Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I don't think ERod's NHL tenure will make enough difference to keep his arb award below $2.0M/yr, which I believe is your contention / demarcation from earlier in this thread.

After roughly the same number of NHL games played, I am far more willing to award ERod >/= $2M per, than I was to award Jack Eichel $10M per (beginning 1 year later).

All that said, and assuming they don't settle between now and tomorrow afternoon, regardless of the award amount, the Sabres should elect 2 years.
I think both sides requested 1 year. So I don’t the arbitrator is going to award 2 years. That also would walk Rodrigues right to UFA.

Also the team doesn’t pick, it’s whatever the arbitrator decides.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think both sides requested 1 year. So I don’t the arbitrator is going to award 2 years. That also would walk Rodrigues right to UFA.

Also the team doesn’t pick, it’s whatever the arbitrator decides.
The arbitrator does not decide how long the deal is. Whichever party did not file for arbitration decides whether or not they want a one or two year deal as part of the brief that they submit. A two year deal cannot be chosen (by either party) if the player is one year away from free agency.

Since Rodrigues filed for arbitration, the Sabres got to determine whether it was a one or two year deal. However, they have already made that decision.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lets not forget the biggest difference.

Andrew Copp, 12:10 a game, 11th among Jets forwards

ERod 15:49 a game, 4th among Sabres forwards

I would hope ERod would outscore Copp, considering one gets 4th line minutes and the other gets top 6 minutes.

3:30 more a game. That is a gigantic difference. I don't mind ERod and he will likely be the 3C this year. But he is nothing special. He isn't irreplaceable and honestly I want a far better player then Erod being the highest player forward outside the big 3. With the addition of MarJo,Olofsson and Mitts developed another year ERod should see closer to 13 minutes a game then 16. Erod getting 13 minutes a night I don't mind. But if he's getting 16 minutes a night again he simply has to produce more.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Lets not forget the biggest difference.

Andrew Copp, 12:10 a game, 11th among Jets forwards

ERod 15:49 a game, 4th among Sabres forwards

I would hope ERod would outscore Copp, considering one gets 4th line minutes and the other gets top 6 minutes.

3:30 more a game. That is a gigantic difference. I don't mind ERod and he will likely be the 3C this year. But he is nothing special. He isn't irreplaceable and honestly I want a far better player then Erod being the highest player forward outside the big 3. With the addition of MarJo,Olofsson and Mitts developed another year ERod should see closer to 13 minutes a game then 16. Erod getting 13 minutes a night I don't mind. But if he's getting 16 minutes a night again he simply has to produce more.
Most common linemates: Sheary, Sobotka, Okposo

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
The arbitrator does not decide how long the deal is. Whichever party did not file for arbitration decides whether or not they want a one or two year deal as part of the brief that they submit. A two year deal cannot be chosen (by either party) if the player is one year away from free agency.

Since Rodrigues filed for arbitration, the Sabres got to determine whether it was a one or two year deal. However, they have already made that decision.
Good to know, cheers.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

And the Sabres will surely select a one year contract as he will become a UFA after the 20-21 season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Erod will be a Sabre next season so there is that.

Seems Botts is very reluctant to extend anyone outside of the top guys like Jack and Skinner. Even his ”bigger” free agent signings (Hutton/MoJo) have been relatively modest in term and AAV.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Erod will be a Sabre next season so there is that.

Seems Botts is very reluctant to extend anyone outside of the top guys like Jack and Skinner. Even his ”bigger” free agent signings (Hutton/MoJo) have been relatively modest in term and AAV.

That's generally a good idea with UFA because those players are at ages of decline. But if you're always doing that with young guys when you have control (RFA), you'll miss out on opportunities to lock up undervalued good players in bargain contracts, like Reinhart a year ago.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Probably the way it should be until some group of players beyond the top guys become productive and emerge as long term core pieces. The only misfire so far has been Reinhart, but him proving what a great player he is was always a good problem to have.

Reactions: joshjull

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The assumption that Reinhart was going to willingly sign a long term deal for less than market value - in other words betting against himself... Is probably the biggest myth currently doing the rounds on this forum.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The assumption that Reinhart was going to willingly sign a long term deal for less than market value - in other words betting against himself... Is probably the biggest myth currently doing the rounds on this forum.
None of us are saying he should have signed for less than market value.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Unless it's a situation like Copp's, anyway....
What happened with Copp....his hearing was on the 21st and the arbitrator came back with a number 48 hours later. Maybe I'm missing something?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Probably the way it should be until some group of players beyond the top guys become productive and emerge as long term core pieces. The only misfire so far has been Reinhart, but him proving what a great player he is was always a good problem to have.

Or they appear to be guys that will have productive years ahead, not necessarily as core pieces, but solid pieces that you could tie up for a team friendly deal, but that would require your team to be able to determine which players those are.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Or they appear to be guys that will have productive years ahead, not necessarily as core pieces, but solid pieces that you could tie up for a team friendly deal, but that would require your team to be able to determine which players those are.

Bolded the key, and still very much up to question.

Reinhart bridge was not great for the team (yes nobody knows what he was asking for), and Larsson deal also smacks of lack of foresight on a valuable but "lesser" player (yes nobody knows if he was willing to go longer term).

ERod as well obviously, but mitigated by him still being RFA after the 1 year award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad