Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
it was not really indepth and like reading Coles notes. There was very little insight in the train of thought that went into the picks. Just player X taken and what happened to him
I bought the book without looking at it. When I got home to me it kinda looks like something that you could figure out on your own between wikipedia and hockeydb.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We set a one-day record for funds raised on Friday. We raised $25,350.00 for Adopt-A-Teen in our Pyramid of Giving. Thanks to Nex Gen Transportation and All-star Construction for matching the $7500 pyramid, to Ken for his $2000 donation and to all those who made donations of $1000, $500, $200 and $100. Outstanding.

Was listening to the show with the month of giving on a package for a suite to the Kraken game in January and was really happy to hear the bids coming in. This was from Gregor's article yesterday. Thankfully he's back on the radio as there are a lot of charities he raises money for that really need this money at this time of the year.

KurriKane

Dec 22, 2023
I really like Got Yer Back. I have spoken to Ryan Rishaug a couple times for non-hockey related stuff and met him once. Really solid guy. Completely agree with Jason Strudwick when he mocks Rishaug for claiming to be 6' 2". Maybe he is 6'. Maybe.

For me The Cult of Hockey is worth it for the game grades. The podcast can be good but really depends on the night. I know David Staples isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I find his takes interesting.

Bruce McCurdy is the wildcard for me. He will go off on Grandpa Simpson tangents on some evenings that are painful. Those are the episodes where I just move on to the next podcast in the list. On a podcast early this season McCurdy went on a five minute tangent about having seen Glenn Anderson play in a university hockey game in the late 1970s. Still don't know what the point of that tangent was but I took a break from listening to the Cult of Hockey after that one.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I really like Got Yer Back. I have spoken to Ryan Rishaug a couple times for non-hockey related stuff and met him once. Really solid guy. Completely agree with Jason Strudwick when he mocks Rishaug for claiming to be 6' 2". Maybe he is 6'. Maybe.

For me The Cult of Hockey is worth it for the game grades. The podcast can be good but really depends on the night. I know David Staples isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I find his takes interesting.

Bruce McCurdy is the wildcard for me. He will go off on Grandpa Simpson tangents on some evenings that are painful. Those are the episodes where I just move on to the next podcast in the list. On a podcast early this season McCurdy went on a five minute tangent about having seen Glenn Anderson play in a university hockey game in the late 1970s. Still don't know what the point of that tangent was but I took a break from listening to the Cult of Hockey after that one.
NOTAFAN of McCurdy. He sucks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Caught the end of Karius, Whitney and Schlemko. Had to chuckle when Whitney says no one believes his son at 6'5" is his son lol. Must have a tall wife

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I like McCurdy a lot, but he has a tendency to panic captain hindsight things depending on the way the wind is blowing. Lucic on a hot streak in Calgary? "Looks like they have a contributing player there while we don't." That kind of thing.

He also seems to come from the Lowetide school of "never trade any form of player under 25 ever and have them around until they figure it out or fail." Caleb Jones would probably still be on the team if it were up to them.

Reactions: guymez

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Caught the end of Karius, Whitney and Schlemko. Had to chuckle when Whitney says no one believes his son at 6'5" is his son lol. Must have a tall wife
My wife and I are both short, but “my” son is 6’ 3”. I blame the milkman back in the day.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone know if Aden (?) Ganam who does sports on QT880 is related to Shaye Ganam? I have to thin that he is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ethan Moreau was on gregor's show yesterday. Might be the most honest interview I ever heard. Very blunt and not worried about ruffling feathers.

What caught me off guard was he said after Smith got traded he asked for a trade, then they ended up giving him the Captaincy. Which is weird because I really remember him saying he wanted it back then and essentially just seemed to take it

Did mention he wasn't exactly the best captain as he wasn't mentally in the right spot.

Was starting to talk about the mistake it was to move Greene, Stoll and Torres but stopped. I remember couple year ago he said it was a mistake as those guys were guys that bridged the gap between the vets on the team and the rookies. That and the team really tried to go to fast and skilled too soon.

He essentially really said that team was ran very poorly back then and didn't agree with much of what they did.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ethan Moreau was on gregor's show yesterday. Might be the most honest interview I ever heard. Very blunt and not worried about ruffling feathers.

What caught me off guard was he said after Smith got traded he asked for a trade, then they ended up giving him the Captaincy. Which is weird because I really remember him saying he wanted it back then and essentially just seemed to take it

Did mention he wasn't exactly the best captain as he wasn't mentally in the right spot.

Was starting to talk about the mistake it was to move Greene, Stoll and Torres but stopped. I remember couple year ago he said it was a mistake as those guys were guys that bridged the gap between the vets on the team and the rookies. That and the team really tried to go to fast and skilled too soon.

He essentially really said that team was ran very poorly back then and didn't agree with much of what they did.

It's somewhat refreshing to hear this, because he was absolutely terrible as Captain. You could almost split his career in two the moment he was given the C.

Pre-captaincy he was a straight up player that brought it every night and played strong, responsible, energetic, physical, defensively aware hockey. Could chip in some offence too. Basically an ideal 3rd liner even on really good teams.

Post-captiancy he was lazy, entitled, had problems holding himself accountable, and gave off a vibe of not seeming to really care. He also developed a tendency to take the dumbest penalties possible at the worst times. This was one that really grated on me because he would often talk about effort and accountability in post games after taking a string of penalties himself that would have got anyone else benched.

It's too bad because his legacy here should be more about the pre-captain Moreau than post-captain, but unfortunately that reputation got clouded with how terrible he was in all aspects at the end.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's somewhat refreshing to hear this, because he was absolutely terrible as Captain. You could almost split his career in two the moment he was given the C.

Pre-captaincy he was a straight up player that brought it every night and played strong, responsible, energetic, physical, defensively aware hockey. Could chip in some offence too. Basically an ideal 3rd liner even on really good teams.

Post-captiancy he was lazy, entitled, had problems holding himself accountable, and gave off a vibe of not seeming to really care. He also developed a tendency to take the dumbest penalties possible at the worst times. This was one that really grated on me because he would often talk about effort and accountability in post games after taking a string of penalties himself that would have got anyone else benched.

It's too bad because his legacy here should be more about the pre-captain Moreau than post-captain, but unfortunately that reputation got clouded with how terrible he was in all aspects at the end.
Funny thing is despite all of what you said(which is 100% right) he did say his hockey camps do far better in the Edmonton area because people here remember him and want to be at his camps. Unlike Ontario where he is from and grew up playing hockey lol.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad