Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
My expectations:

1) paying to lose a bad contract. not sure who, or the cost, but being this cash strapped, I cannot imagine proceeding without making some sort of room.

2) trading at least one good player

3) Will see the direction leadership is going pretty quick and it won’t be the wishy washy garbage we’ve seen

I reserve judgement on the ability of this group based on their actions but don’t expect much as they’re somewhat painted into a corner

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
My expectations:

1) paying to lose a bad contract. not sure who, or the cost, but being this cash strapped, I cannot imagine proceeding without making some sort of room.

2) trading one good player

3) Will see the direction leadership is going pretty quick and it won’t be the wishy washy garbage we’ve seen

I reserve judgement on the ability of this group based on their actions but don’t expect much as they’re somewhat painted into a corner

I expect we might see a situation where they move a guy like Boeser for pick(s) and then use those pick(s) to dump a contract. If they could somehow shed $12+M in the form of Myers/Boeser and repurpose that capspace in the off-season, this team could be much better off as early as next season.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I expect we might see a situation where they move a guy like Boeser for pick(s) and then use those pick(s) to dump a contract. If they could somehow shed $12+M in the form of Myers/Boeser and repurpose that capspace in the off-season, this team could be much better off as early as next season.
They could maybe find a way to ship off Myers, but who is going to play the RHD...?..Poolman is 3rd pairing D, and Hamonic and Schenn are band aids...There's nobody there...There is no succession plan.

A top 4 RHD in a trade, or UFA, carries a high rate of exchange...This is a riddle that Rutherford and Allvin are going to have to figure out.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
They could maybe find a way to ship off Myers, but who is going to play the RHD...?..Poolman is 3rd pairing D, and Hamonic and Schenn are band aids...There's nobody there...There is no succession plan.

A top 4 RHD in a trade, or UFA, carries a high rate of exchange...This is a riddle that Rutherford and Allvin are going to have to figure out.

Myers was just one name. Dickinson/Poolman are probably more likely cap dumps.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Yea. I don’t expect to get full value for a good player because something must go out to make room

to add to that, I’d like to see that space weaponized to take on expiring bad contracts + picks, rather than FAs.

(I don’t think teams are built well through free agency.)

Toss it to Tanti

Mar 24, 2018
I would love to see us make some trades with our bottom 6, being traded out for lottery tickets on some reclamation projects. I look at the trade that Pittsburgh did with Chicago, trading Sam Lafferty for Alex Nylander; or even Juho being traded for Juolevi. Trading some established bottom 6 players, for risk/reward players like that are the kinda moves we need to hit on to have any chance at a quick turn around.

I wonder if there's a Tyler Motte for Alex Nylander/Owen Tippett (have to add to the later) type deal out there.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

A $6 million, low ceiling #4 defenseman who can't play regularly with Hughes, needs to be babysat by the team's best defensive defenseman, isn't needed on the power play, and sucks at killing penalties is the easiest thing in the world to replace. This is the very opposite of a riddle. You could put a $1M Mark Pysyk next to OEL and that pairing would likely generate better results than OEL-Myers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A $6 million, low ceiling #4 defenseman who can't play regularly with Hughes, needs to be babysat by the team's best defensive defenseman, isn't needed on the power play, and sucks at killing penalties is the easiest thing in the world to replace. This is the very opposite of a riddle. You could put a $1M Mark Pysyk next to OEL and that pairing would likely generate better results than OEL-Myers.

Tyler Myers is a far, far better player than Mark Pysyk despite what those trash JFresh charts might say.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Lots of talk about cap dumps, but keep in mind that assuming we move one of JTM, BB or Garland we have cap room next season.

Using Capfriendly, I:
1. Traded JTM (for no return, just seeing about cap space)
2. Re-signed Brock Boeser for $6.666m
3. Re-signed UFA Spencer Martin for $1m
4. Re-signed RFAs Highmore, Lammikko, Lockwood, Rathbone, Juulsen for a total of about $5m and have all on the roster.
5. Traded Halak to lose the bonus hit
6. Let Motte walk
7. Have Burroughs in the minors for this roster, but he's signed at league minimum and has been decent depth
8. Didn't move any of Hamonic, Dickinson, Poolman, etc

And end up with a 22 man roster (12 forwards/8 dmen/2 goalies) and $7.6m in cap space.

This is with a cap of $81.5m, think we are expecting an increase of $1m. Also still have Ferland's $3.5m LTIR that can be tapped into.

Keeping all 3 of Miller, Boeser, Garland and not moving Halak would definitely absorb any cap flexibility we could have. But we don't have to be giving up picks or other assets just to free up cap space.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I would love to see us make some trades with our bottom 6, being traded out for lottery tickets on some reclamation projects. I look at the trade that Pittsburgh did with Chicago, trading Sam Lafferty for Alex Nylander; or even Juho being traded for Juolevi. Trading some established bottom 6 players, for risk/reward players like that are the kinda moves we need to hit on to have any chance at a quick turn around.

I wonder if there's a Tyler Motte for Alex Nylander/Owen Tippett (have to add to the later) type deal out there.

I wouldn't trade Motte for either of those guys. Nylander has played entirely in the AHL this year. Motte and Tippett's production isn't that far off playing about the same minutes ES, but Tippett gets PP time and has better linemates playing for a Florida team that scores a billion goals a game.

The only top 10 picks to turn it around on another team since the 2010 draft were NHL players getting 25-35 points ( Ryan Strome, Bennett, Nichushkin). That's why I wouldn't be opposed targeting Tippett. Targeting Derrick Pouliot, Alex Nylander types that can't make their NHL teams when they are eligible for waivers is a complete waste.

Toss it to Tanti

Mar 24, 2018
I wouldn't trade Motte for either of those guys. Nylander has played entirely in the AHL this year. Motte and Tippett's production isn't that far off playing about the same minutes ES, but Tippett gets PP time and has better linemates playing for a Florida team that scores a billion goals a game.

The only top 10 picks to turn it around on another team since the 2010 draft were NHL players getting 25-35 points ( Ryan Strome, Bennett, Nichushkin). That's why I wouldn't be opposed targeting Tippett. Targeting Derrick Pouliot, Alex Nylander types that can't make their NHL teams when they are eligible for waivers is a complete waste.

Entirely fair point, but I would rather target a player with top 10 skill, than get a 3rd round pick for an expiring contract. Not only are they closer to being an impact player, the odds they’re an NHL player is generally greater. I would take Alex Nylander playing with Nils on our 3rd line for the rest of the year over Alex Chiasson, especially if we’re not going to be able to afford Mottes next contract anyways.

Even if it doesn’t work out, then all we lost is 20 games of Tyler Motte. That is a bet you need to be willing to make.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Myers is better than he gets credit for, and so is OEL, but I can’t really see a team overcoming having both of those grossly inefficient contracts on their defence and achieving their goals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Myers is better than he gets credit for, and so is OEL, but I can’t really see a team overcoming having both of those grossly inefficient contracts on their defence and achieving their goals.

It's a bit inaccurate to lump those two contracts together like they're similar.

Myers is a $12 million future cap commitment.
OEL is a $36 million furture cap commitment.

Myers is actually skating well and not really showing signs of decline. OEL is in a career freefall.

OEL's contract is basically untradeable.
Myers ... I could see a team being interested with $2 million retention, and I could definitely see a Buffalo/NJ/Ottawa type team being interested in the summer even at his full ticket.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not really..You've been ragging on Myers since day 1 (at one point you were claiming his contract was going to be identical in impact, to the disastrous Eriksson signing)...Nothing anybody says, or the players performance ,is really going to change your opinion.

An article on Myers, regarding his play this season..with praise from Coach B.
At 31 years old, Tyler Myers is having the best season of his NHL career with the Vancouver Canucks

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Not really..You've been ragging on Myers since day 1 (at one point you were claiming his contract was going to be identical to the disastrous Eriksson signing)...Nothing anybody says, or the players performance ,is going to change your opinion.

Well...Myers has, up until this season, been pretty craptastic...and even this year, while better than the previous, hasn't been worthy of a $6m contract...to be critical of Myers and his signing is completely fair IMO.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
We’re stuck with OEL’s albatross contract. He skates like he’s 34 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5