Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
1st and a prospect drafted in the 2nd round 18 months ago. If the alternative is to give Boeser a bloated contract, I’ll take the futures and use the capspace wiser, thanks.

Calgary is 9th in points above .500 and 4th in goal differential, so guess where that 1st-round pick for Toffoli is likely to land in the draft order.

If Canucks traded Boeser for a late 1st and a B-level prospect... :madfire:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, my concern on seeing the value for Toffoli wasn’t that it would make the Canucks’ potential return better, but worse. Sure sounds like the Rangers are getting their media guys to hype crappy offers in the press.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
With all the talk about the Rangers and Capitals having interest, I still wonder about Minnesota’s level of interest in Miller…looking at their center ice depth and it’s pretty lacking…will they be able to compete with Colorado, Vegas and St.Louis down the middle? I’d definitely be interested in a package built around Rossi…Miller could really be a difference maker for them. I hope they jump into the fray.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
With all the talk about the Rangers and Capitals having interest, I still wonder about Minnesota’s level of interest in Miller…looking at their center ice depth and it’s pretty lacking…will they be able to compete with Colorado, Vegas and St.Louis down the middle? I’d definitely be interested in a package built around Rossi…Miller could really be a difference maker for them. I hope they jump into the fray.
I don’t think so! They definitely need a top 6 centre if they legitimately want to compete. Rumours are they seem to want giroux.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I don’t think so! They definitely need a top centre if they legitimately want to compete. Rumours are they seem to want giroux.

‘Might make sense for a rental, but it is just a rental…Giroux likely won’t cost them anything resembling Miller’s price, but it will cost and it’s likely a one and done shot. Miller is a better choice IMO, but my opinion doesn’t mean jack.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This was addressed in the post. I went back and check Bergerons height and weight he was listed at for the 2010 olympics he was 6'2 194 for the 2010 olympics again damn close and still almost 20lb heavier then Petey.

Everyone 1C is at least 20+ pounds heavier then Petey who honestly doesnt even look like he weights 176 pounds.
The problem is you have a narrative that you want to be true and you are looking for evidence to support it rather than looking at the winners and seeing what the pattern is.
All the winning teams are deep as f***. Most of them have 2 centers that can be #1Cs and they have deep defense and excellent goaltending.

Reactions: racerjoe

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
‘Might make sense for a rental, but it is just a rental…Giroux likely won’t cost them anything resembling Miller’s price, but it will cost and it’s likely a one and done shot. Miller is a better choice IMO, but my opinion doesn’t mean jack.
Agreed! I don’t think the value will be much better at the end of the day. I think teams are more scared what they will have to pay up for miller.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Late 1st + Lundkvist + mid-round pick is pretty much exactly what Toffoli got.

The piece with 1st + Lund better be nice or that's a joke lol.

Reactions: Nucker101

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
What do you think his value is? Keep in mind he has a $7.5M QO coming up. I think a lot of you are stuck in fantasy land regarding Boeser’s trade value.

Boeser could be taken to club-elected arbitration to save up to 15% from that QO figure. Unless he goes on an absolute tear in the next 10 weeks he'd have no chance of getting $7.5M from an arbitrator. However, he's a legit 1st-line winger in this league who is currently still 11 days short of his 25th birthday so yeah, he's not going to sign for peanuts and he also shouldn't be traded for peanuts.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Do not get concerned about what Larry Brooks writes. He's a shill. He's always been a shill. Lundkvist may very well be a target and part of the package but the low ball package is coming from Brooks.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Boeser could be taken to club-elected arbitration to save up to 15% from that QO figure. Unless he goes on an absolute tear in the next 10 weeks he'd have no chance of getting $7.5M from an arbitrator. However, he's a legit 1st-line winger in this league who is currently still 11 days short of his 25th birthday so yeah, he's not going to sign for peanuts and he also shouldn't be traded for peanuts.

Yea you can take Boeser to arbitration in lieu of his QO, but that’s a great way to burn your bridges with that player so you’re likely looking at trading him regardless. Team elected arbitration in lieu of QO has also never been done before as well as far as I know.

I also don’t consider the equivalent of a 1st and 2nd round pick as well as $6M+ in cap space to be peanuts. A competent management group, like Florida’s for example, was able to easily replace Boeser’s production for less than $6M. I’m hoping this group can achieve something similar. But to each their own.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Worth mentioning that on the Rangers board they are doing their prospect ranks and have Lundkvist at #1 over Schneider, Jones, Othmann etc.
Again, I really have no say/care in this as I don't watch prospects basically ever.

But, that ranking seems counterintuitive considering all of these rangers fans are like "OMG we can't trade Schneider and Othmann" but then rank those guys below.

Reactions: m9 and Red

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Again, I really have no say/care in this as I don't watch prospects basically ever.

But, that ranking seems counterintuitive considering all of these rangers fans are like "OMG we can't trade Schneider and Othmann" but then rank those guys below.

Yeah, I don't know. I suppose the rankings started a month or two back so maybe they've changed their opinion a bit. But either way, I do think it's plausible that the Canucks value him as much or better than their other prospects as well.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know. I suppose the rankings started a month or two back so maybe they've changed their opinion a bit. But either way, I do think it's plausible that the Canucks value him as much or better than their other prospects as well.

I think Lundkvist has been a bit of a disappointment overall for Rangers' fans as he wasn't able to stick in the NHL and hasn't really put up numbers in the AHL either. And of course Schneider just fits their needs better.

I think Lundkvist is a talented player, but as what would be the likely centerpiece of a Miller trade, I'd be disappointed. I don't think he has top pairing potential and his offensive instincts on the PP would be underutilized playing behind Quinn.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yea you can take Boeser to arbitration in lieu of his QO, but that’s a great way to burn your bridges with that player so you’re likely looking at trading him regardless. Team elected arbitration in lieu of QO has also never been done before as well as far as I know.

I also don’t consider the equivalent of a 1st and 2nd round pick as well as $6M+ in cap space to be peanuts. A competent management group, like Florida’s for example, was able to easily replace Boeser’s production for less than $6M. I’m hoping this group can achieve something similar. But to each their own.

I don't see why a club electing arbitration would burn bridges any more than players filing, which they do regularly. Minnesota filed last summer with Kevin Fiala. It's leverage, that's all. It's in the CBA, every agent knows it's there and it's fair game.

In the range where the Flames' traded 2022 1st-rounder figures to land, I don't consider that pick plus a late 2nd-rounder or a B-level prospect to be an acceptable exchange for a player just about to turn 25 who is .8 PPG in his career and is still two more full seasons from UFA status.

Reactions: sting101

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't see why a club electing arbitration would burn bridges any more than players filing, which they do regularly. Minnesota filed last summer with Kevin Fiala. It's leverage, that's all. It's in the CBA, every agent knows it's there and it's fair game.

Filing for arbitration, and subsequently agreeing to a contract without going through the process like Fiala did, and filing for arbitration and having to go through the process as the Canucks would have to in order to slash down Boeser's QO by $1M are two different situations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect there would be some animosity from Boeser's camp to go through a process where a new management group will slag his ability and talent in order to have an arbitrator award them a slightly favorable contract. Ultimately neither side wants it to get to that and I would expect either Boeser agrees to a contract more favourable to the team or he's dealt.

In the range where the Flames' traded 2022 1st-rounder figures to land, I don't consider that pick plus a late 2nd-rounder or a B-level prospect to be an acceptable exchange for a player just about to turn 25 who is .8 PPG in his career and is still two more full seasons from UFA status.

It really comes down to potential contract with Boeser for me. I'm personally not attached to the player and think his offensive ability could be replaced in UFA or trade with shrewd moves for less than the expected cap hit. Add on a 1st and 2nd on top of that and I don't think it's as horrible as you're making it out to be.

Reactions: Qwijibo

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
At this point I would take a serious look at seeing if we could sign Miller - I originally wanted to trade him and still do IF we can get a haul but he's just such a stud that I think we gotta look at keeping him and if we can shed Boeser or anything else do that.

I would however make it VERY known that Washington has serious interest in Miller - see if NYR can start slobbering all over themselves and buck up a bit more. Not liking what I hear has been on the table from them so far.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
At this point I would take a serious look at seeing if we could sign Miller - I originally wanted to trade him and still do IF we can get a haul but he's just such a stud that I think we gotta look at keeping him and if we can shed Boeser or anything else do that.

I would however make it VERY known that Washington has serious interest in Miller - see if NYR can start slobbering all over themselves and buck up a bit more. Not liking what I hear has been on the table from them so far.

Assuming they're valid, I'm hoping all of the names we've been linked too - Kravtsov, Lundqvist - etc are just the starting offers that NYR have put out, and JR/PA are just feeding media leaked interest to a) spur a bidding war and b) keep the Rangers engaged.

But I've been so jaded by Benning's as-transparent-as-a-plastic-bag sctick that I can't help but fear we'll just end up with two redundant prospects as the centerpieces for the best trade asset we've had since prime Kesler. Honestly, Miller is probably more valuable given it's a deadline deal and he's signed for two full playoff runs).

Agreed though, I'd keep him if the offers floated so far are the best they can do by March 21. Though I'd have to assume they'll get higher as we get closer.

Reactions: VancouverJagger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad