Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I know GAR is far from perfect, but I looked around the league and ERod would have been one of the 6 most valuable forwards on pretty much every team. He's definitely not easily replaceable.
GAR is very far from perfect as evidenced by Erod’s being better than Jack’s.

Which leads me to believe where Erod ranks on other teams isn’t telling us much.

I like him and want him re-signed but I don’t think we need to get carried away

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If ERod (or a player of his ilk) is the 13th best forward on your team......your team is a Cup contender.

There aren't too many teams in the league (if any) right now where ERod would be a consistent healthy scratch.
If ERod is your 13th forward you probably have the best forward core since the O6 era. Even Tampa has at best 8 or 9 better forwards.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If ERod (or a player of his ilk) is the 13th best forward on your team......your team is a Cup contender.

There aren't too many teams in the league (if any) right now where ERod would be a consistent healthy scratch.
That was the point of my post, and a poke at others who feel he should not be extended for term if possible, or "upgraded because it's easy to do that".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope they can get something in the neighborhood of 3 years done for him, but that doesn't seem to be Botterill's style thus far. It would be a departure, even if something splitting the two offers and then reaching into UFA years might be completely worthwhile for the team. He has utility that benefits the team, just don't go too high on the deal to allow them future depth flexibility.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
I'd wager a lot of the dissatisfaction with Erod from fans just comes from him being on the team and not being flashy during some of our worst years. I totally get it and am guilty of that myself sometimes. But, if there was a 30+ point, defensively-sound, able to move around the lineup UFA out there from another team who we could sign for ~ $2.5m we'd probably all be jumping at it. I get wanting to jettison players after many years of losing but we have far worse players making far more money than Erod.

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
Let me preface this by saying I’d like to see Erod signed for a 2/3 year deal.

I think the general dissatisfaction is just around the discussion of the bottom six. It’s been trash for awhile, which is pretty commonly accepted. Larry and Girgs sign new deals and defenders talk about how good they were with shot suppression and the PK. Everyone knows Okposo’s deal is bad but people say time and again he’s fine on the fourth line and isn’t going to hurt the team. Yes we’d like to get out of his deal but it’s not realistic right now. Now people are talking about Erods underlying numbers and how good they are.

So that’s four of the six back and none of those four are the problem with the bottom six? The way people talk about them on an individual basis says they aren’t yet the combined results get universally panned?

Apparently just Sobotka is the problem with the bottom six even though the production from there has been bad for years?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I think the general dissatisfaction is just around the discussion of the bottom six. It’s been trash for awhile, which is pretty commonly accepted. Larry and Girgs sign new deals and defenders talk about how good they were with shot suppression and the PK. Everyone knows Okposo’s deal is bad but people say time and again he’s fine on the fourth line and isn’t going to hurt the team. Yes we’d like to get out of his deal but it’s not realistic right now. Now people are talking about Erods underlying numbers and how good they are.

So that’s four of the six back and none of those four are the problem with the bottom six? The way people talk about them on an individual basis says they aren’t yet the combined results get universally panned?

Apparently just Sobotka is the problem with the bottom six even though the production from there has been bad for years?
I have no idea where you get the idea that the bottom six was the issue. The middle six was the issue, especially the complete absence of a 2nd line...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Our problem isn't just bottom 6, it's actually bottom 9. Having a terrible second line is the biggest thing that has killed this team.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
ERod has forever been under rated.

I'd like a longer term deal but something close to 2x2 also works well. If he deserves a decent raise after those two years it's a good problem to have.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

I think most would agree our first line and fourth line were the only redeemable things coming out of the Sabres squad last year. It was the middle six that did absolutely nothing all year, and that needs to be fixed ASAP.

See a little bit of a boost with Johansson and maybe get something out of Vesey. Add that to hopefully a solid offseason of training and adding strength from Mittelstadt, and a "good underlying numbers" guy like ERod. And hope something somewhere clicks.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think most would agree our first line and fourth line were the only redeemable things coming out of the Sabres squad last year. It was the middle six that did absolutely nothing all year, and that needs to be fixed ASAP.

See a little bit of a boost with Johansson and maybe get something out of Vesey. Add that to hopefully a solid offseason of training and adding strength from Mittelstadt, and a "good underlying numbers" guy like ERod. And hope something somewhere clicks.

Every time I hear something click, it's because it just broke.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd wager a lot of the dissatisfaction with Erod from fans just comes from him being on the team and not being flashy during some of our worst years. I totally get it and am guilty of that myself sometimes. But, if there was a 30+ point, defensively-sound, able to move around the lineup UFA out there from another team who we could sign for ~ $2.5m we'd probably all be jumping at it. I get wanting to jettison players after many years of losing but we have far worse players making far more money than Erod.

At the time of his signing a pervasive sentiment was that it was to appease Eichel. Even members of the media hinted and danced around the subject. I think that detracted from Rodrigues receiving the respect as a hockey player he was due.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

I think you can add Olofsson into that middle six improvement discussion. Either because he is in the middle six or Reinhart is pushed down.

XXX - 2C
Mittelstadt - new and improved.
Olofsson / Reinhart
Vesey
Johansson
Erod / Sheary

The critical piece as we all know is the 2C which could make or break any playoff aspirations.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
At the time of his signing a pervasive sentiment was that it was to appease Eichel. Even members of the media hinted and danced around the subject. I think that detracted from Rodrigues receiving the respect as a hockey player he was due.
I think he got the same respect that Oglevie, CJ Smith, and others in a similar phase of their career received.

He currently is not the player they signed. The fact that he carved out an NHL career for himself is testament to the hard work he put in and his ability to adapt.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Any idea what time the meeting is scheduled for? And time frame around when we'd hear something?

Assuming of course that they don't do a last minute deal.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
So I didn't know that the arbitrator has to pick one or the other. I thought they could do a middle ground. Jeremy White this morning said he will get his want or the Sabres want.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
So I didn't know that the arbitrator has to pick one or the other. I thought they could do a middle ground. Jeremy White this morning said he will get his want or the Sabres want.

huh? That doesn't sound right. Everything I've read said the arbiter can set something anywhere between the two.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm imagining the arbitrator coming out and saying "Evan was one of roughly a half dozen players on the Sabres roster who wasn't basically stealing money last season, therefore I'm ruling in favor of the team".

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There's a good chance teams might have wanted him, but it was he who chose to play with jack.

That should be factored into Jack's WAR. No jack no erod

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
White is wrong. Surprised? I didn't think so... ;)

huh? That doesn't sound right. Everything I've read said the arbiter can set something anywhere between the two.
NHL Arbitrator can decide something in between, and usually does. Also, after the hearing itself the two parties can continue to negotiate and potentially settle until the arbiter announces the award decision, which is supposed to come within 48 hours after the arbitration hearing.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
White is wrong. Surprised? I didn't think so... ;)

NHL Arbitrator can decide something in between, and usually does. Also, after the hearing itself the two parties can continue to negotiate and potentially settle until the arbiter announces the award decision, which is supposed to come within 48 hours after the arbitration hearing.

Not surprised at all. He surprised me because that is what they do it baseball and I thought hockey was different.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Did we have any Sabres players go to arbitration last year? Who was the last one to go to arbitration?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad