Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
GYB is the best podcast by far IMO. Listen to it the next day after every game.

All of them know what they're talking about and all of them are capable of providing a nuanced view of the topic at hand including two guys with significant NHL experience. They don't always agree either which yields some interesting conversation. For anyone that hasn't listened to it yet I highly recommend it.
Rob brown was an amazing addition love him on the post game on cheds but don't know how popular that is

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
Wasn't EST taking pot shots at the broadcast quality of 1440 a few weeks ago?

The way I see it is I don't know how all of 1440, EST and an influx of podcasts can co-exist together when the consolidates 1260 platform wasn't deemed viable. Maybe there is a non-financial consideration for why 1260 is no more that I don't know of, but on the surface it seems apparent that somebody is going to have to lose eventually.
I'm assuming operating a radio station is more expensive then a simple podcast just can't be cheap to get a radio station license and 1260 is owned by money crunching bell, the local guys can cut costs easier if they want to keep it afloat, they don't need to make revenue targets approved by some person in Toronto anymore
I don't know about "pot shots", but they have mentioned several times how they come in "crystal clear" which is definitely a snide remark on 1440.

The thing about podcasts though is they are cheap. EST has what - 4-5 guys on the payroll (Dusty LTE, Iwanyk, Gazzola, maybe Youtube Trev)? Livestreaming on the internet itself costs almost nothing. The talent itself produces their own content.

Bell closed down TSN 1290 in Winnipeg 2-3 years ago, but Winnipeg Sports Talk is going quite strong (though on an even leaner budget - only 2 guys).

1440 - Gregor is basically renting the station from its owners. But given how it was previously broadcasting oldies out of Wetaskiwin it can't have been making much money. Dusty at one point mentioned off-hand it would cost "hundreds of thousands" of dollars to get his show on the radio, so that at least gives us a rough ballpark.

So the costs of broadcast radio are higher than livestreaming, but it's certainly possible that it's cheaper to do at 1440 than 1260. 1260 was owned by Bell, an enormous national company, with all of the costs that might come with that. 1440 (call letters CKJR) is owned by another national company, Stingray Radio, but all it's stations all seem to be rather, how to say it, low-budget, so it's quite possible they can run a station more cheaply than Bell.

So I dunno for sure. I guess I would be most worried about the 1440 podcasts, just because they need to cover the cost of the transmitter, but I suspect Gregor knew what he was getting into. The EST guys, they might have gone too big with running multiple shows, a physical office (don't most podcasters work out of a home office), but again I think they know what they're doing.
I think they got the office as their shows are more on the personal level especially Dustin show

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Lots of people may not like him... but I like listening to Spec as a guest... he's got very good knowledge of the game and what's going on. I also think Kevin Karius has gotten better over time.
Agreed re. Spector. I'll take your word for it re. Karius. It makes sense that he would improve as a radio host as he gained experience. At this point, there's a bunch of shows/podcasts out there available between 7 and 11 am that I simply enjoy more than KK who's always seemed a bit blah to me: The Nielson Show, EST Hangout, Got Yer Back, Jim Rome, Ray & Dregs.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Who is this woman they threw onto the radio on 1440 this morning. She just had the most insightful question for Spector

"the coach. I mean, does he want to win now .. Win long term?what do you think?

Just riveting stuff

Reactions: Sanchez

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Who else is enjoying the cat fight between the Peel, the Spec and the Frank?
Tim Peel actually was hired by Seravelli and DFO back in 2021 if I recall listening to one of their podcasts. He came on for one of their pods in an introductory manner. Then he never resurfaced for any other on air work that I can recall. Obviously they had some type of falling out.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Tim Peel actually was hired by Seravelli and DFO back in 2021 if I recall listening to one of their podcasts. He came on for one of their pods in an introductory manner. Then he never resurfaced for any other on air work that I can recall. Obviously they had some type of falling out.

Maybe Tim drunk messaged Frank something unsanitary

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Who else is enjoying the cat fight between the Peel, the Spec and the Frank?
We all know that Spec is annoying, and that his question was repetitive, but based on how we play, it was and still is a fair question. Because we don't walk the talk. We keep saying we need to play the right way but we never do, so the question keeps getting asked. You don't want the question to be asked over and over again, then back your shit up and start playing a 200 ft game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We all know that Spec is annoying, and that his question was repetitive, but based on how we play, it was and still is a fair question. Because we don't walk the talk. We keep saying we need to play the right way but we never do, so the question keeps getting asked. You don't want the question to be asked over and over again, then back your shit up and start playing a 200 ft game.

I hate Spector, but I agree that in this case that I don't mind him being a needling dick. Somebody has to do it and it appears they struggle to identify the problems by themselves.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Peel should just stick with confirming that he helped to fix games while a ref in the NHL.
The guy actually has a non hockey career, on his LinkedIn. Can’t imagine what his employer thinks. The guy seems to be unhinged and lacking the ability to have a filter and use it. Oh well, that’s his deal not ours!!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Do some people also notice every year when Bob Stauffer picks his breakout player they just have a brutal season his player assessments are just awful, this season was McLeod, every year he misses by a mile some past years were Caggiula, and just look at his love for Anderson lol 20 games 2 assists
he wanted the Oilers to send big assets to attain him, Oiler players should beg him not to pick them every summer

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Do some people also notice every year when Bob Stauffer picks his breakout player they just have a brutal season his player assessments are just awful, this season was McLeod, every year he misses by a mile some past years were Caggiula, and just look at his love for Anderson lol 20 games 2 assists
he wanted the Oilers to send big assets to attain him, Oiler players should beg him not to pick them every summer

This makes me afraid considering he's been banging the Knoblauch drum for years.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

It's just hoping that players who aren't that good but still young enough to improve, improve. Often they don't in Edmonton.

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
I'm still waiting for Jesse to become Wheeler

Reactions: VainGretzky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad