Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Heavy Dee had a great idea for a poll. Adding that to the new thread.
Hopefully I have all the Edmonton Sports options covered. If not let me know and I will add them in.

Which shows are in your top 3 for the best content?

Mine are...

1) Got Yer Back
2) EST Hangout
3) OilersNation Everyday Podcast

I am still trying to find a 3rd option.
Oilers Now used to be an almost daily listen when it was on at Noon but I haven't even listened once in the new time slot because its just not convenient for me at 5:00.
I am going to try and listen to a few of the other options more (like 1440 online due to bad reception) to see which one would be included in my top 3.

Edit:
I have settled on my top 3 go to podcasts.
After seeing the quality of some of the other podcasts I cant see myself going back to the Cult of Hockey podcast. So many other better options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavy Dee

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Rishaug had the sound bite of the year on his GYB pod last night.

He asked his producer what the floating hearts onscreen the chat meant and Zuby said it meant that listeners were hitting the heart emoji to demonstrate their love of the show or topic being discussed on the Chat. Said it was good for the show’s algorithms.

Ryan follows up by says “hey listeners, keep pounding on that love button!”. Struddy broke out in full laughter…too funny. Ryan, GEM of the Day!
The only thing funny he's said in his career.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers nation and Oilers post game live interaction with fans calling in.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's also Oilersnation Everyday with Yaremchuk.
Yaremchuk is good, the rest are unwatchable. It's good when they have Seravelli on.

Got Yer Back is the best Oilers centric pod BY FAR IMO. The perfect mix of hockey knowledge, in depth analysis, humor and panel chemistry.

I'll tune into The Nielson Show for some of the guests but there's so much fluff to get through to get there.

I used to listen to Oilers Now pretty much everyday but with the new timeslot which cuts into my busy evenings, I'm just about done with it unfortunately.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yaremchuk is good, the rest are unwatchable. It's good when they have Seravelli on.

Got Yer Back is the best Oilers centric pod BY FAR IMO. The perfect mix of hockey knowledge, in depth analysis, humor and panel chemistry.

I'll tune into The Nielson Show for some of the guests but there's so much fluff to get through to get there.

I used to listen to Oilers Now pretty much everyday but with the new timeslot which cuts into my busy evenings, I'm just about done with it unfortunately.
GYB for me as well. However, what I miss from Ryan’s pod versus when I listened to Bob‘s show everyday was the line up of external guests who would provide some different perspectives to issues. I miss Lawton, Friedman, Shannon, Staples, Puckpedia guy, Seravelli etc with their Oiler-centric commentary.

I’m a fairly recent convert to GYB because of CHED’s decision making over the summer and I can foresee a time that I tire of Rishaug being the same voice over and over again and Struddy, maybe less, (although I probabky don’t tire of him, he’s a hoot).

Reactions: MessierII

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
GYB Oilers and National podcasts are stellar. I’ve migrated from Bobs show to GYB for Oiler insight. I do miss some of Bobs guests, Lawton, the guy from Puckpedia, Friedman and so on but you have to give to get. The lineup of Strudwick with Brown and RR a running the show has been awesome. I spanked Risghaug in a post here a few weeks back for his childishness, but aside from that, he is a polished host and is very knowledgeable. Struddy is pure must-listen-to audio. Brownie is also intelligent and an awesome add.

Great job by those guys.

Yep. Migrating their show from on air to pod, they are doing ZERO a post production and it shows. The pod is crap. I’ve stopped auto downloading about 2 weeks ago.
GYB is one of the best pods in the country. However they need a rebrand. Wth is 'Got yet back'?

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
GYB is one of the best pods in the country. However they need a rebrand. Wth is 'Got yet back'?
Maybe it has to do with Rishaug's well-documented back pain issues. I rank GYB, along with Ray & Dregs as my favourite hockey podcasts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe it has to do with Rishaug's well-documented back pain issues. I rank GYB, along with Ray & Dregs as my favourite hockey podcasts.
I thought it was some sort of joke that neither can run a show themselves and need the other one to have their back for them :laugh:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The only thing funny he's said in his career.
I’ve only listened to his pods the last 6 weeks religiously, so I can’t confirm nor deny his career batting average.

They do a thing on the national GYB, where they ask each interviewee to give a shout out to someone in their lives/career that has “had their back”. It’s a cute schtick that maybe gives deserved kudos to someone in the background who has helped them on their way. I’ve got no issue with the brand. I think because they don’t interview on the Edmonton pod, they don’t have a platform to ask that question so the moniker is kind of lost on listeners. Good point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stopped listening to Oilers Now for the most part as the new time and uploads for the pods means they are dated by the time I listen to them usually and Ive heard everything by the time I get around to listening as Seravalli is on other Edmonton based shows including his own and Oiler news is reported by the time Stauffer is on air.

GYB Oilers is my favorite by far. Rishaug, Struddy and Brown are unbeatable in their analysis and listenability. Funny at times too.

The new stuff by Dusty’s EST is almost unlistenable. It’s gotten very immature far too much now that they are podcast or webcast and they seem to cater primarily to the 250 or so juvenile Nasty boys which you’d think would have a short shelf life. It’s funny in short spurts but tires fast. Coolbet ads nonstop. Too inconvenient to play live.

Dusty and Gazolla’s Oilstream used to be a nice tight 20 minutes a couple times a week but now it’s an hour 3 times a week. So it’s gone from 40 minutes to 3 hours a week and they just don’t make it worth the time. More is not always better.

1440 I’ll catch Karius or Gregor on various pods depending on the guest. I like to hear Spector who wisely jumped ship from Oilers Now new terrible time slot and production quality.

Oilers Nation is garbage. Don’t need to listen to assclown fanboys named Wanye or Bagged Milk and Yaremchuk comes across like a snotty 25 year old know it all - oh wait - that’s what he is. Oilers Nation is just fan created crap for the most part. I do like Seravalli so usually listen to him on his half hour pod, sadly it’s with Yaremchuk. Betano ads nonstop.

I’ve pretty much quit giving a f*** about the rest of the league don’t listen to Ray & Dregs, GYB National and even have a hard time getting through 32 Thoughts these days. Listen to about 6 or 7 thoughts and then would rather listen to music.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Stopped listening to Oilers Now for the most part as the new time and uploads for the pods means they are dated by the time I listen to them usually and Ive heard everything by the time I get around to listening as Seravalli is on other Edmonton based shows including his own and Oiler news is reported by the time Stauffer is on air.

GYB Oilers is my favorite by far. Rishaug, Struddy and Brown are unbeatable in their analysis and listenability. Funny at times too.

The new stuff by Dusty’s EST is almost unlistenable. It’s gotten very immature far too much now that they are podcast or webcast and they seem to cater primarily to the 250 or so juvenile Nasty boys which you’d think would have a short shelf life. It’s funny in short spurts but tires fast. Coolbet ads nonstop. Too inconvenient to play live.

Dusty and Gazolla’s Oilstream used to be a nice tight 20 minutes a couple times a week but now it’s an hour 3 times a week. So it’s gone from 40 minutes to 3 hours a week and they just don’t make it worth the time. More is not always better.

1440 I’ll catch Karius or Gregor on various pods depending on the guest. I like to hear Spector who wisely jumped ship from Oilers Now new terrible time slot and production quality.

Oilers Nation is garbage. Don’t need to listen to assclown fanboys named Wanye or Bagged Milk and Yaremchuk comes across like a snotty 25 year old know it all - oh wait - that’s what he is. Oilers Nation is just fan created crap for the most part. I do like Seravalli so usually listen to him on his half hour pod, sadly it’s with Yaremchuk. Betano ads nonstop.

I’ve pretty much quit giving a f*** about the rest of the league don’t listen to Ray & Dregs, GYB National and even have a hard time getting through 32 Thoughts these days. Listen to about 6 or 7 thoughts and then would rather listen to music.
Do you listen to Staples and McCurdy?

I listened to todays pod for the first (and last) time as it had been recommended in an earlier post. I had to slap myself 2 or 3 times just to stay awake.

They could bottle that shit as a sleep time aid.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do you listen to Staples and McCurdy?

I listened to todays pod for the first (and last) time as it had been recommended in an earlier post. I had to slap myself 2 or 3 times just to stay awake.

They could bottle that shit as a sleep time aid.

No I can’t. Staples and McCurdy are unlistenable to me. They need to stick to print / digital lol.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
No I can’t. Staples and McCurdy are unlistenable to me. They need to stick to print / digital lol.
Staples is tough to listen to for me but I love Bruce. Staples is just such a weenie. Although I have to say being the little weenie he is, he’s exceptional at complaining when the team is bad.

I can’t remember when I started listening to them, must have been before McDavid. Team was brutal and they’d tear apart the Oilers management in post games and it was so much better than hearing Stauffer sugarcoat things. They used to make jabs at Stauffer all the time too, now Staples is his little pet.

Staples tore apart Nurse for pinching when we were already 4 men deep like a week ago, like he just expresses every negative thought I had about that play and it’s cathartic. That’s basically what the show used to be all the time until we started making the playoffs, they’d just vent everything the fans were feeling.

Reactions: barry halls

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Staples is tough to listen to for me but I love Bruce. Staples is just such a weenie. Although I have to say being the little weenie he is, he’s exceptional at complaining when the team is bad.

I can’t remember when I started listening to them, must have been before McDavid. Team was brutal and they’d tear apart the Oilers management in post games and it was so much better than hearing Stauffer sugarcoat things. They used to make jabs at Stauffer all the time too, now Staples is his little pet.

Staples tore apart Nurse for pinching when we were already 4 men deep like a week ago, like he just expresses every negative thought I had about that play and it’s cathartic. That’s basically what the show used to be all the time until we started making the playoffs, they’d just vent everything the fans were feeling.
I like Staples for his breakdowns of games/plays and stat trends. I don’t know much of McCurdy except a bit of his written stuff. But their verbal pod delivery…woof.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like Staples for his breakdowns of games/plays and stat trends. I don’t know much of McCurdy except a bit of his written stuff. But their verbal pod delivery…woof.
Yeah...its not particularly dynamic in terms of the delivery...lol
Bruce sounds like the Perry Como of hockey and Staples comes off like he's trying too hard to be the super nice guy. No edge to the show at all.
What you end up with is extremely vanilla.
They desperately need a 3rd person on there to bring up the energy.

All that aside....some of the content is actually quite good especially when Staples and McCurdy break down plays. Thats the only reason why I listen.

The GYB podcast has a much higher entertainment value while delivering some quality hockey insights. Unlike the Cult of Hockey the GYB podcast actually has a bit of an edge to it.
Best show out there IMO.

Reactions: brentashton

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I can't find anything for changes to 1440. If there were changes, it would be moving to another frequency and/or increasing from 10kW non-directional daytime and 10 kW directional nighttime.

Duder54

Living abroad, I've always caught the Nielson show live, as it usually coincided well with my afternoon drive home. Have been listening to the new show on EST and am really glad he was able to find a way to keep the A.M. Nasty going, but this thread has given me a few new options to check out that I've never heard of before!

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
We have so many options now.

I love GYB. I don't even listen to the Ched post game stuff anymore. Barely listen to Oilers Now at all.

Don't mind Gazolla podcast

I don't mind Gregors

I like Smid when he is on in the mornings

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So nothing beating Gregor's show for me. The guests are so damn good and I'm really loving Ryan and Brown when co-hosting.

For two guys known for their fisticuffs more than hockey skill they are very very knowledgeable.

Also been catching bit and pieces of Karius, don't think it's as bad as people were making it out. Maybe he's gotten better or maybe it's just better in small doses.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good podcast. Strudwick and Rishaug get into it.
Talk about how Draisaitl hasnt pissed a drop in 7 games. McDavid no goals in 5 games.
Talked about how this team just doesnt pay attention to the important details...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad