Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hope they get it done at around 2-2.25M per year at 4 years. We need more swiss army knife type players like ERod to fill out the forward depth.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Those aren't crazy numbers so term must be an issue. The Sabres must be content to walk away from an arb ruling with a one or two year deal, but erod is looking for more term.

@dotcommunism can add the relevant details, but I believe that teams have to request a two year award prior to the hearing for eligible players (cannot buy a UFA year with an arb award though). But they might not be able to walk away if the $$ comes in low enough (not sure what the threshold is currently). This happened with Tim Kennedy: he got an award in arbitration that the team didn't like but was under the walk-away limit, so they bought him out instead (the arbitration triggered another buyout window, and because of his age the buyout cost was only 1/3 the contract instead of 2/3).

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
@dotcommunism can add the relevant details, but I believe that teams have to request a two year award prior to the hearing for eligible players (cannot buy a UFA year with an arb award though). But they might not be able to walk away if the $$ comes in low enough (not sure what the threshold is currently). This happened with Tim Kennedy: he got an award in arbitration that the team didn't like but was under the walk-away limit, so they bought him out instead (the arbitration triggered another buyout window, and because of his age the buyout cost was only 1/3 the contract instead of 2/3).
Team has to accept if it is 3.5mil a year or lower.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Interesting info:
Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period: Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award
Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $3,455,438 for the 2019 offseason
Sobotka has a cap hit of $3.5 million.

Reactions: kenfury

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
On the first point, whether a deal is one or two years must be elected as part of the brief submitted by the party which did not file for arbitration. So yes, term must be elected prior to the actual arbitration hearing.
As for walk-away rights, I'm pretty sure this year a team only has walk-away rights if an arbitration award comes in at over about $4.4M per year.

That said, I don't believe that the post you are quoting is talking about a team's walk-away rights. I think he means that the Sabres are content to get Rodrigues signed to a one or two year deal.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
The player side has filed at $2.65M, and the team side has filed at $1.5M. The resulting midpoint for the case is $2.075M.

trade his rights, i like erod but he isn't a $2m+ a season player

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
The player side has filed at $2.65M, and the team side has filed at $1.5M. The resulting midpoint for the case is $2.075M.

trade his rights, i like erod but he isn't a $2m+ a season player
the term can only be 1 or 2 years....not really a big deal cap wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad