Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
With the Blues signing Sundqvist to a 4yr * 2.75AAV is that about what we are looking at for a comparable? They mostly play a similar role, E-Rod's underlying numbers are a bit better, Sundqvist is younger and had a break out year so you are paying a bit for potential.

EDIT: I just realized Zemgus26 beat me to it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sundqvist just put up 31 points last year and got 4 years, 11m (2.75m AAV)

Gotta think that is a good comparable if we sign ERod to a term like that.
He actually scored 40 points last year and was instrumental in helping the Blues win the cup. I think his playoff performance bumped his AAV up by about $500K.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
He actually scored 40 points last year and was instrumental in helping the Blues win the cup. I think his playoff performance bumped his AAV up by about $500K.

That is a fair point. Although ERod has a bit more production to show than him from previous years.

Either way, I think he is a good comparable. For 4 years, I think what Sundqvist got is the upper end of what we could expect ERod to get. In that 2.5-2.75m range.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Erod has been a warrior for the Sabres during a very difficult time, but he's not great at particularly anything. PK and third center out of necessity on a bad team, but where does he fit on an upgraded roster? Getting him as cheap as possible as long as possible just increases his value when they move on from him. He would be a very compelling dealine depth trade or expansion target.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Erod has been a warrior for the Sabres during a very difficult time, but he's not great at particularly anything. PK and third center out of necessity on a bad team, but where does he fit on an upgraded roster? Getting him as cheap as possible as long as possible just increases his value when they move on from him. He would be a very compelling dealine depth trade or expansion target.
He's not great at anything, but he's good at everything...

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He's not great at anything, but he's good at everything...
I just see him as someone plugging holes until better talent is developed from within. I've enjoyed him as a player, not going to lie, but he may be a roster spot that could see an upgrade.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Unsung hero in all of this is Phil Housley, who shrewdly played Erod with Sheary, Sobotka, and Okposo the most to lower his value in a contract year. Don't forget scratching him early in the season too, which prevented him from being top 6 in terms of our forwards' scoring.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I just see him as someone plugging holes until better talent is developed from within. I've enjoyed him as a player, not going to lie, but he may be a roster spot that could see an upgrade.
I think CJ smith is a "plug holes" kind of guy.

Part of the reason people are so high on Erod is because he does so many things well but isnt flashy and isn't going to get paid a ton. A true Erod upgrade would consist of paying someone more than makes sense given our high-end contracts.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
McCurdy's model rates him as an average shooter, definitely the weak part of his game. But with better linemates I think he could get up to high teens in goals.

I don't have much of a problem with his shot, he places it extremely well. It's not the hardest and has a bit of an elongated windup, but it works.

His only weakness in my book is his instinct to go to the HD areas in the offensive zone; he's perhaps our most perimeter-based player. That works fine if he's complimenting the right kind of wingers, but if you stick him out there with Sheary and other similar players, it make the opposing goalie's day way too easy.

Now, a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's not the thickest guy in the world, so getting to the net isn't the easiest task for someone of his size. But I do wonder if the coaching change and new offensive zone strategy helps his line generate offense more consistently.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
With whom, at what cost? Please give some examples.
"Extremely" does not mean "easily".

It's not one-for-one player from a statistical profile perspective, nor am I saying the sabres should do so now. But they will (hopefully) soon have to find players to move out that have value from their bottom 6 for players with higher upside coming in from the farm on ELC. This is the model.

If you simply do an inventory of players that could potentially slot into an NHL roster that aren't guaranteed a spot (Asplund, CJ Smith, Thompson, Cozens, Ruotsalainen, Olefesson), dead weight players they can't get rid of (Sobotka, Okposo, Sheary), moving a guy like Rodrigues could offer some value from a return perspective (if he has the right contract) in the form of a pick or different type of role player.

We haven't even seen training camp or pre-season yet. There could be other players knocking. This roster is also soft-as-charmin' and you have to wonder how they may address that issue in the bottom 6.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The player side has filed at $2.65M, and the team side has filed at $1.5M. The resulting midpoint for the case is $2.075M.

trade his rights, i like erod but he isn't a $2m+ a season player
For term he is.

Just about anywhere. I long for the day when ERod is the 13th best forward on the Sabres. That's still a couple years down the road.

Players I'd upgrade before ERod:
Sobotka
Okposo
Sheary
Wilson
and I'd play ERod over Thompson until the cows come home.
He's extremely replaceable. I'm not saying don't sign him, I'm just saying don't get too attached.
easier said than done

If players like him are a dime a dozen why do we have a roster filled with forwards who are worse? If guys like him were so easy to get why do we have tons of guys who are worse?
Exactly.

If I'm BUF, I offer 1 x $1.5, or 2 x $2.1, or 3 x $2.4. I'd go to $2.75 for a 3-4 yr deal.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
one thing against a long term deal is he then could become VERY attractive to Seattle in the expansion draft

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Unsung hero in all of this is Phil Housley, who shrewdly played Erod with Sheary, Sobotka, and Okposo the most to lower his value in a contract year. Don't forget scratching him early in the season too, which prevented him from being top 6 in terms of our forwards' scoring.
#sleepgate lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad