Player Discussion Evan Rodrigues (2015 via UFA) – '18-19 Buffalo (NHL)

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Looks like he was doing really well at the end of the season. Was his production sustainable or was he just getting lucky?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
If it is a 1 year deal I expect it to come in sub-2m.

But ideally, we get him for 3-4 in the upper end of ERods ask.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think his ask is high at all... This contract should have been wrapped up months ago.

Yeah, I agree that this should have been done and but I'm hopeful that he finally starts to put his forward depth in order. No more Sobotka types, more ERod types, pleaseandthankyou.

Reactions: Baccus

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Those aren't crazy numbers so term must be an issue. The Sabres must be content to walk away from an arb ruling with a one or two year deal, but erod is looking for more term.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Players who put the puck in the net get paid. This will result in players like ERod getting paid less.

2.65 is way too much for him. What could CJ Smith do with his role?

Reactions: allsilverdreams

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Those aren't crazy number so term must be an issue. The Sabres must be content to walk away from an arb ruling with a one or two year deal, but erod is looking for more term.

You can't get term in arbitration, unless the recently changed something.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
You can't get term in arbitration, unless the recently changed something.

Often times the team and player settle right before arbitration, since there's some risk involved for each side. It's completely reasonable that they settle on a deal, possibly with longer term, before the hearing begins.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Players who put the puck in the net get paid. This will result in players like ERod getting paid less.

Players who positively impact the game on both ends and in every situation don't get paid as much but are just as valuable. I understand this team has lacked quality shooters for a long time, but there are other things that also matter.

Reactions: Baccus

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I'll be watching the Copp decision pretty closely, you'd be hard pressed to find a better comparable (contractually, not stylistically).

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Players who positively impact the game on both ends and in every situation don't get paid as much but are just as valuable. I understand this team has lacked quality shooters for a long time, but there are other things that also matter.

Tangible results are becoming so expensive that around the entire NHL, these bottom 9 players will suffer. The middle class in NHL is dying.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Considering Smith has never played center in his career, And Erod's role is looking like middle six center right about now, not well I think.

I love CJ Smith, but not in ERod's role.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
ERod is 2 years to UFA, right? I wonder if the hang up has been him wanting a deal that gets him to RFA and the Sabres wanting a one year deal to retain his rights into the next contract.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Exactly, so how is Erod looking for more term in arbitration when that's impossible to award?
I believe they can sign a deal of any length right now.

It’s only after they go through with the actual arbitration hearing and the arbitrator assigns a value ($) to ERod.

Then (since erod is the one who filed) buffalo gets to choose between 1 or 2 years term.

But they can sign a deal at any term they want up to the point the arbitrator makes his ruling. Even after the arbitration hearing as long as it’s before the arbitrator rules.

Edit - like Trouba for example, he filed for arbitration and just signed a 7 year deal with the NYR.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad