Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Filing for arbitration, and subsequently agreeing to a contract without going through the process like Fiala did, and filing for arbitration and having to go through the process as the Canucks would have to in order to slash down Boeser's QO by $1M are two different situations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect there would be some animosity from Boeser's camp to go through a process where a new management group will slag his ability and talent in order to have an arbitrator award them a slightly favorable contract. Ultimately neither side wants it to get to that and I would expect either Boeser agrees to a contract more favourable to the team or he's dealt.

There's no difference; Minnesota would've had to argue a case against a higher award for Fiala, same as Canucks with Boeser if they go to a hearing, which is unlikely. There's nothing sacred about a QO figure and the club has the arbitration option if it feels the number is modestly too high just as the player does if he feels it's too low. It's not as though the club promised a guy something and now they're trying to underhandedly get out of it.

Reactions: F A N

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Can someone convince me that Kravtsov and Lundkvist are better than Klimovich and Rathbone at this stage.

I'm completely tuned out to those 2 names in anything relating to Miller

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Filing for arbitration, and subsequently agreeing to a contract without going through the process like Fiala did, and filing for arbitration and having to go through the process as the Canucks would have to in order to slash down Boeser's QO by $1M are two different situations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect there would be some animosity from Boeser's camp to go through a process where a new management group will slag his ability and talent in order to have an arbitrator award them a slightly favorable contract. Ultimately neither side wants it to get to that and I would expect either Boeser agrees to a contract more favourable to the team or he's dealt.

You're assuming that Boeser and the Canucks would go through the arbitration process though. There's still plenty of games to be played, but right now Boeser is on pace for 26 goals and 51 points (and might fall short of that). Boeser had a good season last year but in 19-20 he was on pace for 23 goals and he missed games. Given the Canucks' record over the past 3 seasons vis a vis his play, Boeser's camp has a weak argument that he contributes a lot to the Canucks winning. So Boeser's camp would need to evaluate what an arbitrator would likely award vs what the Canucks are offering to avoid arbitration.

I agree with @Blue and Green that there shouldn't be any hard feelings. Nobody is lowballing Boeser here. And at the time Boeser signed his contract, his previous two seasons were objectively better than what he has put up since with the exception of 20-21.

The way I see it is that Boeser should know that he hasn't earned a $7.5M AAV deal. Again, there's still a lot of games to be played and if Boeser gets hot down the stretch then ya he has a good case to be paid. But right now, it's not looking like it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You're assuming that Boeser and the Canucks would go through the arbitration process though. There's still plenty of games to be played, but right now Boeser is on pace for 26 goals and 51 points (and might fall short of that). Boeser had a good season last year but in 19-20 he was on pace for 23 goals and he missed games. Given the Canucks' record over the past 3 seasons vis a vis his play, Boeser's camp has a weak argument that he contributes a lot to the Canucks winning. So Boeser's camp would need to evaluate what an arbitrator would likely award vs what the Canucks are offering to avoid arbitration.

I agree with @Blue and Green that there shouldn't be any hard feelings. Nobody is lowballing Boeser here. And at the time Boeser signed his contract, his previous two seasons were objectively better than what he has put up since with the exception of 20-21.

The way I see it is that Boeser should know that he hasn't earned a $7.5M AAV deal. Again, there's still a lot of games to be played and if Boeser gets hot down the stretch then ya he has a good case to be paid. But right now, it's not looking like it.
Arbitration is brutal for players. Generally it signals the start of the end for that player with the organization. They have to sit there as their employer tells a stranger how they’re essentially a piece of crap that’s not remotely worth what their contract says they’re entitled to. You may say he knows he’s not worth it. If that was the case then why has the signed an extension for less money? It’s because he knows what he’s contractually due.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If Lundqvist was a top notch defender/ stay at home his size could be overlooked… sounds like he’s more like rathbone though. You’d have to get strategic on how you deploy rathbone/Lundqvist/ Hughes (spilt them all up).

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If NYR doesn't want to move Schneider that's fine, the Canucks can seek trading partners elsewhere. Or keep Miller and trade Horvat, which is a much better strategy.

Reactions: Vector

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If Lundqvist was a top notch defender/ stay at home his size could be overlooked… sounds like he’s more like rathbone though. You’d have to get strategic on how you deploy rathbone/Lundqvist/ Hughes (spilt them all up).
Or you trade one of Rathbone or Lundkvist and recover an asset. I’d opt to keep whichever is better defensively and can log big minutes. QH and OEL will soak up all of the PP time for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
tempted to put this in a new thread but I'll post here.

I'm curious how long people think it will take to turn this around. Key objectives that define a turn around could be:
1. Recover salary cap flexibility
2. Build prospect pool to at least a mid tier group
3. Team ranking that suggests a probability of winning at least two rounds of the playoffs and, with the right dominos falling, making it to the finals.

On the salary cap:
At a minimum, the Ferland, Hotlby, Luongo contracts need to be cleared.
Need to find players with equivalent on ice value for Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, Hamonic, and Poolman for a total of $6-$8M less.
With the exception of Hamonic (1 year after this one) all of these players have 2 years remaining on their contracts after this year. Moving them in trades will speed up the process.
For cap management they need to factor in how much Motte should be getting on an increase. $1.5M would be a good number. But he would probably get >$2M as a UFA. If they are trying to better manage the cap, they should move him this year.
For ELCs, Hoglander is up after one more year. Unless he takes a major step, his second contract should be manageable. Podkolzin is up after 2 more years. I'm hopeful he will develop into an important piece over that time. That said, I don't see him putting up the kind of numbers that warrant a huge raise after elc. So again, should be manageable.
They could do all of this without needing to move one of the big forward contracts but that doesn't mean they shouldn't (see competitiveness below).

For the salary cap, it can reasonably be done in two years and potentially accelerated to one year if some of the contracts can be moved.

On building the prospect pool:
They have Rathbone, high risk/high reward Klimovich, and decent goaltending depth. Lockwood could be a Motte replacement but still uncertain. I don't see any others that will be more than replacement level players. Realistically they need to add a half dozen players and put them on a development path that provides a great than 50/50 chance that they have significant NHL careers. This will take longer...3 to 4 years? Acquiring European and college FAs could speed up this process. Be great to find the next Chris Tanev.

On team competitiveness:
The core and the fringe core need to continue to have good development paths and show that early career struggles are exceptions rather than the rule (Pettersson). This includes Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Podkolzin, Hoglander.
They need to fix the D once and for all. OEL is here to stay. He is a solid piece albeit at $2M too high. Outside of that they need two top 4 D men with at least 1 being a top pairing RHD. Moving one of the big forward contracts is likely necessary to achieve this within two years.
They need to reallocate Dickinson's money and find a legitimate 3C that is a Horvat light but better defensively (i.e nothing like Horvat)
All of this is doable in two years.

Conclusion: Fixing the salary cap is doable in two years, maybe less and most of it is within the team's control. Building the prospect pool will take longer (3 to 4 years) but eminently doable. There is a clear path to becoming a competitive team but a lot of things have to go right.

interesting times in Canuckland.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Maybe it’s just me but I am finding many fan bases have a pref for almost anyone but miller… not sure if they are just misinformed on millers skill level and/or nervous about what the return would cost them.

So many UFA options but they would be a one-time playoff run. Seems silly if you can get someone for 2 runs!

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I don't know enough about Lundkvist as a prospect to know how he would fit, but we've certainly seen smaller guys here recently like Stecher do fine in the defensive zone.

My thought is that this team has 3 immediate needs on the blueline with no answer in the system:

-Top four, all-situations RHD
-Defensive LHD to play heavy minutes/PK
-Puck-moving RHD with top4 potential

Obviously the first guy on the list is the most difficult to get and I would slot Lundkvist as more of the third category as of now.

This team also needs to figure out the plan with Rathbone. Can he play RHD and fill that third spot? He doesn't fit as the LHD defensive guy.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Maybe it’s just me but I am finding many fan bases have a pref for almost anyone but miller… not sure if they are just misinformed on millers skill level and/or nervous about what the return would cost them.

So many UFA options but they would be a one-time playoff run. Seems silly if you can get someone for 2 runs!
Doesn't seem like rocket science to me but maybe I'm missing something. Miller's trade value is at an all time high. He will be getting a very big raise in his next contract, shortly after he turns 30 - not conducive to good cap and asset management. And reallocating his cap hit to fix the D is the fastest way to make this team competitive within 2 years.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'm still looking at LA and thinking they'd be a good landing spot for miller, and they could do it without touching their roster or really thier top prospects. I think Faber would be a perfect fit with Hughes(even over grens), maybe see if they would put turcotte on the table. I'd do Faber and turcotte without a first in the deal.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Yea you can take Boeser to arbitration in lieu of his QO, but that’s a great way to burn your bridges with that player so you’re likely looking at trading him regardless. Team elected arbitration in lieu of QO has also never been done before as well as far as I know.

I also don’t consider the equivalent of a 1st and 2nd round pick as well as $6M+ in cap space to be peanuts. A competent management group, like Florida’s for example, was able to easily replace Boeser’s production for less than $6M. I’m hoping this group can achieve something similar. But to each their own.

What did Gillis do with Mason Raymond?

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
God Rutherford is good at posturing. He's not saying anything substantial. Everything publicly has been that the team doesn't need to be broken down, they have time to evaluate, any changes might come in the summer. While all the leaks are split between "major changes coming" and "they'll probably wait until the offseason or next season".

The truth is that this team has only been together for a very short time. They are still information gathering and sorting with their own players and other teams players. From what it sounds like to me is that they are still evaluating who is the core to build around (Horvat, Boeser, and Miller's contract statuses being the main driving force). I'm expecting some small deals shedding some of the depth for open roster spots (maybe a Pearson, Dickinson, and/or Poolman-type if there's a market) with one big deal (Boeser or Miller stand out).

If it's not a massive trade deadline for this management team, I'm not going to complain. It would be fun from them to kick the doors down but I get why they would be hesitant.

Reactions: rypper and Josepho

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
God Rutherford is good at posturing. He's not saying anything substantial. Everything publicly has been that the team doesn't need to be broken down, they have time to evaluate, any changes might come in the summer. While all the leaks are split between "major changes coming" and "they'll probably wait until the offseason or next season".

The truth is that this team has only been together for a very short time. They are still information gathering and sorting with their own players and other teams players. From what it sounds like to me is that they are still evaluating who is the core to build around (Horvat, Boeser, and Miller's contract statuses being the main driving force). I'm expecting some small deals shedding some of the depth for open roster spots (maybe a Pearson, Dickinson, and/or Poolman-type if there's a market) with one big deal (Boeser or Miller stand out).

If it's not a massive trade deadline for this management team, I'm not going to complain. It would be fun from them to kick the doors down but I get why they would be hesitant.

I would be disappointed if they don't sell Miller now when his value is massive with two playoff runs. Unless something weird happens with the market, we shouldn't be able to touch this level of value again.

Otherwise, yeah. Agreed.

Reactions: Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

By now Benning would have made a press release concerning all the players he intended to move, and the draft picks he intended to include in any trade so as to sweeten the pot.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Keep in mind this new staff has to put boots on the ground immediately, get moved and sorted out in Vancouver, have an organizational onboarding into Jim and Patrick's vision, then evaluate pretty much as many players in the league as possible, go into larger meetings of the hockey ops and finally war rooms before making any sort of moves. Fans and media are going to have to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad