Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I caught a bit of 1440 around noon and they announced short had died which was sad. He actually interviewed me once when I was with the bears. Such a nice guy and a broadcasting legend. I tuned in again after work and thought they still talking about short but realized they were talking about Brownnlee. What are the odds? Same day. Brownlee was younger than my parents just a sad day for sports radio. Glad we pulled out a win.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Sad day for Edmonton radio. Gotta say though, Brownlee is the only account on Twitter that has me blocked. I corrected him in a non aggressive way once and he DMed me calling me a putz and blocked me for it. Haven't listened to him since but can respect his contributions to thr Edmonton sports scene.
You'll always have bragging rights on your buddies that a sports journalist like Brownlee called you a Putz. I bet theyve never been called that by a sports journalist.

R.i.p. Brownlee. Just hear him on one of the shows last week. wow.

Reactions: oilers'72

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Earlier in a different part of my life I had the privilege to work with John Short. He was just so nice, professional and man the stories he could tell. RIP John, condolences to your family.
He also took time with guys either attending NAIT or trying to break into the business the old school way of getting hired at some boonie radio station with no Watts and going from there. A long forgotten buddy got hired by a stationed aimed only at farmers up north. He exchanged snail mail weekly with Short and Short gave him some advice. My buddy did about 30 years radio business before going into real estate or something. My buddy was an all arounder. He could anything on Mic or production side. The best piece of advice Short gave him was to understand the sales side of things. My buddy learned how to spot trouble coming his way at a station whether internal or external, by attending sales meetings and other meetings people hated. He became the master at jumping ship right before mayhem at his station. Either format change or restructuring or the ever famous ",we need to find a new, fresh voice" conversation with the bosses.

John Short was the class act of Edmonton radio. He never toom his job for granted, thought he was the star or would say something dumb lime "it is my name on the title of the show' or something like that. He also never spoke down to his callers. He would always take phone calls unlike many today who are selective

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Sad day for Edmonton radio. Gotta say though, Brownlee is the only account on Twitter that has me blocked. I corrected him in a non aggressive way once and he DMed me calling me a putz and blocked me for it. Haven't listened to him since but can respect his contributions to thr Edmonton sports scene.
If only one person has blocked you, I’d say you‘re not doing Twitter right. I’d guess I’ve been blocked by dozens, pretty much all (I hope) from my interactions on U.S. politics.

Reactions: oilers'72

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If only one person has blocked you, I’d say you‘re not doing Twitter right. I’d guess I’ve been blocked by dozens, pretty much all (I hope) from my interactions on U.S. politics.
OT I have only been blocked by one person on Twitter. Alan Walsh. Interesting though, here is the post that did it. Doesn't like to be called out on his B.S.

walsh.png

was.png

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Throughout the 1970s the sports talk voice of Edmonton was Bryan Hall on CJCA. Bryan was a family acquaintance who seemed like a good guy but his call-in programs were pretty much unlistenable gong shows. Things changed for the much, much better when John Short took over Sportstalk on CFRN in the early '80's when I was in university. 9 to midnight, Oilers game night or not, John's show was appointment listening for me. I didn't necessarily agree with everything he said (John had a democratic right to be wrong too!) but I still basically adored everything about him as a radio host. To this day, I remain a sports talk radio/podcast junkie. The man who is most responsible for that is John Short. May he rest in peace.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really starting to dislike this schtick lowetide has for declan.

At first I thought it was just an older guy take some harmless jabs, but man it's becoming intolerable.

I get that sometimes you go over talking with someone so naturally that is going to leave Declan short to talk about his brief once a week segment. But how lowetide tries to take it over and change the topic because he doesn't like the topic on hand is pretty sickening.

It's not like everything lowetide talks about is everyone's cup of tea, but most have the knowledge that not everything on a sports show will be for them and they listen anyway.

Show the guy respect and just be quiet when he's doing his 5 minutes. Makes for horrible radio the way things are now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh boy did big George have a story. A lot of people that had beefs with Brownlee was because he really came off as a keyboard warrior.

Little did I know, but the guy challenged Laraque to a fight one time in Minnesota. Even MacT had to ask George what the heck he did to piss off Brownlee so much. Turns out he was quite the scrapper in his day.

Brownlee got pissed off because Laraque was throwing pennies from two rows behind him hitting him in the head 6 times. Brownlee originally thought it was a Minny player who was in the row between them and gave that guy shit. Guy had no idea what Brownlee was talking about. Then Laraque eventually told him and it was game on.

I did also find it odd how the healthy scratches from both team literally were sitting in adjacent rows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One thing I'm really liking since 1440 came back on is not only is Gregor's getting guests that he didn't have while under the TSN banner, but both Ched and 1440 actually talk about the guys on the other shows more.

I know the past 10 days are a little bit odd with Brownlee passing, but even before that Bob would have some references to Gregor and vice versa.

Before it just seemed like it was taboo and the other guys were the enemy, when the reality is a lot of these guys are friends.

Now just to see this race between stauffer and brownlee that was brought up on both shows and that gregor promised to get the video for Laraque when he's in town later this week.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Part of PK's schtick is to be loud, brash, and "say it like it is."

Unfortunately it is very easy to look stupid if this is your style, but it's apparent to your audience that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ya, think it was the segment after Mike Rupp as I was close to home already.

Wednesday's are my absolute drop everything and make sure I'm listening when Rupper is on.

The only thing I didn't like was maybe Gregor shouldn't have brought up the other elephant in the room with hockey canada. I get it, it was talked everywhere and he probably gets shit on if he doesn't discuss it. But man Rupp was really being careful with his words. Not to say something that legally could hurt him and not to say something that would result in hate mail

I don't envy public figures in this regard. These are very delicate legal matters from every perspective that require careful handling by all 3rd parties (team, league, media, etc), but a significant majority of the public don't get this and lose their marbles if anyone doesn't swiftly and immediately name names, condemn them, "ask the hard questions," etc.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
OT I have only been blocked by one person on Twitter. Alan Walsh. Interesting though, here is the post that did it. Doesn't like to be called out on his B.S.

View attachment 801791

View attachment 801792

The sad part is that Walsh knows that. But he also knows that there's a lot of really uninformed people out there that he can make an impression on. That is the point of the tweet. To sway public impression amongst the uninformed or shall we say those that don't think critically.

People are going to believe what they want to believe. So anyone leaning on the side of the NLHPA will likely gobble this up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't envy public figures in this regard. These are very delicate legal matters from every perspective that require careful handling by all 3rd parties (team, league, media, etc), but a significant majority of the public don't get this and lose their marbles if anyone doesn't swiftly and immediately name names, condemn them, "ask the hard questions," etc.
Look at John Scott, he said something about Perry and had to back pedal.

Any tom dick or harry can have a podcast, but these guys never went to school and learned how to talk about these situations.

There is a reason a lot of people didn't get involved when all this stuff broke out. There are certain media people that have extensive knowledge on how to do things properly and it was left to them. At the end of the day if people like Westhead or Katie Strang are on the story it's best to just leave them to it and avoid any damage it could cause your brand or you legally.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Look at John Scott, he said something about Perry and had to back pedal.

Any tom dick or harry can have a podcast, but these guys never went to school and learned how to talk about these situations.

There is a reason a lot of people didn't get involved when all this stuff broke out. There are certain media people that have extensive knowledge on how to do things properly and it was left to them. At the end of the day if people like Westhead or Katie Strang are on the story it's best to just leave them to it and avoid any damage it could cause your brand or you legally.

Nice. Good thoughtful post. Thanks and agree

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Really starting to dislike this schtick lowetide has for declan.

At first I thought it was just an older guy take some harmless jabs, but man it's becoming intolerable.

I get that sometimes you go over talking with someone so naturally that is going to leave Declan short to talk about his brief once a week segment. But how lowetide tries to take it over and change the topic because he doesn't like the topic on hand is pretty sickening.

It's not like everything lowetide talks about is everyone's cup of tea, but most have the knowledge that not everything on a sports show will be for them and they listen anyway.

Show the guy respect and just be quiet when he's doing his 5 minutes. Makes for horrible radio the way things are now.
Mitchell just bables now. Becoming an incoherent old man.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Would kill for a Canadian version of this.

Considered cancelling cable, but the price of SN + TSN (that from what I hear doesn't work great) + PGA Live is getting near the ballpark of the price of my cable package anyways. I also don't have to deal with occasional buffering issues or it being slightly behind live, which is a problem when people text you about goals that haven't been scored yet.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad