Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I completely agree with you.
I posted in another thread how this team seems to have (among other things) a major character flaw.
Its like there really isnt much fight at all in this dog. Outside of the players you just mentioned when things get really tough the team just puts its collective tail between his legs and thats that.

The kicker...Draisaitl (a team leader) said in a post game interview after the San Jose game that he isnt worried/concerned.
Well...if this doesnt concern him then what the f*ck will?
What he says publicly and what gets said privately amongst them and in the locker room is probably very different.
Like when you work day is the absolute s***s and the boss asks how's it going. You usually just reply fine.
Imagine the media circus if Leon said something more bold and called out certain players or the coaches? Not worth it. Keep it amongst the group

Reactions: TB12

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I don't understand why he never does it. Just for a quick wake up call in game.

How does Tampa Bay BENCH THEIR ENTIRE FIRST LINE for most of a 3rd period? A stanley Cup winning championship line.....But Jay cannot do it for anybody lol
I bet he was afraid to do it worrying about his job as a new NHL coach. Ironically it'll end up costing him his job.

Reactions: bellagiobob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What he says publicly and what gets said privately amongst them and in the locker room is probably very different.
Like when you work day is the absolute s***s and the boss asks how's it going. You usually just reply fine.
Imagine the media circus if Leon said something more bold and called out certain players or the coaches? Not worth it. Keep it amongst the group
Well...it wouldnt negatively affect team in any way if he showed that he wasn't happy about things instead of saying he isnt concerned.
He should be pissed off.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Neilson pretty much sums up yesterdays dysfunctional press conference...

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
Not radio related but with Jim Matheson in the hhof would the oiler be crazy enough to get him a jersey retirement?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Dustin Nielsen has got to be the most depressing person on Edmonton Sports Talk right now. Super pissed off and depressed that Woodcroft is gone so he can’t even say one good thing about last nights win against Seattle or Knoblauch. Like we get it dude. You aren’t the only one upset about it

Reactions: Leo360

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Dustin Nielsen has got to be the most depressing person on Edmonton Sports Talk right now. Super pissed off and depressed that Woodcroft is gone so he can’t even say one good thing about last nights win against Seattle or Knoblauch. Like we get it dude. You aren’t the only one upset about it

His station is going full conspiracy theory over it. Before the press conference that worm Iwanyk led off with:

"This is the first time ever that Oiler fans are upset with McDavid because he's acting like Lebron James." As if this was established fact.

Then after the press conference:

"Oiler fans won't be happy with that!"

The followed up with nonsense Paul Coffey fables in the realm of "my cousin's friend is related to the sister of one of the Coyotes players that said this!":

"When Coffey worked for the Coyotes all he did is go in there and show them clips of the Oilers 80's powerplay and told them to do that"

Had to shut it off at that point. I understand that the standards of journalistic integrity are a bit lower on a sports talk station, but this was ridiculous and blatant narrative pushing.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
He also loved JP lol. I don't take him that seriously. He is more like the goofy radio guy. Don't really listen to him. There are much better podcasts now.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His station is going full conspiracy theory over it. Before the press conference that worm Iwanyk led off with:

"This is the first time ever that Oiler fans are upset with McDavid because he's acting like Lebron James." As if this was established fact.

The followed up with nonsense Paul Coffey fables in the realm of "my cousin's friend is related to the sister of one of the Coyotes players that said this!":

"When Coffey worked for the Coyotes all he did is go in there and show them clips of the Oilers 80's powerplay and told them to do that"

Had to shut it off at that point. I understand that the standards of journalistic integrity are a bit lower on a sports talk station, but this was ridiculous and blatant narrative pushing.
I mean it is rare that anyone in this market complains about coaching or management until a guy is fired, so I guess it's not a bad thing to have different opinions. However, there is a way to go about things especially if you want to further your career. Which in Nielsen's case it seems like he has his fingers in a lot of different buckets so he should stay somewhat listenable.

The whole 11-7 is starting to be questioned now that Woody is gone, but rarely talked about before. So it is a bit of a change of pace.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Yup, pretty weak takes and wild erratic reaches with that group. First time I've really check out the new show and shut it off too. It was always about listening to the knowledgeable and credible guests than Nielsen and others opinions. Came across as fan amateur hour over the Oilers coaching moves.

Reactions: Leo360

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yup, pretty weak takes and wild erratic reaches with that group. First time I've really check out the new show and shut it off too. It was always about listening to the knowledgeable and credible guests than Nielsen and others opinions. Came across as fan amateur hour over the Oilers coaching moves.

Exactly. If I wanted to read/hear rants, conspiracy theories and utter nonsense I would just read it here.

On the radio all I want are the facts and measured analysis based on established facts, not innuendo about how Coffey is a bad hire because a friend of a friend of a friend said all he did was show 80's Oiler highlights when he worked for the Coyotes. ESPECIALLY when he is dressing up his dumb opinion as an absolute.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Exactly. If I wanted to read/hear rants, conspiracy theories and utter nonsense I would just read it here.

On the radio all I want are the facts and measured analysis based on established facts, not innuendo about how Coffey is a bad hire because a friend of a friend of a friend said all he did was show 80's Oiler highlights when he worked for the Coyotes. ESPECIALLY when he is dressing up his dumb opinion as an absolute.
Radio's a low bar for fact and quality analysis with no barrier to entry and opinion makers often with no credible game experience. Breathe of fresh air to listen to GotYerBack with Strudwich and Brown's analysis of game and player performance but also ability to speak with credibility of the mindset and locker room context. Rishaug too has at least had a cup of coffee as a WHL player.

I don't think any NHL team let alone one in any knowledgeable Canadian market should settle for broadcast analysts from anyone who hasn't played pro hockey. Have to articulate what's happen on ice and why and place listeners within the mindset of team and players. We can all look up stats. Carrying over to radio programs let expert guests give their opinions without leading questions and augment with own opinions.

Nielson and gang's stuff was cringeworthy.

Reactions: Leo360 and K1984

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
2 Guys and a Goalie cancelled today. Neilson having another cry session?

Yeah I know. They had no facts at all. Rishaug cleared it up 24 hours later and they ended up looking stupid. Only one I like from that crew is Tom Gazzola. Guy has some sensible knowledge of hockey

Reactions: K1984

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He also loved JP lol. I don't take him that seriously. He is more like the goofy radio guy. Don't really listen to him. There are much better podcasts now.
He is a goofy radio guy and if I do listen its just for the ridiculousness of his show. There are some genuinely funny moments.
That aside Dustin doesnt seem to have a very good sense of where the line is. There is a point at which something is no longer funny or insightful.
It just becomes repetitive nonsense made worse when it isnt even accurate.
That when I tune out.

There must be a demographic that this schtick works for or he wouldnt do it.

Yeah I know. They had no facts at all. Rishaug cleared it up 24 hours later and they ended up looking stupid. Only one I like from that crew is Tom Gazzola. Guy has some sensible knowledge of hockey
Good to see Rishaug do that.
Gazzola is 'okay'. A little bit too vanilla IMO.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He is a goofy radio guy and if I do listen its just for the ridiculousness of his show. There are some genuinely funny moments.
That aside Dustin doesnt seem to have a very good sense of where the line is. There is a point at which something is no longer funny or insightful.
It just becomes repetitive nonsense made worse when it isnt even accurate.
That when I tune out.

There must be a demographic that this schtick works for or he wouldnt do it.

Good to see Rishaug do that.
Gazzola is 'okay'. A little bit too vanilla IMO.
Dusty has always been too fratboyish for me, not what I'm looking for in my limited radio/podcast time. Way more style than substance, but good for him for clearly finding a niche with a demographic that likes what he brings. The whole AM Nasty thing has an appeal to those that want to feel like part of the group, with their merch, gettogethers, etc..

Reactions: abootzky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dusty has always been too fratboyish for me, not what I'm looking for in my limited radio/podcast time. Way more style than substance, but good for him for clearly finding a niche with a demographic that likes what he brings. The whole AM Nasty thing has an appeal to those that want to feel like part of the group, with their merch, gettogethers, etc..
Fratboyish is a perfect description of Dusty.
Sometimes he brings that into his CFL play calling too and for me that comes off a very amateurish.

Reactions: RegDunlop

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Radio's a low bar for fact and quality analysis with no barrier to entry and opinion makers often with no credible game experience. Breathe of fresh air to listen to GotYerBack with Strudwich and Brown's analysis of game and player performance but also ability to speak with credibility of the mindset and locker room context. Rishaug too has at least had a cup of coffee as a WHL player.

I don't think any NHL team let alone one in any knowledgeable Canadian market should settle for broadcast analysts from anyone who hasn't played pro hockey. Have to articulate what's happen on ice and why and place listeners within the mindset of team and players. We can all look up stats. Carrying over to radio programs let expert guests give their opinions without leading questions and augment with own opinions.

Nielson and gang's stuff was cringeworthy.

GYB is the best podcast by far IMO. Listen to it the next day after every game.

All of them know what they're talking about and all of them are capable of providing a nuanced view of the topic at hand including two guys with significant NHL experience. They don't always agree either which yields some interesting conversation. For anyone that hasn't listened to it yet I highly recommend it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Out of curiosity what is this in reference to?

Kwiatkowski18

Jul 13, 2015
Nielson is a complete tool. He's as smart as a stick, acts way too confidently for a guy that can barely skate himself, and is a cry baby when you give him the gears on twitter. Definition of a meatball

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nielson is a complete tool. He's as smart as a stick, acts way too confidently for a guy that can barely skate himself, and is a cry baby when you give him the gears on twitter. Definition of a meatball
Never looked at his twitter feed. Is he a snowflake on there?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Sucks to hear about the EST takes.

I'm usually a semi-regular listener but I tune out from hockey media during during losing streaks since the takes just irritate me even more.

Hope they get their shit together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad