Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I still think Oksanen might have more pro potential because of his shot and size, but Rodrigues brings hockey sense and high compete level.
“You don’t have 60-plus points and not be a huge reason why we’re in the situation we’re in,†said second-year coach David Quinn. “He’s made so many clutch plays, might be our best penalty killer. And he’s the most intelligent college hockey player I’ve ever seen.â€

Asked for examples, Quinn noted the winning goal against Duluth, when Rodrigues patiently waited for an opponent to fly past him before unleashing the shot.

He also recalled the Beanpot opener against Harvard on Feb. 3. After the Terriers tied the score at 3 with less than a minute left in the second period, BU had the puck in the offensive zone with the clock winding down, and put a shot on net that was blocked by Harvard goalie Steve Michalek. The puck was deflected toward the boards, and as Rodrigues raced toward it, he turned his head around to steal a look at the time remaining.

“You know how many college players would do that? Zero,†Quinn said. “I rewinded it three times and I’m like, ‘Look at this, he’s looking at the clock.’ That’s NHL intelligence.â€

Whether Rodrigues gets the opportunity to use that intelligence in the NHL remains to be seen. No team holds his rights, making him a free agent as soon as BU’s season is over. Clubs might wish he were a little bigger (5 feet 11 inches, 176 pounds), but size doesn’t always tell someone’s story.

“Someone’s going to sign him,†said Quinn. “He’s going to play in the National Hockey League.

“I don’t know how long, but he’s going to play a game in the NHL. What he does with it, I don’t know. But someone’s going to call him up, because he’s too good of a player not to get a crack at the NHL.â€
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-satisfying/d3EJBHS1BoWsLLUZg1fhbI/story.html

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
That's pretty high praise. Hopefully he comes close to justifying it
Also noted by Grier was that Evan was the go-to guy on BU when they needed a goal, and was critical in their NCAA run and bean-pot championship. It's hard for me to be objective about this player as I watched BU all year, but I thought this was a great pickup. Looking forward to seeing what he does in Rochester and if he can push for call-up to the big club this season.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
hoping for a good bottom 6 player with a scoring touch and knack for a tough goal...expecting that to be ambitious.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Undrafted college free agents almost never make it in the NHL. Each year, different fan bases get excited about Player X who scored a bunch in his senior season, but once training camp comes around, it’s obvious they are bound for the minors. There have been a few exceptions to the rule a la Martin St. Louis, Chris Kunitz and Torey Krug, but they are an incredible minority.

So when the Buffalo Sabres signed Boston University forward and Jack Eichel linemate Evan Rodrigues, it was natural to think he was inked because of the Eichel connection. Consider that pre-Eichel, Rodrigues had only scored 19 goals in three seasons, then put in 21 during his senior season while playing alongside the Hobey Baker winner.

But from development camp to the prospects tournament to NHL training camp, Rodrigues has proven that the Sabres’ decision to sign him was more than just a favor to their No. 2 overall pick. Rodrigues can play.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
IMO he will be the first call up. If they need a Center then Cal may get the call up before Evan. The only reason I don't think Cal will see to much time in the NHL is because the sabres are so deep at his position. Half the forwards are natural centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad