Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Disappointing that this ended up at arbitration. I wonder if Botts was trying to get him locked in for 3+ years at an AAV around ERod's one-year ask. He's a solid RW3 moving forward. Let's hope this doesn't poison the relationship.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Disappointing that this ended up at arbitration. I wonder if Botts was trying to get him locked in for 3+ years at an AAV around ERod's one-year ask. He's a solid RW3 moving forward. Let's hope this doesn't poison the relationship.

I think Botts understands ERods contributions thus far in the NHL and was being completely realistic and ERod's agent has some false sense of value.

ERod should be on a one/two year deal under 2 million a year.

That is the type of contract he should get after one mediocre season in NHL.

Reactions: Grinder81

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Botts understands ERods contributions thus far in the NHL and was being completely realistic and ERod's agent has some false sense of value.

ERod should be on a one/two year deal under 2 million a year.

That is the type of contract he should get after one mediocre season in NHL.

These negotiations are about comparables. ERod's ask is 3.25% of this year's Cap - and, remember, that's his ask, which was likely contemplated with the idea that he would settle for something less than that on a one-year deal. The organization's filing is 1.85% of this year's Cap - and, again, that number is likely contemplated with the understanding that they'd settle for a slightly higher number on a one-year deal. Even setting aside the likely mutual understanding that settlement would require movement from both parties, ERod's ask is hardly inconsistent with his comparables.

The following are RFA forwards that ERod's camp is likely pointing to as his comparables, their points/game over the previous two seasons, and the percentage of their respective cap hit in the first season of the deal.

Ryan Strome - .48 pts/game, 3.9% of Cap
Evan Rodrigues - .44 pts/game, ?
Devin Shore - .39 pts/game, 2.9% of Cap
Andre Burakovsky - .38 pts/game, 3.99% of Cap
Radek Faksa - .38 pts/game, 2.67% of Cap
Connor Brown - .35 pts/game, 2.8% of Cap

Looking at that list, is a 3.25% ask - not even what his agent expected to settle for - that out of line with his comparables? I think the clear answer is no, and that's without exploring ERod's positive advanced stats vis-a-vis some of those other guys who don't have good advanced numbers. If ERod's agent was hoping to settle at 3% ($2.445) or even 2.75% ($2.240), which are more than fair in light of his comparables, those numbers are still on his side of the road relative to the team's offer. Let's be clear: this case going to arbitration is more about a lowball one-year offer from the team than it is about an unrealistic ask by the player's camp.

If you don't like the player, fine. But the ask is not out line with the market.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Does anyone know what time the hearing is/was at?

I’m starting to think it may have actually gone to the hearing seeing as it’s 5pm and we haven’t heard of any deal.

Was hoping it wouldn’t get that far, but oh well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Pretty much in the middle. Also, the guy has way more consistent production than ERod. Don't think ERod will see a 2 in front of his salary next year.

Copp
2017-18: 28 pts in 82 games
2018-19: 25 pts in 69 games (nice) [29.7 pts/82 games pace)

ERod:
2017-18: 25 pts in 48 games (42.7 pts/82 games pace)
2018-19: 29 pts in 72 games (32.1 pts/82 games pace)

Copp's production has been more "consistent" insofar as his per 82 games points numbers have been very similar. But his production has also been worse than ERod's.

I'm expecting ERod to come in around $2.15 MM (the second year for Copp likely increased the AAV). But, again, if ERod was going to settle for $2.4, was it really worth going to hearing over $250k, or 0.3% of the overall salary cap - on a roster that continues to be infested by the likes of Okposo, Sobotka, and Scandella?

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Does anyone know what time the hearing is/was at?

I’m starting to think it may have actually gone to the hearing seeing as it’s 5pm and we haven’t heard of any deal.

Was hoping it wouldn’t get that far, but oh well.
9am in Toronto and yes he was there

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I believe the arbitration ruling can take up to 48 hours from the hearing. Once it's delivered it's binding, but they can reach their own agreement at any time up to that.

I hope the ruling is delivered in one of those big colorful envelopes like the Oscars.

Reactions: Dingo44

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I believe the arbitration ruling can take up to 48 hours from the hearing. Once it's delivered it's binding, but they can reach their own agreement at any time up to that.

I hope the ruling is delivered in one of those big colorful envelopes like the Oscars.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's just an e-mail.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
They should have the arbitrator do a video announcement like the stupid player safety videos.
It's honestly not the worst idea, make it public and justify why player X got Y amount for Z years.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
They should have the arbitrator do a video announcement like the stupid player safety videos.

It's honestly not the worst idea, make it public and justify why player X got Y amount for Z years.
Youll-get-nothing-and-like-it.png

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Copp
2017-18: 28 pts in 82 games
2018-19: 25 pts in 69 games (nice) [29.7 pts/82 games pace)

ERod:
2017-18: 25 pts in 48 games (42.7 pts/82 games pace)
2018-19: 29 pts in 72 games (32.1 pts/82 games pace)

Copp's production has been more "consistent" insofar as his per 82 games points numbers have been very similar. But his production has also been worse than ERod's.

I'm expecting ERod to come in around $2.15 MM (the second year for Copp likely increased the AAV). But, again, if ERod was going to settle for $2.4, was it really worth going to hearing over $250k, or 0.3% of the overall salary cap - on a roster that continues to be infested by the likes of Okposo, Sobotka, and Scandella?

Copp has 4 years in the NHL, ERod 1 and a half. That will make a huge difference. We still have no idea what ERod is about. Look at Girgensons first two years in NHL.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Or a judge Judy half hour TV show. They both give their cases, and Judy picks the number at the end of the show

Reactions: joshjull

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Copp has 4 years in the NHL, ERod 1 and a half. That will make a huge difference. We still have no idea what ERod is about. Look at Girgensons first two years in NHL.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. 2.5ish million seems extremely fair for a 3C who plays 2nd PP and the PK.

Maybe you are suggesting under the right coaching staff he could be better then we think?

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Or a judge Judy half hour TV show. They both give their cases, and Judy picks the number at the end of the show
I wonder how this is done in the mind of an arbitrator. In baseball they pick the players $ or the Teams. let say Player A is asking for 10 Mil but the team thinks he is worth 7. IF the arbitrator thinks he is worth 8.7 do they side with the player because it is closer or the team because he isn't worth the 10 mil.

just an interesting thought.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't think ERod's NHL tenure will make enough difference to keep his arb award below $2.0M/yr, which I believe is your contention / demarcation from earlier in this thread.

After roughly the same number of NHL games played, I am far more willing to award ERod >/= $2M per, than I was to award Jack Eichel $10M per (beginning 1 year later).

All that said, and assuming they don't settle between now and tomorrow afternoon, regardless of the award amount, the Sabres should elect 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad