ing stupid.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Forsberg is a great player, would be scary next to McDavid and is definitely worth a 1st + a top prospect (1st + Holloway/Bouchard, maybe add a depth placeholder in the mix) but I believe some NSH fans have crazy expectations about the return of their players. You cannot argue Ekholm Forsberg Josi Ellis Arvidsson are all elite while you lose so many games. They are very good players, they are not even close to McDavid / Draisaitl.

I feel like our asks on Ekholm are pretty fair, but we want a pound of flesh for Forsberg.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I feel like our asks on Ekholm are pretty fair, but we want a pound of flesh for Forsberg.

For Ekholm, I won't go there because there is another page for it ;) Regarding Forsberg, I understand you'd want a lot, I am not sure who would pay the equivalent of 1st + Holloway + Bouchard. Holloway is trending up quite nicely (was 14th OA, is worth more than that right now), Bouchard is showing promise at NHL level. It is not in terms of value because value is what a team gets out of a player at a given point. The thing is any team ready to give up their farm for a very good winger with 1.5y contract ? To do that you must feel pretty close to the cup. ANd teams very close to the cup don't have that kind of prospects. :s

Ledge And Dairy

For Ekholm, I won't go there because there is another page for it ;) Regarding Forsberg, I understand you'd want a lot, I am not sure who would pay the equivalent of 1st + Holloway + Bouchard. Holloway is trending up quite nicely (was 14th OA, is worth more than that right now), Bouchard is showing promise at NHL level. It is not in terms of value because value is what a team gets out of a player at a given point. The thing is any team ready to give up their farm for a very good winger with 1.5y contract ? To do that you must feel pretty close to the cup. ANd teams very close to the cup don't have that kind of prospects. :s
This makes me think that you are saying he moves up in a redraft, out of curiosity who are you suggesting he would go before?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This makes me think that you are saying he moves up in a redraft, out of curiosity who are you suggesting he would go before?

No that is not what I mean, sorry if I have not been clear, my logic is as follows : let us assume the next draft is as good as the last AND that the prospect has not tanked, then 14th OA 2020 is worth more than 2021 because it is one year closer to the NHL so the discount rate is lower.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Rnh is already a more valuable player than Forsberg so why would the Oilers add a first or Holloway?
Really. Is he though? He can't carry his own line and career stats are like .75 ppg, some of that inflated by playing with Drai and McDavid. Forsberg is .77 ppg. Yes RNH is pretty good on both sides of the puck but he is not elite in any way. Plus the oilers can't afford him next year.

Sorry i take Forsberg over RNH. just my opinion.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Really. Is he though? He can't carry his own line and career stats are like .75 ppg, some of that inflated by playing with Drai and McDavid. Forsberg is .77 ppg. Yes RNH is pretty good on both sides of the puck but he is not elite in any way. Plus the oilers can't afford him next year.

Even admitting an Oilers bias I wouldn't take Forsberg over RNH.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think you have a lot more space to work with than you make it out to be, Larsson is probably gone and Barrie can only really stay if Klef doesn't return again. Don't see RNH asking for much more than 8M and you can probably bridge Yamamoto for similar to the Kapanen. Promote some of your rookie defensemen and that should leave you with around 4M and only missing a backup. This is assuming Seattle takes Jones too

You are forgetting Nurse , RNH isn't getting 8 million . Klefbom will never be the same , Trust me I have the same shoulder issues and 95% of the time I can not pick anything higher then my head . I drop glasses lot when the pain real kicks in and I am luck to get 2 hours of sleep with out waking from pain . Klefbom has said he can not even play with his kids or sleep so highly unlike he returns . Then we need a legit #1 goalie not a back up . We need a 3C , also we need either Barrie or Larsson back . We can not lose both . We also have to replace Klefbom if he isn't returning . Lots of holes to plug . . Then you have to plan for the future , Bouchard will need a new contract in 2 years , even if you bridge Yamamoto he will need a new deal 2 or 3 years down the road , Puljujarvi will need a new deal . We are coming or at lease I hope we are coming out of a pandemic . The NHL isn't going rebound that quick . Season ticket holders that have struggle during the pandemic won't be renewing their season tickets like nothing happen . I see the cap being cut . I am sure all contracts will be cut to make it work . Its just not as simple as you make it out to be .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Fans make things black and white . They aren't . RNH wants to be in Edmonton . Check . Forsberg has no loyalty to Edmonton . He might not even like it there . RNH can play centre if an injury occurs , Forsberg not so much . Hall did not work with Mcdavid , Eberle didn't , Lucic didn't and there been others . RNH fits with either Draisaitl or McDavid . Also why can Edmonton afford to sign him ? Yet Forsberg will need to be re-signed 1 year later at the cost of Holloway ++ . LOL not going to happen

RNH+the asset to trade for Forsberg>>>> Forsberg

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Dylan Holloway might be NHL ready right now. There is talk of him coming up to the NHL club after his NCAA season is over. Why trade an almost ready prospect before we see what he can do? I like Forsberg, but the Oilers aren't at the point where we can empty our prospect pool for a short run. We aren't close enough, and we don't have the prospect depth.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Forsberg is a great player, would be scary next to McDavid and is definitely worth a 1st + a top prospect (1st + Holloway/Bouchard, maybe add a depth placeholder in the mix) but I believe some NSH fans have crazy expectations about the return of their players. You cannot argue Ekholm Forsberg Josi Ellis Arvidsson are all elite while you lose so many games. They are very good players, they are not even close to McDavid / Draisaitl.

Yes, we can have multiple good players and still have a dog shit team, I'd like to introduce you to John Hynes. Just because we're dog shit doesn't mean we don't have four good players.

Nobody's acting like they are close to McD/Draisaitl here.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Definitely, that's exactly what I was saying, well done. You mentioned they have similar numbers, well here are some other numbers for you: Forsberg has more points than any two other Preds forwards COMBINED. Hopkins has TWENTY fewer points than the dude who centers him.

Every player not named Drai has a lot fewer points playing with McD than what McD scores. Forsberg would be no exception

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Forsberg will get as much in his next contract coming up as Rnh does so if we cant afford Rnh..........
Rnh is not an elite player. He is just good at pretty much everything including PP, pk. For the same $ I will keep Rnh thanks rather than giving up assets for players we dont need.
Look I am not saying Rnh is a far superior player to Forsberg. Forsberg is very good. But so is Rnh and he is more versatile and plays the kind of game you win with. Good in all zones and situations. FOr the Oilers any deal for Forsberg makes no sense. Especially if it means we lose Rnh because of the cap.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I got news for yuh, Poile loves Forsberg and absolutely will not trade him for Holloway to watch him stay at Wisconsin for two more years and watch him bolt as a UFA and sign with his hometown Flames as we basically trade our best forward for a guy who plays zero games for us. See the problem here? o_O

^^a little testy are we? :laugh:

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019

I wonder when NHL will fix this loophole. NHL teams get f***ed if player decides to stay in College but as player you get to choose your own destination so why not stay. It doesn't happen anywhere else (i think) so NHL needs to do something about it

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This doesn’t make sense for either side,
Forsberg > Holloway

Forsberg means more to the team than trading him away for a magic bean.

Holloway means more to the oilers as a potential cost controlled ELC player.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder when NHL will fix this loophole. NHL teams get f***ed if player decides to stay in College but as player you get to choose your own destination so why not stay. It doesn't happen anywhere else (i think) so NHL needs to do something about it
Hopefully never, these kids deserve to go to whatever team they want that’s willing to pick them up once finished college. They don’t owe anything to these teams that are drafting them

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I have to say, this is akin to Nieuwendyk for Iginla, in my mind. The question then becomes if Nashville thinks that highly of Holloway, and if Edmonton is close enough to a contender to be worth giving up a prime asset like Holloway.

IMO, the first question is a "maybe", but the second one is a no. Having a cost-controlled, high-end kid next season would be better than having another high-end forward. EDM should also use cap space for goaltending and defense, at this point.
Nieuwendyk for Iginla is precisely what was running through my mind when I made the original proposal. I tip my hat to you.

This is the best response out of anything I have read. Oiler posters have turned the thread to junk thinking they'll teach everybody a thing or two about the current state of hockey and shape of the puck.

Of course Forsberg is a better player than RNH and better suited for the Oilers given who their top two centers are. RNH is good but Forsberg is better and under contract for an additional year. Some of the other trade stuff leaves my head spinning and I can only conclude it was meant to derail the discussion.

Forsberg is outstanding and a prototypical NHL winger. I'd prefer he had a little more speed and board work but that would make him Peter Forsberg.

The original trade proposal is an excellent one. Dylan Holloway is going to be an exceptional hockey player who will soon be entering the league on a cost controlled ELC. He is a diamond in the rough and exactly what Nashville should be looking for.

Reactions: pth2

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nieuwendyk for Iginla is exactly what was running through my mind when I made the original proposal. I tip my hat to you.

This is the best response out of anything I have read. Oiler posters have turned the thread to junk thinking they'll teach everybody a thing or two about the current state of hockey and shape of the puck.

Of course Forsberg is a better player than RNH and better suited for the Oilers given who their top two centers are. RNH is good but Forsberg is better and under contract for an additional year. Some of the other trade stuff leaves my head spinning and I can only conclude it was meant to derail the discussion.

Forsberg is outstanding and a prototypical NHL winger. I'd prefer he had a little more speed and board work but that would make him Peter Forsberg.

The original trade proposal is an excellent one. Dylan Holloway is going to be an excellent hockey player who will just be entering the league on an ELC. He is a diamond in the rough and exactly what Nashville should be looking for.
He is the exact type of prospect the Oilers should be holding on to as well. Your logic is on the money for this trade, aside from one thing. Edmonton isn't close enough to contending to make this trade. Dallas did Iginla for Nieuwendyk because they thought (correctly) that they were that one piece away from winning it all. Edmonton is playing great right now, but realistically needs to improve their goaltending, and possibly find a game-breaking defenseman before they are at the point that Dallas was then. Give us an upgrade in net first at bare minimum. Then we can consider selling the farm for a cup run.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He is the exact type of prospect the Oilers should be holding on to as well. Your logic is on the money for this trade, aside from one thing. Edmonton isn't close enough to contending to make this trade. Dallas did Iginla for Nieuwendyk because they thought (correctly) that they were that one piece away from winning it all. Edmonton is playing great right now, but realistically needs to improve their goaltending, and possibly find a game-breaking defenseman before they are at the point that Dallas was then. Give us an upgrade in net first at bare minimum. Then we can consider selling the farm for a cup run.
I see your point and accept the wisdom but "I would like the Oilers make multiple moves to round out the team so it can compete for the Stanley cup". The window needs to open soon with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: pth2

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Why would you do that? We dont need a winger.

I don’t disagree with that... it was moreso what I would offer IF the Oilers were interested and negotiating this deal.

We don’t have the cap space and personally I would rather keep Nuge and overpay a little bit and keep Bouchard and our 1st.

If we lose Nuge this year though... I am 100% offering that up. I think a winger like Forsberg would be a great fit with McDavid. Not saying the Preds don’t get a better offer, but it’s close to the type of return I feel they would get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad