Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
I would be disappointed if they don't sell Miller now when his value is massive with two playoff runs. Unless something weird happens with the market, we shouldn't be able to touch this level of value again.

Otherwise, yeah. Agreed.

I'd agree on being a bit disappointed not maximizing Miller's value this deadline. But I was intrigued yesterday when Seravelli (I think?) mentioned yesterday that Boeser's value in the market would be well north of what Toffoli got. If that's true, and there's a deal out there for Boeser that includes a 1st + a good prospect + another pick, I could live with holding Miller past this deadline. I'd be fine with using Boeser along with a combination of Pearson/Dickinson/Poolman/Hamonic/Halak et. al to create some cap breathing room.

That being said, I still hope that someone steps up and offers the moon for Miller forcing us to make the deal and move forward with Petterson/Horvat/Hughes/Hoglander/Podz + new assets.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Again lots of insightful posts, lots of how to fix this mess, which players will make this group better, lots of bandaids.

This is a flawed creation and trying to fix this group is doomed to failure because it ends up being a giant bandage of bandaid on top of bandaid.

Rutherford stated "age group" and I am pretty sure he meant when the team would be under cap control and a major group entering their prime and not leaving their best years behind them. Not having favored vets making too much against the cap, the highest paid players younger than 28 yrs old.

I think he is meaning cleaning house and maybe keeping very few money value, players that play at the level they are paid.
We know for sure he is keeping Demko, a franchise goalie but after that it is open.

This new management group can do anything and the way Benning had this team set up, anything could be an improvement, even almost by accident because this product is so created to be a team competing and counting upon other teams rebuilding to make a playoff spot, even a wild card, but that is what this group has been built for, nothing more.

Still there are many good to great ideas but think of building a team from scratch and aiming 3 years to be playoffs contenders and 4+to be cup contenders.

You have to get bad before you can become good.

In PLANNING a team the 2023 draft, supposedly one of the best in 2 decades would be in any PLAN. That draft alone could, maybe, get 4 NHL players with 2 being stars.
In two years most of the bad contracts will be flushed except one OEL, again a not bad player suffering because he got paid what he deserved but the term is too long.

All the chat about the NYR, they have young players, Lafreniere, Kakko, Schneider, Miller and Kravtsov. They have cap space.

Lots of potential trade partners for Horvat, Miller, Garland, Boeser, Schenn, Motte, "Ferland", "Sutter" the latter two as add ins to help create cap space via LTIR on other teams, Myers, Hughes and Petey.

Just think if only two players from Van got all five from NYR. Those players would be a plus

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
By now Benning would have made a press release concerning all the players he intended to move, and the draft picks he intended to include in any trade so as to sweeten the pot.

IIRC he once sent an email to every other GM listing all the players that we were looking to dump for whatever we could get.

Does anyone else remember that or have the link?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
IIRC he once sent an email to every other GM listing all the players that we were looking to dump for whatever we could get.

I believe that's more or less correct. I believe the NHL has a league-wide software where teams can input players they are looking to trade, kind of like the trade block feature in the EA games or whatever. But no GM actually uses it. Benning did.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Lol yes that was when he ended up trading Shinkaruk.

edit....ok just saw that above but i do remember local media openly discussing they weren't high on Shinkaruk and were hoping to move him for a comparable defensive prospect then just settled for Weisbrods guy. There were others at that time also listed if i'm remembering correctly

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would be disappointed if they don't sell Miller now when his value is massive with two playoff runs. Unless something weird happens with the market, we shouldn't be able to touch this level of value again.

Otherwise, yeah. Agreed.

My pet theory is they reached out to Miller and his agent to gauge the possibility of signing an extension and he didn't respond with an immediate "no". Probably something along the lines of "I want to see what moves are done to improve the team and where we are at with a full offseason and training camp before I commit but I do like it here". It would be a massive risk to bank on that given that they are surely aware the team will probably won't take any sort of step forward, results-wise, next season.

Reactions: MS

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Otherwise, yeah. Agreed.

They could also potentially get a good haul for Miller this summer if they let teams talk with him before the trade about an extension. They should not balk though if they get a sufficient return between now and the deadline though.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Something that hasn't really been pointed out wrt the Toffoli valuation is that there was no retention and it brought me back to the recent proposals being thrown out in the Miller deal.

If we retain 50% on Miller and are getting some 1st, Kravstov, Lundkvist deal—that is atrocious value. If there's zero retention and 5.4MM next year is gone, the calculus changes but I don't think they should jump at that package as it truly is NYR's misfits who have a very limited future with the franchise.

There's two things that could drive insane amounts of value here: 1) two playoff runs and 2) the potential to retain down to ~850k cap this year, 2.7MM cap next year.

Reactions: MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hoping JR and co can find away to offload Dickinson/poolman.
Dickinson has been a big disappointment...In fact, Sutter would have been an upgrade on him (can win face-offs, score, and defend)...I would be impressed if JR could make Dicky go away.

Poolman, to me, has been inconsistent..He's obviously a limited player, but his salary is a little north of 3rd pairing D man (who can occasionally fill in the top 4)..as advertised...He is what he is.

Reactions: alternate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad