Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The boys are spot on once again. I liked how they focused on Specters question to Woody where he asked about accountability. It was an excellent question.
That is a major problem on this team...there is clearly no accountability for these players so we see the same shit over and over again.
The best players on this team run the team. The inmates are indeed running the assylum and its a disaster. Woody isnt strong enough with this group.

Reactions: MessierII

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A part of me would love to see limited media in the locker room and scrums. Canada is hockey crazy but it must be so bloody annoying to deal with some of these guys, including the 3 above.
Just like the media is demanding accountability from the coaches and players (which is fine), would be nice if they had the same system in place for themselves. If you ask too many stupid questions too many games in a row, you have to sit out a few pressers to think about your stupidity, and what you have to do to improve. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Listened to that podcast and I think Shaugger is right on. Woody needs to start benching some guys who are continually making the same type of mistakes or not giving the proper effort, whether it's Dylan Holloway, Connor McDavid, Leon Drsaisaitl , Evan Bouchard, etc, etc. And only for a couple shifts or so, not a whole period or game or whatever. Just to send a message. Unfortunately, we really have no other options for getting their attention due to our GM's wonderful management. And my own opinion, is that this group simply do not respect Woodcroft. Not the kind of lack where they tell him to piss off or something like that. But the fact that he's young for the profession, this is his first gig, etc, and there isn't the type of track record of success at this level for him, other than the hot streak last season. He keeps preaching for them to stop doing stuff, etc, etc ad naseum, but they keep doing it. There is no fear of benching, no fear of being sent down, no nothing. I don't want him screaming or yelling, because I don't think that will solve anything. If he was a seasoned coach with a huge successful record, I doubt there would be some guys pulling this shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

I mean he is a hockey nerd. He has to look up everything on his computer during his podcast because he doesn’t know any stats or even players positions usually. Kinda funny to be so involved with hockey that you write about it, have a podcast and don’t even know the position prominent star players play without tapping away on the keyboard.

Anyway I’m not a big fan of Staples, he’s a crybaby nerd

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Can you imagine g the media wasnt mean to the oil?
ya think they could take down the Fins, the worst NHL team in 20 years.
Poor Drai. Ya think hell man up and be interviewed?

I feel obligated to post this.

Such strength. Such honor.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Luke Gazdik chimes in with Oilersnation....

Man I love Luke. Great upbeat guy, articulate and empathetic (aka Oilers homer too haha). Has the having played credibility to diagnose and walk us outsiders into the locker room dynamic during doom times like now. Why I feel all team analysts should be ex-players. We can all read off stats and player anecdotes but need a guide to take us into the mindset of players and the nuances of the locker room dynamic (especially during challenging times).

I've never seen an Oilers Nation podcast. Have to say the lead interview guy, is that Yarmechuck?, was really good. Stayed out of the way by asking questions and letting the expert give us his insight and experiences which are foreign to all of us. Not sure who the other guy is with holding a dick in his hands ... he seems like a lightweight.

Between Strudwick, Brown and Gazdik, we can finally get deep, credible experienced voices so missing on team broadcasts and other mediums. Really appreciate your sharing this piece!

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Listened to that podcast and I think Shaugger is right on. Woody needs to start benching some guys who are continually making the same type of mistakes or not giving the proper effort, whether it's Dylan Holloway, Connor McDavid, Leon Drsaisaitl , Evan Bouchard, etc, etc. And only for a couple shifts or so, not a whole period or game or whatever. Just to send a message. Unfortunately, we really have no other options for getting their attention due to our GM's wonderful management. And my own opinion, is that this group simply do not respect Woodcroft. Not the kind of lack where they tell him to piss off or something like that. But the fact that he's young for the profession, this is his first gig, etc, and there isn't the type of track record of success at this level for him, other than the hot streak last season. He keeps preaching for them to stop doing stuff, etc, etc ad naseum, but they keep doing it. There is no fear of benching, no fear of being sent down, no nothing. I don't want him screaming or yelling, because I don't think that will solve anything. If he was a seasoned coach with a huge successful record, I doubt there would be some guys pulling this shit.
I don't understand why he never does it. Just for a quick wake up call in game.

How does Tampa Bay BENCH THEIR ENTIRE FIRST LINE for most of a 3rd period? A stanley Cup winning championship line.....But Jay cannot do it for anybody lol

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I heard a (Aiden?) Ganam doing sports on AM880. Shaye Ganam from CHED wouldn‘t have a son old enough but is he a relative?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Good podcast. Strudwick and Rishaug get into it.
Talk about how Draisaitl hasnt pissed a drop in 7 games. McDavid no goals in 5 games.
Talked about how this team just doesnt pay attention to the important details...

I think an equal comparison is the "Grasshopper & the Ants". The Oilers are the grasshoppers as they don't want to put any extra hard work in whereas most other teams are the ants working their asses off game in, game out.

If they want to be champs, then they have to start working like the ants.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think an equal comparison is the "Grasshopper & the Ants". The Oilers are the grasshoppers as they don't want to put any extra hard work in whereas most other teams are the ants working their asses off game in, game out.

If they want to be champs, then they have to start working like the ants.
Excellent analogy. :nod:

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man I love Luke. Great upbeat guy, articulate and empathetic (aka Oilers homer too haha). Has the having played credibility to diagnose and walk us outsiders into the locker room dynamic during doom times like now. Why I feel all team analysts should be ex-players. We can all read off stats and player anecdotes but need a guide to take us into the mindset of players and the nuances of the locker room dynamic (especially during challenging times).

I've never seen an Oilers Nation podcast. Have to say the lead interview guy, is that Yarmechuck?, was really good. Stayed out of the way by asking questions and letting the expert give us his insight and experiences which are foreign to all of us. Not sure who the other guy is with holding a dick in his hands ... he seems like a lightweight.

Between Strudwick, Brown and Gazdik, we can finally get deep, credible experienced voices so missing on team broadcasts and other mediums. Really appreciate your sharing this piece!
No problem.
I actually just started watching their podcasts this month.

I couldnt agree with you more...between Got Yer Back, OilersNation and Edmonton Sports Talk I feel like I have much more access to good content now compared to when 1260 was on the air.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Luke Gazdik chimes in with Oilersnation....

Who's the mute?;)

A lot of talk on there about leadership, or lack thereof. At this point, shouldn't we be expecting Connor and Leon and Darnell to be that leadership? Why do we need to bring in more old guys? A bit of a stain for those three in that none of them are yanking this team by the throat and pushing it up. The best I can see right now is Ganger, Kane and Foegele.

And Luke quite rightly points out Draisaitl's pouting emotions when things aren't going right. I know he got "pissy" with Matheson, and probably rightly so given the stupid questions, but it also points to larger potential issue of him not keeping an even keel when things don't go his way, and making it far more difficult to pull himself out of a slump and affecting the rest of his game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Who's the mute?;)

A lot of talk on there about leadership, or lack thereof. At this point, shouldn't we be expecting Connor and Leon and Darnell to be that leadership? Why do we need to bring in more old guys? A bit of a stain for those three in that none of them are yanking this team by the throat and pushing it up. The best I can see right now is Ganger, Kane and Foegele.

And Luke quite rightly points out Draisaitl's pouting emotions when things aren't going right. I know he got "pissy" with Matheson, and probably rightly so given the stupid questions, but it also points to larger potential issue of him not keeping an even keel when things don't go his way, and making it far more difficult to pull himself out of a slump and affecting the rest of his game.
I completely agree with you.
I posted in another thread how this team seems to have (among other things) a major character flaw.
Its like there really isnt much fight at all in this dog. Outside of the players you just mentioned when things get really tough the team just puts its collective tail between his legs and thats that.

The kicker...Draisaitl (a team leader) said in a post game interview after the San Jose game that he isnt worried/concerned.
Well...if this doesnt concern him then what the f*ck will?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

How does Tampa Bay BENCH THEIR ENTIRE FIRST LINE for most of a 3rd period? A stanley Cup winning championship line.....But Jay cannot do it for anybody lol
The 9-2 Vancouver Canucks benched JT Miller earlier this season. On a team that's been winning!

Reactions: guymez

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Woody's main reasoning is that he calls it a process.... He says he can't just bench guys right away if it's a process....

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Woodsoft is not a good good coach. That's why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad